Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Nittany Lions Sending Rumbles Across America... Coverage of our Shuffle from Afar...

http://www.centredaily.com/2015/01/02/4534283_penn-state-wrestling-nittany-lions.html?rh=1

Penn State wrestling: Nittany Lions lead at Southern Scuffle

From CDT staff reportsJanuary 2, 2015 Updated 3 hours ago

FacebookTwitterGoogle

Penn State’s Matt Brown controls Edinboro’s Patrick Jennings in their 174 pound match during the Nittany Lion Open on Sunday. Brown was one of five Nittany Lions to win crowns.

ABBY DREY — CDT photo Buy Photo

CHATTANOOGA, TENN — Penn State is leading the field in its quest to win its fourth-straight Southern Scuffle crown.

The No. 4 Nittany Lions went 38-7 overall on Day 1 at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga’s McKenzie Arena and have at least one scoring wrestler still wrestling in each weight class. Meanwhile, all 17 of Penn State’s entrants are still alive and will resume wrestling on Friday.

Penn State racked up 52 team points to Nebraska’s 48 while Missouri, Oklahoma State and Michigan round out the Top 5 with 47.5, 47 and 32 points, respectively.

Senior Matt Brown led Penn State on Day 1. The 174-pounder turned in three wins and 7.5 team points with a fall, technical fall and major decision. Senior 285-pounder Jon Gingrich had similar success. The former Bald Eagle Area grappler turned in a fall and two major decisions to rack up seven team points. Both have vaunted opponents next. Brown will face Oklahoma State’s Jordan Rogers in the quarterfinals. Gingrich will battle Michigan’s Adam Coon.

Meanwhile, dual-meet starters Jimmy Gulibon (133), Zack Beitz (149), Matt McCutcheon (184) and Morgan McIntosh (197) all went unbeaten in their respective brackets and will continue to chase championships on Friday. Gulibon has Drexel’s Kevin Devoy next. Beitz will face another Drexel wrestler, Matthew Cimato in the quarters. McCutcheon will wrestle Lehigh’s Nate Brown and McIntosh gets Michigan’s Max Huntley next.

Senior Dylan Alton returned to action and went 2-0 at 157 pounds. He’ll be joined by true freshman Jason Nolf, wrestling unattached at the same weight, in the quarterfinals. Nolf upset fourth-seeded Brian Realbuto of Cornell 7-4 to advance.

The Nittany Lions also have two wrestlers into the quarters at 149. Beitz will be joined by Luke Frey who went 3-0 with a fall on Day 1.

Senior heavyweight Jimmy Lawson took a medical forfeit in his first match. True freshman Nick Nevills advanced to the quarters at 285 pounds.

Jordan Conaway (125), Kade Moss (141), Mike Waters (141), Cody Law (157), Garett Hammond (165), Bo Nickal (174) and Nick Ruggear (285) will resume their quests in consolation matches Friday

Tullahoma News and Guardian Enthusiastically covers their local team...

From The Tullahoma News and Guardian...

http://www.tullahomanews.com/?p=28566

Wildcats hit mats again on Friday

Posted on Thursday, January 1, 2015 at 1:35 pm

By ZACH BIRDSONG

Sports Editor

Through the first half of the season, the Tullahoma High School wrestling team has seen its share of success on the mats.

During the fall semester, the Wildcats racked up a 9-6 record and are up to No. 11 in this week’s the Tennessee High School Coach’s Wrestling Poll. Those rankings combine public and private schools. In the public school rankings, Tullahoma is sixth in the state.

Through the first half of the season, head coach Al Morris has liked some of things that he has seen from team. However, Morris wants to continue to see improvement when the team gets the second semester underway.

“It’s been a pretty successful season for the most part,†Morris said. “We’ve been wrestling a lot of good teams, as usual. We wrestled good teams, but what we haven’t done yet is beat some of these top teams. We’ve been in some close matchups, but that is our goal in the second semester, to get that quality win, not just wrestle close and be satisfied with it.â€

This season, Tullahoma has wrestled four teams in the top 10 of the Tennessee Coach’s Poll and lost all four of those matchups. The Wildcats fell to number-one ranked Baylor 53-19 and third-ranked Bradley Central 58-15. THS also lost close matchups to fourth-ranked Cleveland and No. 8 Soddy Daisy. The Wildcats lost to Cleveland 34-28 and to Soddy Daisy 42-36.

Tullahoma wrestler Chris Howse takes on Walker Valley’s Mikel Gregory on Dec. 18. –Staff Photo by Zach Birdsong

In order to get that win over some of the top teams, Morris said his grapplers need to make little adjustments to their mindsets.

“We are losing close individual matchups,†the ’Cats coach said. “The opportunities that we had to win a 3-2 match, we need it to go our way. We just have to capitalize on the opportunities that we have. That’s got to be the mentality and the goal for some of these kids to realize that when they are wrestling some of these better teams, they can’t get pinned and give up six points, whereas if you just get beat by a decision, you only give up three points. Minimizing the mistakes on that front and getting some wins in those close matches makes a big difference in the change of points.â€

Just before hitting the break, the Wildcats participated in the Bradley Central Invitational on Dec. 19 and 20. Five of the 13 Tullahoma participants placed during the tournament. Cleveland Cyree, Adam Rogers, Devan Cyree, Dylan Pearson and Mikey Lett all finished in the top six of their respective weight classes.

Cleveland topped the Wildcat wrestlers with a third-place finish in the 126-pound division. Rogers took fourth place in the 113-pound class. Devan finished fifth in the 132-pound division. Pearson took sixth in the 182-pound division while Lett finished in sixth in the 195-pound class.

While those five local grapplers placed in the tournament as individuals, the Wildcats also finished in fifth out of 30 teams that competed that weekend. Tullahoma finished the Bradley Invitational with a total of 128 points.

