Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

More Local Media Coverage...

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/26343773/article-Top-ranked-Bears-tame--Stangs?instance=home_sports

Top-ranked Bears tame ’Stangs

by JOE CANNON Banner Assistant Sports Editor 8 hours ago | 189 views | 0  | 6  |  | 

spt BC v WV wrestle 19115

view slideshow (62 images)

Coming off an emotional victory over archrival Cleveland High Tuesday, Bradley Central wrestling coach Ben Smith was worried about a letdown when his top-ranked Bears faced their other county rival, but Thursday’s fears proved unfounded.

“We were a little flat in some places and I’d liked to have seen more fight at others, but it’s hard to complain about a 59-12 win,†the Bear mentor remarked after the special alumni night activities.

“Tuesday (the 39-27 victory over the second-ranked Blue Raiders) took a lot out of us, and Walker Valley came at us with a good effort. I knew they’d be ready. They kept it close and fought hard.â€

With a special battle between Lake Forest and Ocoee middle schools beforehand, and the recognition of more than 50 former Bears, the varsity match provided the crowd of over 1,000 fans plenty to cheer about.

“We hope this will be an annual event (alumni night). I think it went good with the middle school kids getting to wrestle on a big stage before the two county teams met,†remarked Coach Smith.

“The middle school programs are a big part of the success of our high school programs here in the county.â€

Ranked atop the PinTN.com Class AAA ratings this week, Bradley will take its 14-2 dual meet record to Johnson City today to face fifth-ranked (D-II) Christian Brothers and the eighth-ranked host Science Hill squad in the Moffatt Duals. The Bears will participate in the always challenging Fandetti-Richardson Brawl Saturday.

“This is going to be a tough weekend,â€â€ˆCoach Smith assessed. “With Walker Valley tonight (Thursday) that gives us three straight days of weigh-ins and matches, just like it will be at the state tournament, so I’m hoping this will help us get prepared for that.â€

Meanwhile, the Mustangs will host the Walker Valley Duals with a half dozen teams gathering at “The Stable†for a day full of mat action Saturday. Ninth-ranked Tullahoma and No. 10 Knox Halls will highlight the field that also includes Maryville, Ooltewah and Notre Dame joining the Mustangs.

With Thursday’s meet starting in the middle of the Bears’ “Murderer’s Row†with the 113-pound weight class, Bradley jumped out to a quick lead with a pair of pins sandwiched around a major decision in the first three battles.

Two-time state champion and No. 1-ranked senior Toribio Navarro needed just 37 seconds to get the referee to slap the mat in the opening match, before third-ranked sophomore Ryan McElhaney posted a 13-3 win in the 120-pound tangle.

Sophomore Knox Fuller, ranked No. 1 in the state 126-pound poll, posted a second-period pin to thrust the Bears out to a 16-0 advantage.

Sixth-ranked sophomore Joseph Munoz put Walker Valley (12-8) on the scoreboard with an 8-2 decision in the 132-pound match, but the Bears answered with five straight wins, plus accepted a pair of forfeits.

Bradley got an 8-4 decision from fifth-ranked senior Stephen Scott at 138, before sixth-ranked sophomore Donnie Beyer posted a 19-7 major decision at 145.

Caleb Adkins and Jack Bandy had back-to-back “sticks†for the Bears at 152 and 160, respectively, before 182-pounder Ed Elkins also put his opponent’s shoulders to the mat in between a pair of “walk over†wins.

Despite being down by 50 points, the Mustangs didn’t quit as third-ranked senior Ric Kennett powered his way to a pin victory with just 79 seconds gone in the 220-pound match.

Walker Valley got a second straight win when CJ Schwark claimed an overtime takedown for a 3-1 decision in the heavyweight match.

After the longest match of the evening, top-ranked sophomore TJ Hicks capped off the Bear victory with the night’s quickest win, needing just 19 seconds for a pin of his 106-pound opponent.

