Some thoughts so far

dctiger

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does everyone think about single A. I know everyone is predicting Clarkrange to win it but I think it may be closer than people think. I am a Grace Christian supporter but I will do my best not to show my bias. Grace will be a much better team this year than last. They lost one player and their returning players are much better now than they were last year. They start a 6'1 center, a 5'11 forward (both juniors and being recruited by many schools), and also return a region MVP (Best player averaging 15 a game and also a junior) and a 3 year all district point guard. They beat a very good Meigs County team for the District and Region Championship last year. Grace lost in the sub-state game in overtime due to there best player getting injured in the first quarter. Meigs went on to beat Clarkrange in the first game at State and lost to eventual State champ Union City by I think 12. Grace also has 4 freshman that were on the Grace middle school team that lost in the TMSAA region final by 2. I know I am a homer but just making my case. Good luck to all, It should be a fun year.

Its easy to brag about your program if you can recruit kids from all over. Play private like you should.

All the girls on this team with the exception of 2 have been at Grace since the 6th Grade. Those other 2 have been at grace since the 9th Grade. The girls program has not had a transfer in the last 4 years. So its getting old to use the same old excuse.

Asking parents to spend thousands of dollars to have their child play at your tiny school that because of a stupid multiplier, you will have to compete with much larger schools that have abroader pool to draw talent from is not a very good recruiting tool! Three or four private schools have some success and everybody gets all upset. This argument has no merit. I would understand if you were having to play against Webb, Ensworth or Brentwood Academy. Those schools offer full scholarships to players. Grace, Cak and Catholic do not. Parents pay for the chance at a higher education for their children at these schools. Not sure how paying for an education makes a kid a better athlete. Last checked hard work and practice make a better athlete.

I guess the next argument is that all privates have better facilities. I don't recall CAK or Grace having huge weight rooms or football stadiums or fancy basketball gyms like a lot of the public schools have in this area. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Alcoa getting a new jumbotron? Don't remember seeing one of those at Grace, Catholic or CAK.

Just because a person can pay for their children to go to school in a different zone doesnt make it a better sports program. Cant kids in Blount Cnty pay a fee to go to the school of their choice? Should they have to be relegated to only playing each other? Why is there no outrage about that?

The thought that these schools that play publics has an unfair advantage is ludicrous. There are just as many championships, if not more, won by public's as there is won by "pay to play" privates. Sounds like a lot of jealous people trying to clear the way for their uncompetitive programs to have a better chance for success. Let it go for crying out loud!

Must have a kid a Grace. If you choose to be PRIVATE then PLAY private. A talent pool of 20 kids at a PRIVATE school is a WHOLE lot different than a talent pool at a public school. Maybe 3 kids can play, maybe 4. All 20 at a private can play. Why dont you send your kid where there suppose to go. Then maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation. Thats whats wrong with this whole picture. If you send your kid to a private for a better education is one thing but to use that as an excuse to play on a better team is another. Yea you know what im talking about. Go to the school your zoned for. Its a shame that a parent uses all its counties resources to groom their child ( gyms, fields, courts, etc. ) and when it comes time for the systems they grew up in to reap the rewards. The parent up and leaves that system high and dry (FOR A BETTER EDUCATION). We all know why. So if you choose to send your kid to a private school PLAY PRIVATE.

Must have a kid a Grace. If you choose to be PRIVATE then PLAY private. A talent pool of 20 kids at a PRIVATE school is a WHOLE lot different than a talent pool at a public school. Maybe 3 kids can play, maybe 4. All 20 at a private can play. Why dont you send your kid where there suppose to go. Then maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation. Thats whats wrong with this whole picture. If you send your kid to a private for a better education is one thing but to use that as an excuse to play on a better team is another. Yea you know what im talking about. Go to the school your zoned for. Its a shame that a parent uses all its counties resources to groom their child ( gyms, fields, courts, etc. ) and when it comes time for the systems they grew up in to reap the rewards. The parent up and leaves that system high and dry (FOR A BETTER EDUCATION). We all know why. So if you choose to send your kid to a private school PLAY PRIVATE.

Way too many ignorant statements in this post to even respond to