“We had five place in that tournament, and I think the most prior to that was two, or at least since I’ve been here,†Morris said. “We finished fifth as a team. We were only three points behind fourth place. Third and fourth place were Georgia teams and first and second were Bradley Central and Father Ryan. We are really happy that the kids came out and competed. Once again, we felt like there certain spots that the team could have scored more points, and even place, in some of the weight classes that we didn’t. But, that’s where our mentality has to change. We’ve got to move on, get better and get ready for the second half of the season.â€

While the Wildcats are currently sixth and 11th in the rankings, Morris said his team isn’t satisfied so far.

“It’s something that we talked about with the kids [on Wednesday] is say, ‘Hey, this is what you’ve done, and we know what we can do better at and we know that we can do better and we see the opportunities that we have in front of us,’†he said. “Like I’ve said, we’ve got to learn how to compete like a championship team. This is kind of new for these guys. We’ve wrestled with the best teams, but we’ve never really competed with them and now we are starting to do that, so it’s another lesson learned.â€

• Upvote 1

West Tn Press Coverage...

http://millington-news.com/2015/01/01/standout-trojan-wrestler-tries-move-tragedy-losing-mother-new-state/

Millington Star

Posted on January 1, 2015.

By Thomas Sellers Jr.

Jaxon Cook Mother Tribute The New Year will definitely bring changes in the life of Jaxon Cook.

For two years, Cook was a standout for the Millington Trojan Wrestling program reaching State twice. Eying a third trip to the TSSAA State Individual Wrestling Tournament this upcoming February, Cook’s life was going business as usual until September 20.

On a trip for a relatives wedding in Missouri, Cook’s mother Shanna was out running errands when she had car wreck taking her life.

“With my mom passing away, my Dad wants me to go and live with him in California,†Jaxon said. “So I’m just trying to get every mat time I can before I go. I’ve had two matches so far, the first home match against Munford and Briarcrest. I won those and then had a knee injury at St. George’s. I’ve been just trying to get better from that.â€

The knee injury sidelined Cook for the annual Trojan Wars Dec. 13. The junior continued to rehab his injury for one more chance to wrestle as a Trojan late last month in St. Louis. Next up for Jaxon is moving in with his dad William Cook and making a name for himself in the Golden State in the Orange County area.

“If my knee doesn’t get better before or after St. Louis, then I’ll take the rest of the season off to prepare for my senior year,†he said. “But I’ll definitely wrestle out there probably at 160.â€

Under the guidance of coaches like Bill Richardson, Cook reached the final tournament of the Volunteer State twice at 152 pounds. He finished eighth in the 2014 State Tournament.

“I’ll remember mostly through all the hardships, Millington was home,†Jaxon said. “I started off rough my freshman year but through trial and error I got to become the wrestler I am with the trainers and coaches I have.

“They turned me into who I am today. Luke Walker especially helped with techniques,†he added. “Coach Richardson and my step dad Steve Erwin who is the assistant coach too helped turned me into the wrestler I am today.â€

Erwin will take care of Jaxon younger siblings Aaron Madrid and Gracie Madrid. Jaxon said the lost of his mother has been tough on all who love her.

“It’s been really difficult,†he said. “Nothing around the house is the same anymore. Going to tournament or matches, she was always there to support me with cheering or video. But it’s been a rough change but we’re getting through.â€

Shanna was always near when Jaxon had a meet or match.

In her black and gold, she was serving food during tournaments, running the concession stand or aiming a camera at the mat when Jaxon was in action.

Her son believes she’ll still have a front row seat to watch him in action once he suits up in California.

“I hope to go to California and go there make State, place there,†he said. “I haven’t quite decided to continue in college. There will always be a club or something. And I have a job opportunity out there to wrestle at Rampage Jackson’s Academy. So I’ll always continue wrestling in some form.â€

No matter where wrestling takes him, Jaxon said he will dedicate every moment spent in the discipline to his mother.

“Everything I do from training, to what I eat, to everything on the mat whether I lose or win, as long as I give my all,†he said. “I’m going to go my hardest and it will always be for her. No matter what I do, it’s going to be for her.

“If she was there she would be proud to watch me,†Cook concluded. “I believe she is there. She’s with me from the time I get on the mat until the time I get off the mat.â€

About Thomas Sellers

JANUARY 2015

Journal Inc Sites

Daily Journal

West 10 Sites

Bartlett Express

Collierville Independent

Oakland News

Shelby Sun Times

© 2015 Millington Star. Powered by WordPress.Gazette Theme by WooThemes - Premium WordPress Themes

Cael Does it Again...

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/010215aaa.html

Lion Wrestlers Claim Fifth Straight Southern Scuffle Title

Strong morning session builds lead for Sanderson's squad

Follow PSU Wrestling:

Jan. 2, 2015

Final 2015 Scuffle Brackets

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The Penn State Nittany Lion wrestling team, ranked No. 4 in the latest Intermat Tournament Power Index, used a torrid morning session to win the 2015 Defense Soap and Flips Wrestling Southern Scuffle. Head coach Cael Sanderson's squad used a balanced attack of placers at nine of ten weights to win its fifth straight Southern Scuffle title.

Penn State won the team race with 165.0 points while Missouri was second with 150.0. The Lions went 29-15 in the morning session to bolt out to an insurmountable lead over the Tigers. Oklahoma State placed third with 135.5, Nebraska fourth with 116.0 and Michigan fifth with 88.5

The day began with the quarterfinals and for Penn State that meant sophomore Jimmy Gulibon (Latrobe, Pa.) was up first. Gulibon, ranked No. 5 nationally and the top seed at 133, downed No. 15 Kevin Devoy of Drexel 7-2. Penn State had two quarterfinalists at 149. Sophomore Zack Beitz (Mifflintown, Pa.), ranked No. 17, picked up key bonus points with a third period pin over Drexel's Matt Cimato at the 6:35 mark. Junior Luke Frey (Montoursville, Pa.) took on Josh Kindig, ranked No. 2 nationally. Frey was tied 2-2 midway through the third period and was turning Kindig for possible back points when the official gave Kindig a defensive pin at the 5:22 mark, sending Frey into consolation action.