“It’s obvious that we are a very young team, going against the top-ranked D-I team in the state, but I was pleased with the effort my guys gave,â€â€ˆcommented Mustang coach Alan Morris. “I can see improvement in my guys, but we still have a long way to go. We graduated a lot of seniors last year, so we have a lot of young guys.â€

BEARS 59, MUSTANGS 12

match started at 113

106 — TJ Hicks (BC) pinned Chandler Davis, :17; 113 — Toribio Navarro (BC) pinned Gitapun Jur, :37; 120 — Ryan McElhaney BC major dec. Zane Smith. 13-3; 126 — Knox Fuller BC pinned Robert Varner, 3:04; 132 — Joseph Munoz (WV dec. Joshua LaCoe, 8-2; 138 — Stephen Scott BC dec. Austin Gregory, 8-4; 145 — Donnie Beyer (BC major dec. Mikel Gregory, 19-7; 152 — Caleb Adkins BC pinned Danny Nguyen, 1:57; 160 — Jack Bandy BC pinned Justin Rowland, 1:55; 170 — Corey Gatlin BC won by forfeit; 182 — Ed Elkins BC pinned Matt Pankey, 1:13; 195 — Brett Brown BC won by forfeit; 220 — Ric Kennett (WV) pinned Tripp Storrs, 1:19; CJ Schwark (WV) dec. DJ Adams, 3-1, OT.

Even McMinnville covers their Struggling team....

http://www.southernstandard.com/section/3/article/26807/preview/

Determined Martin, a fixture in Warren Co wrestling...

Coach Stephen Martin said “The Cookeville match is very indicative of our team’s problems this year. Out of the 14 weight classes we could only fill seven of those. We would have had to win every match by pin and the best we could hope for would be a tie.â€

Edited by Sommers

Something all of Tennessee can be proud of, a multi D1 State Champs and Ivy League wrestler and graduate covered by a neighboring county's newspaper.

Thanks Ward...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2015/jan/09/wrestling-educatihbegun-anew-bradleys-creagan/281748/

Wrestling education has begun anew for Bradley's Creagan

January 9th, 2015by Ward Gossett in Sports - PrepsRead Time: 3 mins.

Bradley Central assistant coach Travis Creagan watches the match against Baylor on Tuesday. Photo by Angela Lewis Foster/Times Free Press.

CLEVELAND, Tenn. -- One of Bradley Central's most decorated wrestlers has returned home and, spurning a career in law, has joined the school as a teacher and coach.

And while Travis Creagan thought initially that after earning a degree at Columbia his education was pretty much done, he has discovered that there is as much to learning the tools of a trainer as there was to being trained.

He learned the hard way earlier this season about professional decorum demanded of coaches. He went to bat for one of Bradley's wrestlers and wound up getting ejected from a match. His intent was good; his approach not so good.

Lesson learned. There are differences as wrestler and coach and from the college level back to high school.

"It's about as different as it can get," said Creagan, who decided against the legal profession after spending time in the law department of Jones Management in Cleveland. "When I was a trainee I had trainers that, whether I liked it or not, made sure I did what I needed to do.

"There are expectations placed on when you enter this (practice) room, and it's a great source of motivation. It was interesting, but I realized law wasn't where I wanted to be. It's interesting, but I didn't think I'd be happy doing that."

Even while working in the world of suits-and-ties, he kept drifting back to Bradley, where much of his life had been molded.

"I realized I was gravitating back here to work out or just to say hey," he said.

So now he is a history teacher and first-year assistant wrestling coach for the school where he was a four-time state medalist, three-time state finalist and two-time state champion.

While his collegiate aspirations as a wrestler were wrecked by a freshman shoulder injury that nagged him until he turned in his singlet midway of his junior season, he has, at least for the moment, found his niche.

"I think so," he agreed. "Although I'm young, of the jobs I've had this is the most fulfilling. Wrestling is such a huge part of my life. When I quit in college it was weird not being a wrestler anymore. There was a void. I can't imagine not having wrestling in my life."

So the education begins anew, and this road has more bumps than that even of a freshman wrestler.

"I know what it feels like to underachieve and know that I could've done something to avoid negative outcomes," Creagan said. "I see kids doing it and I really don't want them to go through that. You have to put them through the sweating and exhaustion before they can grasp what it takes to avoid losses."

He also is learning when to offer a hug or pat on the backside and when to bark.

"I've made some mistakes where I don't know kids as well as I'd like. Different kids have different needs," he said.

He's learning every day and Bears coach Ben Smith said that he hasn't been as demanding as he will be while he waits, sometimes impatiently, for Creagan to establish himself in the classroom.

"He's getting away with a lot right now," Smith said with a smile. "He's focusing on being a teacher first. I haven't asked a lot of Travis yet. What I look for from coaches is what Coach (Steve) Logsdon looked for out of me, and it took me four or five years to get there. Travis would be successful wherever he was and whatever he was doing."

Creagan has had his eyes opened to coaching and was surprised at how much there is to the profession beyond the mat or the wrestling room.

"I'm humbled," he said. "Ben does so much. I don't think 10 percent of people could handle what he does -- coaching the team, the liaison with the kids clubs and the middle school, parents and personal life.

