Great teams to never win State!!!

Parkdog3412

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veercoach, are you kidding? Goodpasture as the most dominant team in any classification in 96'? Brentwood Academy and Pearl Cohn both would have dominated them. That was one of BA best teams ever, that's of all time. Off that team I can name at least 10 players that did or would have played D-1 (Tito Lee), I'm not counting vandy. As for pearl cohn, Maurice Fitzgerald, Santonio Beard, John Henderson, to name a few. PC vs. BA would have been dream game that year. Goodpasture would have been destroyed that year by either of these teams. Maybe in 1A or 2A that year they were the best. As for Indian, the linebacker on BA's team that year, Austin Kemp, went to UT, the other backer, walked on at Nebraska, Jaman Bass.

Unfortunatly! I remember that 80 Rule team too well! I was on that Maryville team that year. Maryville had 4 straight years of going to state championship broken that year. We didn't even make the playoffs that year.

Terry Minor,James Cofer,Tim Lively and Joe Cofer were their studs on that team. Now! Terry Minor's son Antonio plays for Fulton and Tim Lively's son Timbo plays for Halls.

Fulton is real good now because they are getting kids who used to go to Rule.

Rule was the worst place for Maryville to play. Those fans spit on us,threw liquor bottles at us and cussed us.

This team was was the only year the class of 96 did not win a state championship. The class had only one loss during their 4 year high school careers and that was in 93 to Kingston in the playoffs by 1 point in an upset. Most people around Jasper say this was the most talented of the four teams. That 96 class had a 4 year record of 56-1 with 3 state titles pretty impressive

Clarksville Northeast of the 1995/96 school year is arguably the best team "EVER" to not win state in Tennessee. They pummeled, ran over, and around, EVERY team they played that year with the exception of BA which was their only bad game of the year in which they fumbled the game away yet only lost 7-3 to the eventual champs. They beat down the 10th ranked team in Kentucky 80-20 <~~~not a typo....and embarrassed MBA something like 41-14 (who would eventually go on and take BA into several overtimes in the semis). Northeast's region was probably the toughest in 5A that year featuring good teams such as MBA, Whites Creek, Henry Co, Dickinson, Hunters Lane, etc. Northeast had 3 running backs rush for over 1,000 yards. One of them was Travis Stevens who had over 2,500. This team was considered definitely the most quickest team (overall team speed) in Tennessee history by many coaches that had been around for many years and had coached against or saw NE play that season. That was definitely unarguable as far as their defense was concerned. I played against them and they were ridiculously quick on both sides of the ball. It really was amazing that they didn't win state that year. The only people that could beat them that year was themselves and that is what happened against BA. So not only do they get my vote for best ever to not win state but they are definately one of the best teams overall that their has ever been in Tennessee.

Is Bill Rudder from Franklin County the dentist "Doc" Rudder who practices in Knoxville? He used to have a call in show on 850 WKVL, and still is guests on the Dewey Warren Radio Show quite often.

Posted by woodywilson:

THE 1970 FRANKLIN CO. REBELS LOST TO MORRISTOWN. 1ST YR. OF PLAYOFFS. BILL RUDDER UT, ROBERT ONEAL VANDY, GREG MANTOOTH ALABAMA, ROBERT FRALEY ALABAMA, RON MARTIN AND RANDALL MILLER MTSU, LARRY SAWYER AUSTIN PEAY MAYBE A FEW MORE.

Guest VOLCOWBOY

The Lincoln County program has won 3 State Championships, but they have had some other great teams that didn't make it. The first one that comes to mind is the 1984 team. They went 10-0 in regular season that started with 8 consecutive shutouts only to lose to Oakland 31-14 in the first round of the playoffs. The 1986 team went 11-2 and lost to Jefferson County 28-0 in the quarter finals. The 1988 team was 1 game away afrom the Championship game but come up short against Oakland, 21-17 in the semi's. The 1994 and 1996 teams were awesome as well, but just ran out of gas in the playoffs. But one of the greatest teams to not win the championship is the 1993 Riverdale team. They were the #1 team in state all season long and was even ranked in the National Top 20 I think. They were heavily favored against Lincoln County. They were faster on both sides of the ball, but LCHS dominated them in the Clinic Bowl, 20-7.

Duff said he saw David C. Fritts at Food City last night. Duff said he spoke, but David C. had no idea who he was despite them being pretty dang good friends for many, many years from my understanding.

Looking through moms Clinton anual I saw ALL of these guys, so...are the years turning your hair (if you have any) as gray as hers--LOL???? Or maybe I shouldn't laugh--like mother, like son. I've already started losing my hair and what I haven't lost is turning gray--TEACHING my friend.

[Edited by TheAnswer9 on 11-17-02 2:33A]