Senior Dylan Alton (Mill Hall, Pa.), ranked No. 8 at 157 and making his season debut at the tournament, was tied 1-1 in the third when he was turned for a quick pin at the 6:24 mark, falling into consolation action. True freshman Jason Nolf (Yatesboro, Pa.), red-shirting this season and wrestling unattached, moved into the semifinals with a strong 6-1 win over North Carolina State's Tommy Gantt. Senior Matt Brown (West Valley City, Utah), ranked No. 4 nationally at 174, posted a hard-fought 11-6 win over Oklahoma State's Jordan Rogers in his quarterfinal match.

Red-shirt freshman Matt McCutcheon (Apollo, Pa.), the sixth-seed at 184, dropped a tough 3-2 decision to Lehigh's Nate Brown, who was ranked No. 3 nationally. Junior Morgan McIntosh (Santa Ana, Calif.), ranked No. 4 nationally at 197, posted a strong 7-4 win over No. 12 Max Huntley of Michigan to move into the semifinals. Penn State had two semifinalists at heavyweight. Senior Jon Gingrich (Wingate, Pa.), the sixth-seed at 285, lost a 2-0 decision to No. 8 Adam Coon of Michigan. True freshman Nick Nevills (Clovis, Calif.), red-shirting this season and wrestling unattached, dominated No. 19 Riley Shaw of Cleveland State. Nevills rolled to a 5-1 win with over 4:00 in riding time to advance to the semifinals.

In the semifinals, Gulibon gave up two second period takedowns and could not come back from it, dropping a tough 5-2 decision to No. 13 Earl Hall of Iowa State. Beitz took on Missouri's Drake Houdashelt, ranked fourth nationally, in the semis and nearly picked up the upset. A third period ride out gave the Tiger a riding time point and a 3-2 decision. Nolf became Penn State's first finalist, albeit a non-team scoring one, with a strong 6-1 win over No. 12 Russell Parsons of Army in his semifinal bout. The win pushed the unattached true freshman into the championship finals.

Brown opened up an early lead on No. 5 Matt Wilps of Pittsburgh and held on for a hard-fought 6-5 decision to advance to become Penn State's second finalists. McIntosh took on defending National Champion J'Den Cox of Missouri in the semifinals. Cox turned a second period escape and a riding time bonus point into a 2-1 win, sending McIntosh into the consolation semifinals with the close decision. Nevills took Oklahoma State's Austin Marshall den, ranked No. 4 nationally at 285, in the semifinals but dropped an 11-3 major to the Cowboy big man and moving to the consolation semifinals.

Nolf met top-seed James Green of Nebraska, ranked No. 2 nationally, in the finals at 157. The Nittany Lion battled the three-time All-American tough for seven minutes but dropped a tough 7-4 decision to the Husker senior. Nolf went 4-1 during his second-place performance in his first trip to the Southern Scuffle.

Brown took on top-seed Robert Kokesh of Nebraska, ranked No. 1 nationally, in the finals at 174. Brown gave up a second period takedown and could not come back from it despite a flurry of shots in the third period. Kokesh's defense allowed the Husker to post the 3-2 decision. Brown placed second with a 5-1 record, including a pin, a tech fall and a major.

The Lions who did not win in the semis roared back to help Penn State in the team race. Gulibon dominated No. 14 Mackenzie McGuire of Kent State in the conso semis, posting a 7-2 win to advance to the third place match. In that match, the Lion sophomore dropped a tough 3-1 (sv) decision to No. 6 Mason Beckman of Lehigh. Gulibon went 4-2 with two majors to place fourth. Beitz took on teammate Frey in the consolation semifinals and posted a hard won 2-1 decision, moving to the third place bout. In that bout, the Lion sophomore lost a tough 3-2 bout to No. 7 Edgar Bright of Pittsburgh. Beitz went 4-2 with a pin and a major during his fourth place fun. McIntosh made quick work of No. 18 Jace Bennett of Cornell in the conso semis, picking up first period pin at the 1:37 mark to move into the third place match. In that match, McIntosh posted a 4-3 win over No 15 Elliott Riddick of Lehigh to take third place. McIntosh went 5-1 with two pins in his tourney run. Nevills was set to take on teammate Jon Gingrich in the conso semis but, after getting banged up in the prior match, the Lion took a medical forfeit. He ended the tournament, starting unseeded, as the sixth place finisher, posting a 3-1 mark overall.

Junior Jordan Conaway (Abbottstown, Pa.), ranked No. 5 nationally at 125, bounced back from a contested upset loss last night to win three straight consolation matches to start the day. Conaway posted two decisions early and then majored Pitt's Dom Forys 8-0 to move into the conso quarters. He dropped a tough 8-5 decision to No. 17 Tim Lambert of Nebraska to fall into the seventh place match. In that placing bout, the Lion junior took revenge on Willeford to the tune of a 10-4 decision. He went 5-2 at the Scuffle during his seventh place run with a tech fall and two majors. With every point of critical import in a tight team race, Penn State got solid production at 141 pounds. Red-shirt freshman Kade Moss (South Jordan, Utah) posted key bonus points with a major decision in his first conso bout Friday morning and both an injury default and a medical forfeit following that. With a top-eight finish clinched, Moss was not done. He pinned Oklahoma State's Dan Heil at the 4:18 mark, picking up his third pin of the tournament. He was pinned by No. 10 Zach Horan of Central Michigan in the conso semis, moving to the fifth place bout where lost 8-5 to No. 14 Joe Ward of North Carolina. Moss went 7-3 overall with three pins, a major and two forfeits for 11.0 bonus points.