"One of the things I'm beginning to realize is how much I represent something larger than myself and that my actions have consequences, both negative and positive. I'm still awfully young, and I realize there are lots of things to learn."

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

Impressive finish especially for Summit and then Soddy Brentwood Clarksville! ...Blackman Improving... & Stewarts Creek coming right along for a younger program testing their abilities with the BIG BOYS...

GP West Team Scores

1. Union county 282.0

2. Cleveland 233.0

3. Soddy Daisy 156.0

4. Summitt 147.5

5. McCallie 144.0

6. Brentwood High School 137.0

7. Blackman 132.5

8. Clarksville 125.0

9. Ravenwood 120.5

10. Overton 106.5

11. Antioch 101.0

12. Cookeville 98.0

13. Stewart`s Creek 91.0

14. Oakland 84.5

15. Siegel 71.5

16. West Creek 69.5

17. Page 64.0

18. Dickson County 47.0

19. Centennial 42.0

20. Germantown Houston 40.5

• Upvote 1

Peck is beginning to show those usual mid to late season surprises (even today, again at Brentwood 's GP West) ...

Ravenwood's wrestling team clinched a 39-33 win at Brentwood High Tuesday night.

Winning for Ravenwood was Tripp Waring (138), Alex Omessi (182) and Andrew Rappe' (195) by fall, Nichlolas Freeman (113) by 12-2 major decision, Chris Rowland (145) by 15-8 decision, Alec Finney (160) by sudden victory-1, Seth Rowland (170) by 19-5 technical fall and Ryan Geltch (285) by forfeit.

Cousin to Wards of McCallie- Tim Smartt (106), Tristan Roa (120), Chip Brothers (126),.Cousin to Wards of McCallie- Jacob Smartt (132) and Luke Hamilton (152) won by fall for Brentwood, and Mason Wood (220) won by 16-12 decision.

Brentwood was ranked No. 11 in the latest Tennessee High School Wrestling Poll.

• Upvote 1

UTC Update from the Chattanooga...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/1/10/291795/Moc-Wrestlers-Close-Out-Virginia-Duals.aspx

Moc Wrestlers Close Out Virginia Duals With Win

Saturday, January 10, 2015

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team took first place in the Bronze bracket of the Virginia Duals with today’s 27-9 win over Kent State in Hampton, Va.  The Mocs won seven individual bouts to even their season record at 5-5 while the Flashes drop to 6-10 overall.

These two teams met once before this season.  Chattanooga scored a 23-15 win over then-No. 25 KSU at the Eastern Michigan Duals on Nov. 15.  Kent State came into the weekend No. 20 in the Intermat tournament rankings, but unlisted in the dual top 25. 

The three Seans dominated the morning for the Mocs.  Sophomore Sean Mappes led the way with a pin at 174.  It was his team-leading fourth fall of the season.  Senior Shawn Greevy scored a technical fall at 149 while senior Sean Boyle had a major decision at 125. 

Junior Austin Sams and sophomore Jared Johnson capped off a solid individual weekend with their fourth win each in the tournament.  Sams posted an 8-6 decision over Andy Candiello at 157.  Johnson had a 3-2 win against Mimmo Lytle at 285.  Both avenged losses to these same opponents in the dual earlier in the season.

Chattanooga is back in action on Friday, Jan. 16, when it opens Southern Conference action at Gardner-Webb.  Match time is set for 6:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) in Boiling Springs, N.C.  The next home dual is Sunday, Jan. 18, against Campbell at 2:00 p.m. in Maclellan Gym. 

Chattanooga 27 – Kent State 9

125: No. 10 Sean Boyle (UTC) – MD 12-4 - Edilberto Vinas (KSU) – UTC 4-0

133: No. 16 Nick Soto (UTC) – Dec. 7-3 - Kyle Lukowich (KSU) – UTC 7-0

141: Tyler Small (KSU) – SV-1 5-3 - Michael Pongracz (UTC) – UTC 7-3

149: Shawn Greevy (UTC) – TF 17-2 - Michael Depalma (KSU) – UTC 12-3

157: Austin Sams (UTC) – Dec. 8-6 - Andy Candiello (KSU) – UTC 15-3

165: Tyler Buckwalter (KSU) – Dec. 4-2 - Justin Lampe (UTC) – UTC 15-6

174: Sean Mappes (UTC) – Fall 1:27 - Jerald Spohn (KSU) – UTC 21-6

184: John Shrader (UTC) – Dec. 7-4 - Michael Vollant (KSU) – UTC 24-6

197: Cole Baxter (KSU) – Dec. 5-2 - Scottie Boykin (UTC) – UTC 24-9

285: Jared Johnson (UTC) – Dec. 3-2 - Mimmo Lytle (KSU) – UTC 27-9

• Upvote 1

Al Jr comes to home town and tells AL Sr "Wuz up!"

