Big Games in Memphis - Week 0

kwc

By the way, I haven't heard if the North Memphis Classic has changed it's times or not.

North Memphis Classic: (Saturday, August 23 in Crump Stadium)

Raleigh Egypt vs Manassas @ 3

Craigmaont vs Douglas @ 5:30

Trezevant vs MLK @ 8

A North Memphis Classic??? That sounds funny... What sounds even more funny is that its not in NORTH MEMPHIS (Greenhill,Raleigh-Egypt, heck they could do it at Rhodes College) Crump Stadium is in Midtown smh   :huh:

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

A North Memphis Classic??? That sounds funny... What sounds even more funny is that its not in NORTH MEMPHIS (Greenhill,Raleigh-Egypt, heck they could do it at Rhodes College) Crump Stadium is in Midtown smh   :huh:

I would have thought that these games would have been played at RE since Greenhill has been shut down since the Flood. I don't understand why they are playing these games at Crump either unless there are some other extenuating circumstances that we are unaware of.

I had no idea that Greenhill was shut down SMH

Yeah, I didn't find out until earlier in this year when I had to do some coordinated work with the Fire Department out there on OK Robertson. I was told that it took on too much damage when the flood came. All of the electrical equipment was submerged for a long time and everything out there is fried. It's kept manicured but nothing works. They haven't played games out there since. I have no idea what the plan is for it either.

My picks and pregame anaylsis.

Game 1: Ridgeway

I didn't realize that Olive Branch finished 2013 like they did. They went through a major melt down last year losing five (5) games. Throw in the fact that this year Olive Branch has a new head coach because the Olive Branch administration wanted to go in a different direction doesn't help Olive Branch's situation. (An AC promoted to HC isn't a total catastrophe) Then to top it all off, the Olive Branch 'D' will be facing a Ridgeway team that is loaded offensively with two returning WRs in 6'-2", 170 lb. Katavious Taylor  and 6'-3", 190 lb. Caymond Gordon repectively with both having caught five (5) TDs each last year. Ridgeway has, who I believe, is one of the BEST pass catching TE in the STATE. Three year starter Sr. Marquise Murdock, who at 6'-2" has bulked up to 225 lbs who has caught over ten career TDs. Throw in the fact that their backfield has one of the best tandems in the state featuring Sr. Earl Harrison (Ark. State commit) who ran for over 1,700 yards and 18 TDs last year. ( I read where he went to a camp in Texas this summer and got clocked in the low 4.3's or 4.4's something or other in his 40 yd dash). Add to that backfield, Jr. Lelotis Walker who rushed for over 1,000 yards and 14 TDs last year. All of this talent being orchestrated by third year starting Sr. QB, Braxton Conard who at 6'-2", 180 lbs has amassed over 40 TD passes in his career at Ridgeway. Their defense returns the highly sought after, 6'-5", 260 lb. Sr. DE Terry Fultz, 6'-2", 255 lb. Sr. DT/DE Elonte Batemon (Ark. State commit) just to name a few of the returning starters. Ridgeway's season is championship game or bust this year. This is their first 'W' of the year.

Game 2: East

I wouldn't be surprised if Southwind were to win this game because it is being played at Southwind. I remember coach Miller turning Wooddale into a contender back in the day. He's a good coach and he has talent and numbers. They are preseason Dandy Dozen #9 for a reason. I just think that East's team will come out victorious with that smash mouth, run down your throat, punch in your neck type of play. They are the epitome of 'Grit and Grind'. tHEY ARE the preseason Dandy Dozen #8 team for a reason.That nasty defense returns most of it's players and this is going to be a knock down drag out game. East's season is championship game or bust as well. This is their first W of the season.

Game 3: South Panola

White Station is breaking in a new QB with their 2nd year coach. They are loaded, as always, but last year's team relied heavily on Cedric Wilson Jr. This new QB will be baptised by fire.

Game 4: MBA

I know MBA is the visiting team but there was just too much tormoil at CBHS last year and it took it's toll on the season. We will see if CBHS can compete with the big boys with their change in philosophy. I don't think so. I think CBHS will be chained to mediocrity for a while and then realize that they can't compete with the current way of thinking and will return back to 'business as usuall' after a few years of 8-4/7-5 seasons, especially those lopsided losses that will come at the hands of MUS.

Game 5: Cordova

The battle of 2nd year coaches. Coach Jones has been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Coach Hudgins is learning what it is to be a head coach at the top level in high school football in TN. It was evident with the run of wins that Cordova had at the end of last season. I think Coirdova makes some noise this year as they begin to show that they will be a team to contend with in District 14.

Game 6: St. George's

Last year St. George played in the D-2 championship game after losing it's first three game. TCA was one of their losses. This year they start off better with a win over TCA.

Game 7: Millington

Millington switched to a spread offense last year. Their starting QB will be starting for his third season. Germantown hasn't been dominant since Southwind  Houston opened it's doors. Millington is trending upwards and Germantown is trending down. The trends continue.

Game 8: MUS

Both teams are quality programs with talent. If I'm MUS ... i'm running everything behind the young man that every team in the SEC is trying to woo ... big #75, 6-5", 317 lb. OT Drew Richmond (think Michael Oher). When BA starts to load the box I throw it to my 6'-6", 206 lb. WR, Preston White. I noticed when watching them scrimmage Whitehaven earlier that MUS has quite a few players that are 6'-3" to 6'-6" and athletic (roster also confirm this). They have some quality players on defense and I know that Drew Richmond isn't the only player being recruited by a D-1 program.Their QB is athletic, fast, and has a strong arm. The defense is pretty stout. Plus, this is a home game. MUS get's their first 'W' of the season.

Game 9: Whitehaven

Whitehaven is a 6A school and Mitchell is 2A. David and Goliath indeed. Don't be fooled though, Mitchell will be a contender in 2A. They aren't a slouch. Whitehaven is just too deep and too talented. Whitehaven will have speed, talent, size and numbers. Mitchell isn't going to just bow down, but they will get overwhelemed. Whitehaven is returning their Sr. QB, 6'-2", 180 Jordan Williams who went out last year in the East game. Whitehaven's 'D' will be dominant after playing so many Freshman and Sophomores last year. This 'D' will be led by 6-4", 250 lb. DE, Sr. Josh McMillion, who is being recruited by all of the usual suspects. The defensive backfield will be anchored by 6'-4", 185 lb. CB, Jr. Donte Vaughn (already gettiing offers from SEC schools). Whitehaven returns three WRs in Jr. Kerrick Jones (6'-0", 170 lbs.), Sr. LaDerriel Ester (6'-3", 215 lbs.), and Sr. Braylen Rochell (6'-4", 175 lbs.) who will cause matchup problems for most, if not all opposing defensive backfields. (The passing game is a very strong suit for the Whitehaven offense this year) This season is championship game or bust for Whitehaven as well. This will be Whitehaven's first 'W' of the season.

Edited by kwc