Frey responded to his tough loss to Kindig by dominating Central Michigan's Justin Oliver 9-2, clinched a top-eight finish and then downed Central Michigan's Colin Heffernan in the conso quarters to set up a consolation semifinal bout with teammate Beitz. Beitz posted a tough 2-1 win, sending Frey to the fifth place match where he pinned Nebraska's Tyler Berger in the first period, getting a quick fall at the 1:30 mark. Frey went 6-2 with two pins to place fifth. Alton responded to his upset loss in the quarters by catching No. 4 Brian Realbuto in a headlock and putting him to his back for a quick pin. The fall, at the 1:17 mark, moved Alton into the conso quarters and clinched a top eight finish in his first event of the year. He then duplicated the effort, catching No. 19 Anthony Collica in another headlock and picking up the first period pin at the 2:33 mark. Alton took on No. 12 Russell Parsons of Army in the consolation semifinals and worked his way to a thrilling 5-4 win. The decision pushed the fifth seed into the third place bout where he dropped a 5-2 decision to North Carolina State's Tommy Gantt. Alton made his season debut at the event and went 5-2, placed fourth as the fifth seed and picked up two pins over ranked wrestlers.

McCutcheon bounced back with a strong 3-1 win over Nebraska's Aaron Studebaker in his first consolation match. The decision clinched a top-eight finish and moved him into the consolation quarters where he dominated No. 19 T.J. Dudley of Nebraska. McCutcheon was up 11-0 with just :30 left when Dudley injury defaulted, giving McCutcheon two bonus points on top of the win. In the consolation semis, he took on No. 9 Willie Miklus of Missouri in a key bout in the team race. McCutcheon used a late takedown to grab a thrilling 9-8 win and move into the third place bout. The red-shirt freshman took on No. 3 Brown of Lehigh again and fell 4-0. McIntosh placed fourth with a 5-2 record, including a pin. Gingrich took care of Appalachian State's Denzel DeJournette in his consolation match, posting a 9-5 win. The victory clinched a top-eight finish for the Lion senior and moved him into the conso quarters where he posted a quick 15-0 tech fall over Kent State's Mimmo Lytle. In the conso semis, Gingrich was set to meet teammate Nick Nevills, but Nevills was banged up the match before so Gingrich grabbed the medical forfeit and moved into the third place bout. In the third place match-up, Gingrich used a last second takedown to post a thrilling 3-2 win over Missouri's Devin Mellon. Gingrich's third place finish came off a 7-1 record which included a pin, two majors, a tech and one forfeit victory.

Junior Michael Waters (Advance, N.C.) lost his first consolation match of the day, a 10-4 decision, and ended his Scuffle run with a 2-2 mark, including two majors. Red-shirt freshman Cody Law (Windber, Pa.) nearly upset No. 10 Joey LaValle of Missouri in his first consolation bout Sunday, but riding time led to a 2-1 loss. Law went 2-2 with a major. Classmate Garett Hammond (Chambersburg, Pa.), Penn State's lone competitor at 165, dropped an 11-9 (sv) decision in his first consolation bout and ended his tournament with a 2-2 mark, including a pin. Senior heavyweight Nick Ruggear (Oxford, Pa.), making his season debut at the Scuffle, lost his first wrestle-back of the day and ended his tournament with a 2-2 mark.

True freshman Bo Nickal (Allen, Texas), wrestling unattached, went 2-1 on day one and was nicked midway through his third round tie-breaker loss (on one second of riding time) to Wyoming senior Andy McCulley. Nickal took a medical forfeit (which is not a loss) and ended his tourney run with a 2-1 record at 174. Senior Jimmy Lawson (Toms River, N.J.), ranked No. 6 nationally at 285 and the tournament's No. 2 seed, did not wrestle at the event due to injury as well.

After a 38-7 first day, Penn State went 33-22 on day two of the event, posting a final 71-29 overall mark. The Lions tallied 33 bonus point victories over the tournament's two day run (12 majors, three technical falls, 14 pins, four forfeits). Penn State had place-winners at nine of the ten weights (all except 165) and picked up team points at all ten weights. The Nittany Lions finished with 12 place winners.

Penn State returns to action next in a home dual on Friday, Jan. 9, when Indiana visits Rec Hall for a 7 p.m. match-up. A limited number of SRO tickets are available for select Penn State Rec Hall dual meets, although the SROs for the Lehigh dual are sold out. For ticket inquiries, call 1-800-NITTANY. Penn State Fans are encouraged to follow Penn State wrestling via twitter at www.twitter.com/pennstateWREST and on Penn State Wrestling's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewrestling. The 2014-15 Penn State Wrestling season is presented by The Family Clothesline.

2015 SOUTHERN SCUFFLE - FINAL TEAM STANDINGS - TOP FIVE

Friday, Jan. 2, 2015 - Chattanooga, Tenn.

1: PENN STATE - 165.0

2: Missouri - 150.0

3: Oklahoma State - 135.5

4: Nebraska - 116.0

5: Michigan - 88.5

Attendance: 3,320

Penn State's weight-by-weight summary:

* - Note that an (*) by a Penn State name indicates a PSU wrestler who is competing as a red-shirt.

Penn State's 125 agate:

#5 Jordan Conaway (3rd seed)

Rd. 1: Ibrahim Banduka, George Mason - W, 16-1 (TF; 4:56)

Rd. 2: Sean Russell, Edinboro - W, 9-1 maj. dec.

Rd. 3: Ben Willeford, Cleveland State - L, 4-5 (TB) dec.

Cn. 4: Jake Gromacki, Pittsburgh - W, 5-0 dec.

Cn. 5: Dalton Macri, NON-COLLEGIATE (does not count on record) -- w, 8-6

Cn 6: Dom Forys, Pittsburgh - W, 8-0 maj. dec.

Cn Qtr: #17 Tim Lambert, Nebraska - L, 5-8 dec.

7th Place: Ben Willeford, Cleveland State - W, 10-4 dec.

5-2 overall (plus one non-collegiate win), 7th Place

Penn State's 133 agate:

#5 Jimmy Gulibon (1st seed)

Rd. 1: bye

Rd. 2: Drew Templeman, Wyoming -- W, 12-4 maj. dec.

Rd. 3: Eric Montoya, Nebraska - W, 13-1 maj. dec.