Thanks Mr Hunt...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/1/10/291800/Tullahoma-Wins-Walker-Valley-Duals-Over.aspx

Tullahoma Wins Walker Valley Duals Over Halls

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - by special report to chattanoogan.com

CHARLESTON, Tenn. -- The Tullahoma Wildcats claimed first place in the Walker Valley Duals on Saturday afternoon after beating the Knoxville Halls Red Devils by a scant 35-33 final in the championship match.

Tullahoma claimed first place in its pool with wins over Notre Dame and Ooltewah while Halls beat host Walker Valley to win its pool.

The Halls-Walker Valley match ended in a 37-37 tie and it took the eighth criteria to determine a winner.  Taking the total number of first points scored in each match, Halls had the edge, 16-10.

Walker Valley had beaten Notre Dame by 54-23 and Maryville by 50-27 before the loss to Halls.

"That was a tough way to lose that last match, but Halls and Tullahoma both looked good today," said Walker Valley coach and tournament director Al Morris.

"Our tournament was smaller than normal because several teams couldn't make it, but this is just another opportunity for us to get ready for the post-season tournaments.

Walker Valley, improving to 14-9 after going 2-1 on Saturday, returns to action on Tuesday when they host Soddy Daisy before hosting Cleveland on Thursday.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@Comcast.net)

Girls Wrestling Update...

• California, Oregon, Guam, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Texas, Hawaii and Washington sponsor a state high school championship. It is also an official high school sport in New York City.

• The National High School Federation of Associations reported that there are 1,158 girls wrestling teams nationwide and 9,904 girls participating in the sport. Both figures are more than double 2004 levels and the level of athlete participation had risen more than tenfold since 1994.

• Women's wrestling became an Olympic sport in 2002 and debuted at the 2004 games.

• There are currently 24 collegiate varsity women's wrestling programs nationwide.

http://m.pe.com/articles/girls-757943-corona-wrestling.html

• Upvote 1

Impressive Baylor finishes high in probably the toughest tournament in the SE right now...

Takedown Sportswear Invitational at Archer, the back-to-back State champions in 6-AAAAAA hosted the 39 school event which show cased top teams from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina.

SCHS head Coach Randy Prater said, “This is by far the toughest tournament in the state. "

Besides Archer, other top finishers were Thompson HS which is the 2014 Alabama State Champion. According to this article, 3rd was Baylor who placed fourth in the state of Tennessee last year. Gilmer won GHSA 5A State titles in 2013 and 2014. Commerce was the 2014 GHSA 1A State Champion.

http://www.covnews.com/section/25/article/57667/

• Upvote 1

More Thorough Local Coverage...

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/26348595/article-WV%E2%80%88Duals-help--Stangs-tune-up?instance=home_sports

WV Duals help ’Stangs tune up

by RICHARD ROBERTS Banner Sports Editor 21 hours ago | 322 views | 0  | 9  |  | 

WALKER VALLEY wrestler Austin Gregory, top, works for the pin against Notre Dame's Alex Breaker in a 145-pound match during the Walker Valley Duals on Saturday at “The Stable.†The Mustangs defeated the Irish and Maryville, but lost on a tie-breaker criteria in a match to Knoxville Halls in the six-team event. Banner photo, LYNNAE ROBERTS

The Walker Valley Mustangs tuned up for two big District 5-AAA wrestling matches this week against Soddy-Daisy and Cleveland with a third-place finish at the Walker Valley Duals Saturday inside “The Stable.â€

The Mustangs finished second to Halls in the pool that also included Maryville.

Tullahoma won the other pool over Notre Dame and Ooltewah.

Tullahoma and Halls battled it out in the championship match with Tullahoma winning the title by a narrow 35-33 margin.

“I thought we wrestled well today. We’re still missing some starters as are some of the other teams here. It’s just part of the wrestling season. It’s pretty grueling on the body. We’ve got guys who are hopefully going to be coming back real soon,†said Mustangs coach Al Morris.

The Mustangs just missed a chance to wrestle in the championship match after tying Halls 37-37 in its final pool match. The outcome determination went all the way to the eighth criteria which consisted of the total number of first points scored in a match. Knox Halls earned the win with eight first points scored to Walker Valley’s five.

