District 4AA 2014-15

QSouth89

Great to see QSouth89 and IrishBBall at Alcoa tonight!

Catholic defeats Alcoa 62-45 to distance themselves from the Tornadoes for 2nd place in the district (currently behind CAK).

The Irish dominated the boards, especially offensively and got many second chance baskets by Zac Jancek and Jordan Anderson. Luke Smith played well obviously (didn't expect any different from him).

Edited by AlcoaBasketball

Enjoyed my visit to Alcoa tonight…love your gym! ABB, still looks like the same stuff going on with your team from earlier in the season. I only saw effort from # 1 from your team consistently. Could never figure out what offense they were trying to run and your freshman, Tykee, looked totally lost! Where is he suppose to play on the offensive end? Doesn't seem like he likes to rebound or get physical either. I did see quite a bit of talent on your JV team so the future looks pretty good. They seemed to play much harder than your varsity and to be honest look better coached.

Feel like we weren't at our best either but aggressive rebounding on the offensive end helped out a ton! Alcoa seemed to be out of position when they were trying to rebound and were always going directly under the rim instead of being in the paint and boxing out. Made our guys look like Russell and Chamberlain.

Enjoyed my visit to Alcoa tonight…love your gym! ABB, still looks like the same stuff going on with your team from earlier in the season. I only saw effort from # 1 from your team consistently. Could never figure out what offense they were trying to run and your freshman, Tykee, looked totally lost! Where is he suppose to play on the offensive end? Doesn't seem like he likes to rebound or get physical either. I did see quite a bit of talent on your JV team so the future looks pretty good. They seemed to play much harder than your varsity and to be honest look better coached.

Feel like we weren't at our best either but aggressive rebounding on the offensive end helped out a ton! Alcoa seemed to be out of position when they were trying to rebound and were always going directly under the rim instead of being in the paint and boxing out. Made our guys look like Russell and Chamberlain.

Nothing has changed since the last meeting, LOL. To me, we as a whole looked lost. I have ZERO clue what our offensive gameplan was supposed to be, but whatever it was didn't work. We've had guys out of position all year and also had a lot of turnovers this year, too. The future does look bright in terms of athletes, but all the athletes in the world can't help us if we don't use them correctly.

Since Alcoa's JV beat Catholic by 1 (and a missed free throw by the Irish prevented the OT) I think Catholic's future is bright too especially since KCHS's JV players (all freshman and a couple of sophomores) get zero varsity playing time and Alcoa's JV players play a ton of varsity minutes. I did mention to someone that Alcoa will be very good the next few years. People do not realize how hard it is to play young guys in varsity games against experienced, older teams. Alcoa, for the most part, has been competitive. Catholic (last year) went through what you guys are going through this year. It'll pay off. I know one thing, I wouldn't want to see them in the post season.

Nothing has changed since the last meeting, LOL. To me, we as a whole looked lost. I have ZERO clue what our offensive gameplan was supposed to be, but whatever it was didn't work. We've had guys out of position all year and also had a lot of turnovers this year, too. The future does look bright in terms of athletes, but all the athletes in the world can't help us if we don't use them correctly.

I totally agree with you. I noticed that several of your JV guys that impressed me didn't get in your varsity game (on end of varsity bench) and some of the ones that I thought were "ok" played a lot in varsity. But you are exactly right, if you don't use them correctly they cannot help you. I spoke to one of your fans at the game and he told me Alcoa has never had a losing season! That is an incredible record but it looks like it is in jeopardy this year unless you have a big run to end the year. I am pulling for you to win the rest.....well, almost. LOL!

Since Alcoa's JV beat Catholic by 1 (and a missed free throw by the Irish prevented the OT) I think Catholic's future is bright too especially since KCHS's JV players (all freshman and a couple of sophomores) get zero varsity playing time and Alcoa's JV players play a ton of varsity minutes. I did mention to someone that Alcoa will be very good the next few years. People do not realize how hard it is to play young guys in varsity games against experienced, older teams. Alcoa, for the most part, has been competitive. Catholic (last year) went through what you guys are going through this year. It'll pay off. I know one thing, I wouldn't want to see them in the post season.

Yes, we've been competitive for sure. The talent is there, so lack of talent isn't why we are where we are. We SHOULD be good the next few years, but that obviously remains to be seen.

I totally agree with you. I noticed that several of your JV guys that impressed me didn't get in your varsity game (on end of varsity bench) and some of the ones that I thought were "ok" played a lot in varsity. But you are exactly right, if you don't use them correctly they cannot help you. I spoke to one of your fans at the game and he told me Alcoa has never had a losing season! That is an incredible record but it looks like it is in jeopardy this year unless you have a big run to end the year. I am pulling for you to win the rest.....well, almost. LOL!

I think we had a couple of losing seasons back in 2007-08 and 2008-09 under Micah Marsh, but he was a proven head coach well before that.

But I agree with what you said our "good" JV guys not seeing much of any varsity time. Maybe there's a reason for all that, but I have no clue what it would be. The athletes are there, tho.

Edited by AlcoaBasketball

Do you think we are playing as good as we were at the first of the year? Something seems different to me but I cannot put my finger on what it is. Thoughts?

Do you think we are playing as good as we were at the first of the year? Something seems different to me but I cannot put my finger on what it is. Thoughts?

Yes I think the Irish are playing better now then at the beginning of the year.  Guys have settled into their roles and the rotation is set.  The defense is better and they've won 9 of their last 11 games and have 9th toughest schedule in the state. If Catholic can find a way to win tonight they will tie CAK for the district 4AA regular season title.  And they host the district tournament. Who really wants to peak at the beginning of the season?

Edited by QSouth89