Qtrs: #15 Kevin Devoy, Drexel - W, 7-2 dec.

Semis: #13 Earl Hall, Iowa State - L, 2-5 dec.

Cn Semi: #14 Mackenzi McGuire, Kent State - W, 7-2 dec.

3rd Place: #6 Mason Beckman, Lehigh - L, 1-3 (sv) dec.

4-2 overall, 4th Place

Penn State's 141 agate:

Kade Moss

Rd. 1: Ryan Dunphy, Cornell - WBF (1:43)

Rd. 2: Mike Longo, Appalachian State - L, 0-2 dec.

Cn. 2: Logan David, Cornell - W, 6-2 dec.

Cn. 3: Evan Botwin, Duke - WBF (1:50)

Cn. 4: David Pearce, Drexel - W, 16-4 maj. dec.

Cn. 5: Jason Estevez, Buffalo - W, inj. def.

Cn. 6: Nick Arujau, Cornell - W, med. frf.

Cn. Qtr: Dean Heil, Oklahoma State - WBF (4:18)

Cn. Semi: #10 Zach Horan, Central Michigan - LBF (2:41)

5th Place: #14 Joey Ward, North Carolina - L, 5-8 dec.

7-3 overall, 6th Place

Michael Waters

Rd. 1: Randy Cruz, Lehigh - L, 2-13 maj. dec.

Cn. 2: Zach Isenhour, George Mason - W, 14-1 maj. dec.

Cn. 3: Franco, Ferraina, Drexel - W, 11-1 maj. dec.

Cn. 4: Jason Estevez, Buffalo - L, 6-10 dec.

2-2 overall

Penn State's 149 agate:

#17 Zack Beitz (8th seed)

Rd. 2: Nick Adams, Northern Colorado - W, 12-3 maj. dec.

Rd. 3: Beau Donahue, North Carolina St. - W, 7-1 dec.

Qtrs: Matt Cimato, Drexel - WBF (6:35)

Semis: #4 Drake Houdashelt, Missouri - L, 2-3 dec.

Con Semi: Luke Frey, Penn State - W, 2-1 dec.

3rd: #7 Edgar Bright, Pittsburgh - L, 2-3 dec.

4-2 overall, 4th Place

Luke Frey (10th seed)

Rd. 1: Cole Graves, The Citadel - WBF (3:55)

Rd. 2: Jake Elliott, Wyoming - W, 6-5 dec.

Rd. 3: Justin Arthur, Nebraska - W, 9-3 dec.

Qtrs: #2 Josh Kindig, Oklahoma State - LBF (5:22)

Cn. 6: Justin Oliver, Central Michigan -- W, 9-2 dec.

Cn. Qtr: Colin Heffernan, Central Michigan - W, 5-2 dec.

Con Semi: #17 Zack Beitz, Penn State - L, 1-2 dec.

5th: Tyler Berger, Nebraska - WBF (1:30)

6-2 overall, 5th Place

Penn State's 157 agate:

#8 Dylan Alton (5th seed)

Rd. 2: Rodney Shepard, North Carolina State - W, 4-0 dec.

Rd. 3: Jake Salazar, Michigan - W, 3-1 (SV)

Qtrs: Aaron Walker, The Citadel - LBF (6:24)

Cn. 6: #4 Brian Realbuto, Cornell - WBF (1:17)

Cn. Qtr: #19 Anthony Collica, Oklahoma State - WBF (2:33)

Cn. Semi: #12 Russell Parsons, Army - W, 5-4 dec.

3rd: Tommy Gantt, Nebraska - L, 2-5 dec.

5-2 overall, 4th Place

Cody Law

Rd. 2: Craig Eifert, Cornell - L, 4-7 dec.

Cn. 2: Wally Maziarz, Buffalo - W, 2-0 dec.

Cn. 3: Daniel Luty, Campbell - W, 10-2 maj. dec.

Cn. 4: #10 Joey LaValle, Missouri - L, 1-2 dec.

2-2 overall

*Jason Nolf

Rd. 2: Greg Flournoy, George Mason - W, 9-4 dec.

Rd. 3: #4 Brian Realbuto, Cornell - W, 7-4 dec.

Qtrs: Tommy Gantt, North Carolina State - W, 6-1 dec.

Semis: #12 Russell Parsons, Army - W, 6-1 dec.

Finals: #2 James Green, Nebraska - L, 4-7 dec.

4-1 overall, 2nd Place

Penn State's 165 agate:

Garett Hammond

Rd. 1: Richard Hicks, The Citadel - WBF (2:39)

Rd. 2: Jesse Shanaman, Cornell - W, 4-3 dec.

Rd. 3: #1 Alex Dieringer, Oklahoma State - L, 4-14 maj. dec.

Cn. 4: Ethan Ramos, North Carolina - L, 9-11 (sv)

2-2 overall

Penn State's 174 agate:

#4 Matt Brown (2nd seed)

Rd. 1: Jack Wedholm, Army - WBF (2:33)

Rd. 2: Dylan Morris, Stanford - W, 18-3 (TF; 6:30)

Rd. 3: Jadaen Bernstein, Navy - W, 16-5 maj. dec.

Qtrs: Jordan Rogers, Oklahoma State - W, 11-6 dec.

Semis: #5 Tyler Wilps, Pittsburgh - W, 5-4 dec.

Finals: #1 Robert Kokesh, Nebraska - L, 2-3 dec.

5-2 overall, 2nd Place

*Bo Nickal (11th seed)

Rd. 1: Jordan Ellingwood, Central Michigan - W, 13-2 maj. dec.

Rd. 2: Ken Radford, The Citadel - W, 10-4 dec.

Rd. 3: Andy McCulley, Wyoming - L, 3-4 (TB2, RT)

Cn. 4: Medical Forfeit

2-1 overall

Penn State's 184 agate:

Matt McCutcheon (6th seed)

Rd. 2: Nicky Hall, North Carolina State - W, 10-4 dec.

