Big Games in Memphis - Week 1 Games

kwc

Whitehaven does a GREAT job in finding spots for the kids to play after High School. I have been impressed with this all the way back to when Stan Collins was walking the sidelines. Millington has essentially been a .500 football team over the course of the last couple of years so, you would expect that the numbers getting a chance to play in college would be less than Whitehaven who have won an average of 10-11 games a year during that same period.  I expect that you will see more opportunites for the Millington players over the course of the next few years as they look to be considerable improved and should win or compete for the district title this year an next at the very least. 

You referred to Roland Genesy in an earlier post. He was the "Big" back that played for Millington. He signed with UT Martin out of HS and red-shirted there. He has since transferred to Glendale Arizona Junior College where he had an impressive debut last week. He is now receiving interest from PAC-10 Schools like Arizona State. I suspect you will see him on the D-1 level for the next 2 years. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imma jump in here a throw my two cents in, in which I rarely do... I thought Genesy was then and still now a better back... Thing about millington is, it's north of all the other schools in Memphis... So by time a recruiter comes our way heck they've already used up all there scholarships and want our guys to walk on... And there parents to pay for school with hopes of them earning a scholarship one day... Most of those kids parents don't have money like that and never will... And I'm sitting here with my mouth open for somebody to say that Millington doesn't have the same tradition or history as a good program... Must I remind you that Millington beat Whitehaven when they had Rontay Lang( spelling may be off) or that millington beat Whitehaven Twice in one year Rushin Jones' (senior year). I played at Millington and I played at Memphis... Which I was recruited with two Whitehaven players, Devin Yarbrough and Lloyd Patterson which were good receivers... Not to mention Alan Cross whose at Memphis right now(starting at Fullback/tight end) Lakeron Garcia whose at Memphis right now... Roland Genesy whose in Glendale, Arizona... Stanton Brown who played for Rhodes... Galloway, Calico, Tucker, the list goes on.... One thing about a millington kid is, once you give him a chance in college they will put up numbers and not just be a guy on the ROSTER!!!! Whitehaven no doubt is the power house in this town in football... Last year y'all had injuries, but never get on here and say Millington ain't got tradition or a program with real history... And imma make a bold statement... Josh is probably the #1 linebacker in Memphis... Trust me when I say this Patrick Macon #44 is #2

Imma jump in here a throw my two cents in, in which I rarely do... I thought Genesy was then and still now a better back... Thing about millington is, it's north of all the other schools in Memphis... So by time a recruiter comes our way heck they've already used up all there scholarships and want our guys to walk on... And there parents to pay for school with hopes of them earning a scholarship one day... Most of those kids parents don't have money like that and never will... And I'm sitting here with my mouth open for somebody to say that Millington doesn't have the same tradition or history as a good program... Must I remind you that Millington beat Whitehaven when they had Rontay Lang( spelling may be off) or that millington beat Whitehaven Twice in one year Rushin Jones' (senior year). I played at Millington and I played at Memphis... Which I was recruited with two Whitehaven players, Devin Yarbrough and Lloyd Patterson which were good receivers... Not to mention Alan Cross whose at Memphis right now(starting at Fullback/tight end) Lakeron Garcia whose at Memphis right now... Roland Genesy whose in Glendale, Arizona... Stanton Brown who played for Rhodes... Galloway, Calico, Tucker, the list goes on.... One thing about a millington kid is, once you give him a chance in college they will put up numbers and not just be a guy on the ROSTER!!!! Whitehaven no doubt is the power house in this town in football... Last year y'all had injuries, but never get on here and say Millington ain't got tradition or a program with real history... And imma make a bold statement... Josh is probably the #1 linebacker in Memphis... Trust me when I say this Patrick Macon #44 is #2

GO TROJANS "WE ARE MILLINGTON"

I have always been amazed at how Whitehaven fans seem to bash other programs.  They seem to forget that they have only won one state championship and it took them FOREVER to finally do it.  I'd say they have been one of the most UNDERACHIEVING programs in the state.  After all, they consistently have 15 or so kids sign college scholarships, most to D1 or D1-AA programs and yet they usually got knocked out in the quarter final rounds if not sooner.  They have been out coached year after year, even though they have better talent.

One more thing, Central High defeats Whitehaven this season.  Coach Crutchfield and the Warriors will be up for the challenge.

I have always been amazed at how Whitehaven fans seem to bash other programs.  They seem to forget that they have only won one state championship and it took them FOREVER to finally do it.  I'd say they have been one of the most UNDERACHIEVING programs in the state.  After all, they consistently have 15 or so kids sign college scholarships, most to D1 or D1-AA programs and yet they usually got knocked out in the quarter final rounds if not sooner.  They have been out coached year after year, even though they have better talent.

One more thing, Central High defeats Whitehaven this season.  Coach Crutchfield and the Warriors will be up for the challenge.

I've been singing the praises of coach Crutchfield for a while now. He is a legit coach who the recruiting coordinators seek after. He understands the recruiting process as good, if not better then most. It's not lost on me how many major D-1 recruits he develops. The current D-1 recruit is no exception, but the norm.

I've also been telling anybody who would listen the Central is no longer a pushover team. They are for real, and we were VERY fortunate to beat them last year.

You don't have to tell me, I already know Central is up to the challenge.

I'd say they have been one of the most UNDERACHIEVING programs in the state.  After all, they consistently have 15 or so kids sign college scholarships, most to D1 or D1-AA programs and yet they usually got knocked out in the quarter final rounds if not sooner.  They have been out coached year after year, even though they have better talent.