“I thought we wrestled well. I was really pleased with our effort against Knox Halls. They are ranked in the top 10 in the state. We went out there and bumped our lineup around because we are still missing some guys. We gave up a forfeit or two but we battled really well. We actually tied and it came down to the eighth criteria. I was pleased with the effort. I’m disappointed in the criteria but that's the way it goes,†said Morris.

Against Notre Dame, the Mustangs pinned the Irish five times and picked up another 18 points by virtue of Irish forfeits in the 54-23 win.

Zane Smith (120 pounds), Ed Johnson, (132), Joseph Munoz (138), Austin Gregory (145) and Ric Kennett (220) all put their opponents’ shoulders to the mat.

The Mustangs defeated Maryville 50-27 in their first pool match of the day.

“We did for the most part what we wanted to do here. We got some guys some matches and that's what is important. It's all about the process of getting to February and trying to be healthy and trying to be sharp and managing our weight better.

“All in all it was a good day.â€

Walker Valley returns to district wrestling Tuesday against Soddy-Daisy at home then will host Cleveland also inside “The Stable.â€

WALKER VALLEY 54, NOTRE DAME 23

(Match started at 126)

106 — Grant Spear (ND) pinned Chandler Davis (WV), 3:24; 113 — Tucker Gill (ND) pinned James Jur (WV), 5:30; 120 — Zane Smith (WV) pinned Camden Dickens (ND), 1:07; 126 — Luke Mullin (ND) technical fall Rob Varner (WV), 25-10; 132 — Ed Johnson (WV) pinned Davis Hodges (ND),1:07; 138 — Joseph Munoz (WV) pinned Daniel Hodges (ND), 0:34; 145 — Austin Gregory (WV) pinned Alex Breaker (ND), 0:44; 152 — Mikel Gregory (WV) win by forfeit; 160 — Justin Rowland (WV) win by forfeit; 170 — Michael Petrano (ND) win by forfeit; 182 — Matt Pankey (WV) dec. Duggan Boyd (ND), 4-2; 195 — Dylan Rutherford (WV) win by forfeit; 220 — Ric Kennett (WV) pinned Patrick Johnson (ND), 0:33; 285 — C.J. Schwark (WV) dec. Hunter Whiting (ND), 1-0.

WALKER VALLEY 37, HALLS 37

(Match started at 120)

106 — Chris Nielson (KH) pinned Chandler Davis (WV), 1:59 113 — Tolliver Justice (KH) pinned James Jur (WV), 0:29 120 — Zane Smith (WV) pinned Josh Gaylor (KH), 1:14; 126 — Trey Lepper (KH) dec. Robert Varner (WV), 6-2; 132 — Ed Johnson (WV) dec. Eric Brady (KH), 10-5; 138 — Joseph Munoz (WV) pinned Matthew Gold (KH), 3:43; 145 — Joe Fox (KH) major dec. Austin Gregory (WV), 17-5; 152 — Mikel Gregory (WV) major dec. Hunter Woods (KH), 16-7; 160 — Colton McMahan (KH) pinned Justin rowland (WV), 0:47; 170 — Luke Harper (KH) win by forfeit; 182 — Tyler Kalish (KH) pinned Matt Pankey (WV), 2:33; 195 — Dylan Rutherford (WV) win by forfeit; 220 — Ric Kennett (WV) pinned Lucas Wright (KH), 1:35; 285 — C.J. Schwark (WV) pinned Walton Elkins (KH), 1:35.

WALKER VALLEY 50, MARYVILLE 27

(Match started at 113)

106 — Chandler Davis (WV) win by forfeit; 113 — Parker Hill (M) dec. James Jur, 7-4; 120 — Zane Smith (WV) pinned Alaeldin Gibril (M), 0:35; 126 — Zackary Buchanan (M) pinned Robert Varner (WV), 4:47; 132 — Joseph Munoz (WV) win by forfeit; 138 — Austin Gregory (WV) major decision Tanner Finch (M), 12-4; 145 — Mikel Gregory (WV) pinned Logan Fuson (M), 5:20; 152 — Danny Nguyen (WV) win by forfeit; 160 — Justin Rowland (WV) win by forfeit; 170 — Hunter Price (M) win by forfeit; 182 — Chad Soloman (M) pinned Matt pankey (WV), 1:52; 195 — Clay Strawn (M) win by forfeit; 220 — Ric Kennett (WV) major dec. Drew Ten Eyck (M), 14-4; 285 — C.J. Schwark win by forfeit.