Rd. 3: James Suvak, Virginia - WBF (2:21)

Qtrs: #3 Nate Brown, Lehigh - L, 2-3 dec.

Cn. 6: Aaron Studebaker, Nebraska - W, 3-1 dec.

Cn. Qtr: #19 T.J. Dudley, Nebraska - W, inj. def. (leading 11-1 w/ :30 left)

Cn Semi: #9 Willlie Miklus, Missouri - W, 9-8 dec.

3rd: #3 Nate Brown, Lehigh - L, 0-4 dec.

5-2 overall, 4th Place

Penn State's 197 agate:

#4 Morgan McIntosh (4th seed)

Rd. 2: Owen Scott, Cornell - W, 5-0 dec.

Rd. 3: Derek White, Nebraska - WBF (2:59)

Qtrs: #12 Max Huntley, Michigan - W, 7-4 dec.

Semis: #3 J'Den Cox, Missouri - L, 1-2 dec.

Cn Semi: #18 Jace Bennett, Cornell - WBF (1:37)

3rd: #15 Elliott Riddick, Lehigh - W, 4-3 dec.

5-1 overall, 3rd Place

Penn State's 285 agate:

#6 Jimmy Lawson (2nd seed)

Rd. 2: Medical forfeit

0-0 overall

Jon Gingrich (6th seed)

Rd. 1: Kacee Hutchinson, Appalachian State - WBF (4:28)

Rd. 2: George Famutimi, Cornell - W, 12-1 maj. dec.

Rd. 3: #16 Tanner Harms, Wyoming - W, 13-3 maj. dec.

Qtrs: #8 Adam Coon, Michigan - L, 0-2 dec.

Cn. 6: Denzel DeJournette, Appalachian State - W, 9-5 dec.

Cn. Qtr: Mimmo Lytle, Kent State - W, 15-0 (TF; 5:18)

Cn Semi: Nick Nevills, Penn State - W, medical forfeit

3rd Place: Devin Mellon, Missouri - W, 3-2 dec.

7-1 overall, 3rd Place

Nick Ruggear

Rd. 1: Jacob Aiken-Phillips, Cornell - W, 8-2 dec.

Rd. 2: Nathan Butler, Stanford - W, 3-2 dec.

Rd. 3: #14 Collin Jensen, Nebraska - L, 3-9 dec.

Cn. 4: Joe Bexley, The Citadel - L, 3-5 dec.

2-2 overall

*Nick Nevills

Rd. 2: Jacob Kettler, George Mason - W, 6-0 dec.

Rd. 3: Denzel DeJournette, Appalachian State - W, 7-6 dec.

Qtrs: #19 Riley Shaw, Cleveland State - W, 5-1 dec.

Semis: #4 Austin Marsden, Oklahoma State - L, 3-11 maj. dec.

Cn Semi: Medical Forfeit

5th: Medical Forfeit

3-1 overall - 6th Place

More national coverage:

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.centredaily.com/2015/01/02/4535434/penn-state-wrestling-nittany-lions.html&ct=ga&cd=CAAYADIaOTE1OTAyZTg3N2RkNjRlNzpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNFyuA0ZG8US-HSffwP1WRKLFg6Yyg

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-lehgh-wrestle-southern-scuffle-20150102-story.html&ct=ga&cd=CAAYATIaOTE1OTAyZTg3N2RkNjRlNzpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNH6bYQv0rAN2BIp4EYv6aDaEiTF3Q

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/isu/wrestling-hall-wins-at-southern-scuffle/article_d344da54-2124-52f3-82b9-44d1995ee6f9.html&ct=ga&cd=CAAYAjIaOTE1OTAyZTg3N2RkNjRlNzpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNE1auV9LFXp9LN_3FyTFK2IRRfXTg

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/wyoming-wrestling-s-mcculley-places-fifth-at-southern-scuffle/article_467d88ee-a51b-58c8-b761-5f3e3158ad6c.html&ct=ga&cd=CAAYAzIaOTE1OTAyZTg3N2RkNjRlNzpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNEu6OzbTdffuvlsErb9Xz4NVdCuyw

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu-wrestling-in-third-after-first-day-of-scuffle/article_810093a8-380d-5f04-872c-92b35b33de8d.html&ct=ga&cd=CAAYBDIaOTE1OTAyZTg3N2RkNjRlNzpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNHxul_ZoZPkKFgrlIOlSpmuObqRSA

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/uva/no-uva-sits-at-seventh-in-southern-scuffle/article_50f2226b-dd6e-582d-b3da-42c5be64cdbd.html

Edited by Sommers

More Times-Free Press & Syndicated... NCAA Scuffle Coverage...

Congrats Ward...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2015-01-03/penn-state-edges-missouri-take-fifth-southern-scuffle-title-row

Penn State edges Missouri to take fifth Southern Scuffle title in a row

Ward Gossett | Chattanooga Times Free Press

Last Updated - Jan 3, 2015 10:29 EST

Contact |Archive |RSS

If the Penn State wrestling team keeps this up, coach Cael Sanderson is going to have to build a new trophy case dedicated to Southern Scuffle championship hardware.

As the day began Friday, 27 of the 31 teams in the event hosted by Chattanooga had been forced to pencil in winning the coveted title on their 2016 list of resolutions.

That left Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Missouri to chase the Nittany Lions, who were seeking their fifth consecutive Scuffle championship. Then Nebraska dropped by the wayside after the quarterfinals and it appeared that Oklahoma State had fallen after the semis, leaving only Missouri to flirt with the reigning NCAA champions.

2015 SOUTHERN SCUFFLE

Final Brackets The Tigers, who last won this championship in 2006, moved in but then out of the top spot. Yet by the start of the medal rounds, Penn State's victory train had left the station much like the celebrated Chattanooga Choo-Choo.

"I don't think we were wrestling that bad. Penn State was just scoring," Missouri coach Brian Smith said. "Every time I looked up they were getting pins or bonus points. They're tough."