I think that coaching is probably one of the hardest things to do and really be good at it. Especially on this level. Thanks for the above statement, because it highlights the expectations that are put upon the Whitehaven staff and team. You just stated yourself that Whitehaven is EXPECTED to excell every year. What you stated is correct ... Whitehaven usually got knocked out in the quarters or sooner. Those are not the expectations now. That is a testament to the current coaches and the support system that has been developed. It took Whitehaven a long time to get to this point. You stated yourself that Whitehaven usually has the better talent. Now Whitehaven has the coaches in place to develop that talent.

However, let me be one of the first to say that Whitehaven is not the only team with an abundance of talent. It's just one of many. MANY. Whitehaven is known because of the emphasis that has been put on getting as many into college as you can. Coach Collins had a saying when I played under him. He would always say ... "Use football, don't let football use you!" I just  happen to know the amount of effort the coaching staff goes through to get those young men in school ... not just SEC caliber shools. Just get them into school ... period. It is ONE of the points of emphasis with coach Saulsberry. It's evident he and his supporting staff puts in the work because we are seeing the fruit of their labor. There are a lot of City of Memphis coaches who understand the recruiting process and what their players need to do to get scholarships. Whitehaven is one of the BEST at this. It's no accident. Coach Sutton, Coach Mosby, Coach Crutchfield, Coach Miller, Coach Coles, Coach Alston, Coach Locastro, and Coach White, are others that I see who are good at this as well. They all understand how the process works and they get their student athletes in position to be seen and recruited better then most. I give props to those guys because I see what they do. There may be others, but the ones that I just mentioned do it extremely well from what I've seen.

Getting your players recruited takes WORK. Some coaches just do it better then others. It's just that plain and simple. I can say this with confidence. Recruiters will come to see your guys if you are consistently promoting your guys. It's a LOT of work AND it takes a LOT of COMMITMENT. There are some coaches who 'GET IT'. There are a lot of coaches who don't, or they just refuse to put in the work it takes to become good at it, because it's not easy and it can be very frustrating.

Edited by kwc

I have always been amazed at how Whitehaven fans seem to bash other programs. They seem to forget that they have only won one state championship and it took them FOREVER to finally do it. I'd say they have been one of the most UNDERACHIEVING programs in the state. After all, they consistently have 15 or so kids sign college scholarships, most to D1 or D1-AA programs and yet they usually got knocked out in the quarter final rounds if not sooner. They have been out coached year after year, even though they have better talent.

One more thing, Central High defeats Whitehaven this season. Coach Crutchfield and the Warriors will be up for the challenge.

Are you speaking on ALL Whitehaven fans or just a particular fan? Just curious, cause one fan stating why they don't like a particular team for personal reasons has nothing to do with all our fans. And I'm assuming you're a Central fan, they won't beat us this year! Y'all had us last year, I'll give you that but this year it won't b that close. How do you say we bash other programs and then immediately proceed to bash ours? Truth be told I'm glad Central is finally relevant and no longer a door mat in this region. The more competitive the teams are the better. You can't bash someone for accomplishing something that you haven't accomplished yet. That's called hating!

Are you speaking on ALL Whitehaven fans or just a particular fan? Just curious, cause one fan stating why they don't like a particular team for personal reasons has nothing to do with all our fans. And I'm assuming you're a Central fan, they won't beat us this year! Y'all had us last year, I'll give you that but this year it won't b that close. How do you say we bash other programs and then immediately proceed to bash ours? Truth be told I'm glad Central is finally relevant and no longer a door mat in this region. The more competitive the teams are the better. You can't bash someone for accomplishing something that you haven't accomplished yet. That's called hating!

LOLOLOLOL ... :roflol:

When you present it like THAT!

I think that coaching is probably one of the hardest things to do and really be good at it. Especially on this level. Thanks for the above statement, because it highlights the expectations that are put upon the Whitehaven staff and team. You just stated yourself that Whitehaven is EXPECTED to excell every year. What you stated is correct ... Whitehaven usually got knocked out in the quarters or sooner. Those are not the expectations now. That is a testament to the current coaches and the support system that has been developed. It took Whitehaven a long time to get to this point. You stated yourself that Whitehaven usually has the better talent. Now Whitehaven has the coaches in place to develop that talent.

However, let me be one of the first to say that Whitehaven is not the only team with an abundance of talent. It's just one of many. MANY. Whitehaven is known because of the emphasis that has been put on getting as many into college as you can. Coach Collins had a saying when I played under him. He would always say ... "Use football, don't let football use you!" I just  happen to know the amount of effort the coaching staff goes through to get those young men in school ... not just SEC caliber shools. Just get them into school ... period. It is ONE of the points of emphasis with coach Saulsberry. It's evident he and his supporting staff puts in the work because we are seeing the fruit of their labor. There are a lot of City of Memphis coaches who understand the recruiting process and what their players need to do to get scholarships. Whitehaven is one of the BEST at this. It's no accident. Coach Sutton, Coach Mosby, Coach Crutchfield, Coach Miller, Coach Coles, Coach White, are others that I see who are good at this as well. They all understand how the process works and they get their student athletes in position to be seen and recruited better then most. I give props to those guys because I see what they do. There may be others, but the ones that I just mentioned do it extremely well from what I've seen.

Getting your players recruited takes WORK. Some coaches just do it better then others. It's just that plain and simple. I can say this with confidence. Recruiters will come to see your guys if you are consistently promoting your guys. It's a LOT of work AND it takes a LOT of COMMITMENT. There are some coaches who 'GET IT'. There are a lot of coaches who don't, or they just refuse to put in the work it takes to become good at it, because it's not easy and it can be very frustrating.

KWC, You are always fair responsible and honest. Thanks for setting this up every year. GO TROJANS!!