Heading into the medals rounds -- and Penn State had 12 wrestlers who would stand on the eight-man platform by night's end -- the Nittany Lions had scored 13 pins, three technical falls, 12 major decisions and four six-point wins by forfeit.

Penn State finished with 165 points. Missouri had 150, Oklahoma State 135.5, and Nebraska 116.5, and Michigan rounded out the top five with 88.5 points.

UTC was 14th with 43.5 points and two medalists, Sean Boyle third at 125 pounds and Nick Soto seventh at 133.

"I knew that in order to win we've had to [place] 10 and we only [placed] seven," Smith said. "We put four in the finals, but this tournament is like a mini-national. I'm pleased with the way this team is growing up and progressing."

The Nittany Lions won the tournament without a single champion.

"You're always full of emotion right after a tournament, so it's tough to say," PSU associate head coach Cody Sanderson said when asked for an initial assessment. "I do know we have to make some improvements. We have to get in better shape and our guys have to have more of a sense of urgency if we're going to do anything down the road at the national tournament. I thought we had some good individual performances, but we have work to do."

Individual champions were Missouri's Alan Waters (125), Lavion Mayes (141) and J'Den Cox (197); Oklahoma State's Joshua Kindig (149), Alex Dieringer (165) and Austin Marsden (285); Nebraska's James Green (157) and Robert Kokesh (174); Iowa State's Earl Hall (133); and Cornell's Gabe Dean (184). Dean was named the tournament's most outstanding wrestler.

UTC's Boyle wrestled his last two matches with stitches in both chin and eyebrow, and his third place was the best Scuffle finish for a Moc since Soto was second in 2012. Soto also has a fourth among his three Scuffle medals.

"Those guys wrestled well, but as a team we had a lot of close matches and we have to find a win to them," Mocs coach Heath Eslinger said. "We're leaving here injury free for the most part and that's always a good thing, plus we had another good, competitive tournament."

More coverage from all around the country...

http://www.centredaily.com/welcome_page/?shf=/2015/01/02/4535434_penn-state-wrestling-nittany-lions.html

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/psu-wrestling-wins-5th-straight-scuffle/40677/UG-td9ixukKMazSJbUQB1g

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.themorningsun.com/sports/20150103/horan-and-heffernan-place-as-cmu-wrestling-lands-13th-at-southern-scuffle&ct=ga&cd=CAEYASoUMTEzOTAxOTQwNzAxOTMwNjc4MzkyGjkxNTkwMmU4NzdkZDY0ZTc6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNHvmarVOi2EEsInDDq0PkkRRyAESw

http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/02/4446007/duke-wrestler-is-runner-up-at.html

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/isu/wrestling-hall-wins-at-southern-scuffle/article_d344da54-2124-52f3-82b9-44d1995ee6f9.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYBCoUMTEzOTAxOTQwNzAxOTMwNjc4MzkyGjkxNTkwMmU4NzdkZDY0ZTc6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNE1auV9LFXp9LN_3FyTFK2IRRfXTg

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/wyoming-wrestling-s-mcculley-places-fifth-at-southern-scuffle/article_467d88ee-a51b-58c8-b761-5f3e3158ad6c.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYBSoUMTEzOTAxOTQwNzAxOTMwNjc4MzkyGjkxNTkwMmU4NzdkZDY0ZTc6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNEu6OzbTdffuvlsErb9Xz4NVdCuyw

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/three-oklahoma-state-wrestlers-nab-titles-at-southern-scuffle/article_5c5c745c-931b-11e4-8cac-db6da49f74c4.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYBioUMTEzOTAxOTQwNzAxOTMwNjc4MzkyGjkxNTkwMmU4NzdkZDY0ZTc6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNEx1cw9e8Db9H0LVBVoTH7PJ84a_g

Tricycles VA Coverage, 2nd place Ravenwood noted..

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_b67110ae-948f-11e4-8944-eb6368e1bcca.html

PREP WRESTLING: Cave Spring wins Brawl in the Hall

Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:00 pm

BHC Sports Desk

Cave Spring took four individual championships and took first place in the team results with 348 points in the Brawl in the Hall on Saturday at Viking Hall.

Ravenwood was second with 314 points and Tennessee came in third with 302.5 points followed by Patrick Henry (Glade) 247 and Richlands 200.

Tennessee High took two individual titles with Trent Nelson winning at 106 and Dewey Pendley at 138.

Virginia High, which finished in seventh place, also had two individual winners with Roger Miller (120) and Chris Stine (285).

Cookeville Media Coverage...

http://www.herald-citizen.com/sports/item/5590-cavs-grind-out-7th-place-in-tough-soddy-tourney

Cavs grind out 7th place in tough Soddy tourney

Featured

05 Jan 2015 Written by  H-C staff Published in Sports font size decrease font size increase font size Print Email

SODDY-DAISY — Some solid finishes in the top half of the lineup helped a short-handed Cookeville wrestling squad salvage a seventh-place finish in a very difficult Soddy-Daisy Invitational on Saturday.

Playing without three weight classes (160, 182, 195) and against some very strong competition, the Cavaliers still managed three medals, as Ty Hammons won the 170-pound class, Dalton Underwood was the runner-up at 152, and Darren Houston finished third at 220.

“I’m very encouraged with where we’re at right now, especially coming off of Christmas break,†Cavs coach Scott Cook said. “I like the direction we’re headed.â€

The Cavaliers finished with 72 points in the 16-team field. Cleveland (199) won the team title, followed by Wilson Central (132), host Soddy-Daisy (130), Pigeon Forge (129) and Hewitt-Trussville, Ala. (120) to round out the top five.

Dobyns-Bennett (90) placed sixth, followed by Cookeville, Tullahoma (68), Independence (52), Centennial (50), Walker Valley (45), Gibbs (44.5), Suwannee, Fla. (44), Signal Mountain (40.5), Oakland (37) and Grissom, Ala. (22.5).

Hammons finished a perfect 4-0 on his way to the 170 title. In the first round, he pinned Pigeon Forge’s Ethan Olinger in 4:00 before beating Cleveland’s Jonathon Martin 5-1 in the second round. That win came in sudden-victory overtime.

He then edged Gibbs’ Hunter Fortner 4-3 in the semifinals and defeated Soddy-Daisy’s John Williamson 8-5 in the championship.

At 152, Underwood won in several different ways to advance to the finals. In the opening round, he blanked Gibbs’ Elijah Lawson 11-0 in a major decision, then he eked out a 1-0 win over Oakland’s Casey Dibble.

In the semifinals, Underwood knocked off Hewitt-Trussville’s Reece Argo in a 5-2 decision before being pinned by Wilson Central’s Michael Brimms in 2:00 in the finals.

Houston advanced to the championship semifinals at 220 before battling his way to a third-place finish while facing several grueling bouts. In the first round, he pinned Dobyns-Bennett’s Michael Foster in 5:11 and then edged Oakland’s Tyler Hill 3-2 by tie-breaker.

In the semifinals, Houston lost a 2-1 decision to Cleveland’s John Gaither in overtime. From there, he topped Hewitt-Trussville’s Braedon Keith 5-1 in the consolation semifinals, and defeated Hill again — by a 3-1 decision in overtime — in the consolation finals.

Cook was proud of all his medalists’ performances.

“Ty Hammons’ performance was phenomenal,†he said. “The Soddy-Daisy kid beat him earlier in the season, so that win was huge. Dalton Underwood didn’t place in this tournament last year, and he had a great tournament and I’m very pleased with his performance this weekend.â€

Cook continued, “Darren went last year and got shut out. Not only did he place, every match was in overtime. That showed tremendous strength mentally and physically, and to battle repeatedly and come out on top is huge.â€

Also wrestling for Cookeville were Hunter Harcum (2-2 at 106), Justin Rogers (1-2 at 112), Brad Houmard (0-2 at 120), Dylan Moss (0-2 at 126), Kevin Wright (0-2 at 132), Derrick Christensen (1-2 at 138), David Pierce (1-2 at 145) and Jake Partain (0-2 at 285).

“I’m also proud of the guys who didn’t place,†Cook said. “Freshman Hunter Harcum had a great tournament and fell a match from placing, and we had some guys step up while changing up the lineup a little bit. I’m very pleased with where we’re headed.â€

Cookeville is scheduled to travel to Warren County on Tuesday for a match against the host Pioneers and Tullahoma, with weigh-ins at 5 p.m. and a 6 p.m. start. After that, the Cavaliers are set to go to the Brentwood Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

Luther Killian

Tennessee High School Wrestling Poll: 1/5/15

Now in its 23rd year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength. Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

Rank School Power Ranking Last Week

1 Baylor 99 1

2 Father Ryan 87 2

3 Bradley Central 81 3

4 Cleveland 83 4

5 Montgomery Bell Academy 63 7

6 Wilson Central 62 6

7 McCallie 51 5

8 Christian Brothers 38 9

9 Beech 33 10

10 Soddy Daisy 31 8

11 Brentwood 7 -

12 Tullahoma 6 11

Others receiving votes: Arlington, Cookeville, Halls, Pigeon Forge, Red Bank, Science Hill, Summit

• Upvote 1

Cleveland Press...

“It should be a fun dual. I think it’s going to be a competitive dual. I hope it’s going to be a competitive dual. Both teams are coming into it expecting it to be just that. I think if both teams compete to their ability it will be a good dual meet for the fans to watch,†said Blue Raiders coach Jake Yost.

“It doesn’t matter where we wrestle. I don’t think we could fit the fans in here (the Jones Wrestling Center at CHS) and that is the only reason we are wrestling at the middle school. By the time we have our next home match against Bradley we will have our own building.â€

Bradley Central coach Ben Smith and the Bears are hoping to break the recent Cleveland six-match winning streak. With the Bradley program on the upswing and confidence growing, Smith likes his team’s chances but knows it will be a tough match, and is keeping focus on the big picture.

“I feel better about it this year than I have in the past three. I’m excited about it just because we’ve put in a lot of work and they have put in a lot of work. I think we have both set ourselves up to be two of the top-ranked teams in the state. It should be a pretty good match. It should be fun,†he said.

“I believe our guys believe we can win. I believe we can win. I believe if we wrestle five times this year we will win at least one of them. There is a little bit more intensity geared toward this one. This is not a district match that will determine seeding for the region duals, so I’m trying not to focus too much on Cleveland and not focus enough on Soddy(-Daisy) which is coming up next week. At the end of the day, that is our ticket to the state dual, hopefully. But, if we are going to beat them in late January and in February, this would be a nice time to get over that hump and believe we can beat them.â€

The Raiders are excited to have three-time state champion 132-pounder Chris DeBien back in the lineup as well as well as heavyweight Koran Kennedy. Both have been out with injuries, but Yost said they are healed and ready to go. The duo returned to wrestling last weekend at the Soddy Scramble tournament.

“I think without him (Chris) and Koran in the lineup it would be a tougher dual meet to win. Now that we have them back I think it does kind of give us some kind of positive outlook on having a better chance to win. They are good to go,†said Yost. “We wanted to make sure they are ready because it isn’t about winning dual meets and tournaments in December. It’s about the end of the year. That’s the way we train. That’s the way we think. That’s the way our mindset is. We do what’s best for the kids so they can compete to the best of their ability at the end of the year.â€

No fewer than 10 ranked wrestlers will battle it out on the mat at CMS, all hoping to push their team to the win.

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/26327083/article-Blue-Raiders--Bears-set-for--Battle-of-the-Best-?instance=home_sports

• Upvote 1

Flo's match of the week with red shirt Chance Marstellar showing us in the first period (14+- points scored) why he belongs in there with the elite at last week's Scuffle...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251862-2015-Southern-Scuffle/video/755664-165lbs-Quarter-finals-Dylan-Palacio-Cornell-vs-Chance-Marstellar-Oklahoma-State#.VKw7bWTF9K4