Ridgeway @ Henry County

MSURacer

Not so true KWC White Station played Oakland this year at the Fairgrounds so having a stadium of there own is no excuse

Bluestate02 ... you misunderstood me. Halle plays their home games at Halle. My comment wasn't about Ridgeway not having a game at their own school. THAT isn't why I stated that the game won't happen otherwise.

Edited by kwc

Jokes aside . . . I don't recall this being a bad area.  Is it now?

No ... it isn't a bad area of town. I even emphasized the location being adjacent to a police precinct to further emphasize safety concerns.

It doesn't matter though.

Edited by kwc

This is not the same Ridgeway team Henry County has seen...they are explosive and take care of the football. Turnovers killed Ridgeway against HC in recent years. Just curious why isn't the game in Memphis this year?

conversation overheard after last year's playoff game between Henry County and Ridgeway

Coach Sutton:  "Good game Coach Counce.  Hey, y'all want to play again next year?"

Coach Counce:  "Thanks so much.  Sure, we'd love to play again next year."

Coach Sutton:  "Paris or Memphis?"

Coach Counce:  "How about Paris?"

Coach Sutton:  "Works."

shake hands and return to their respective teams

I'm lost. 

It's because of scheduling?

Let me help you then Facts. It's a perception issue. It revolves around race. There is no simple answer to it but it affects the "City Schools" that are comprised of schools that have a student body that is predominately black/african american. The mindset is that it is unsafe for a predominately white program to visit a predominately black program in Memphis.

That's the issue in a nutshell.

White Station is located in the Poplar Corridor. It's not percieved to be a "Black" school. It's more diverse with 50/50 if anything. It's student body isn't predominately african american. However, the field they play on, the Fairgronds, is a stone throw away from Melrose stadium, which is in the Orange Mound, an old black community. Even though Ridgeway is located in east Memphis, it's student body is comprised of mostly african americans and therefore it's looked upon as a "Black School" in Mermphis. Therefore, comming to Memphis to play Ridgeway is something you shouldn't do unless you have to because of playoff situations.

THAT's the perception. Whitehaven has to deal with this issue. Memphis East has to deal with this issue. So on and so forth.

conversation overheard after last year's playoff game between Henry County and Ridgeway

Coach Sutton:  "Good game Coach Counce.  Hey, y'all want to play again next year?"

Coach Counce:  "Thanks so much.  Sure, we'd love to play again next year."

Coach Sutton:  "Paris or Memphis?"

Coach Counce:  "How about Paris?"

Coach Sutton:  "Works."

shake hands and return to their respective teams

Coach Sutton knows how this works. That's why he gave Coach Counce the ability to select Paris. It's just easier that way. The game happens. All of the folks in the stands feel safe. No problems.

Edited by kwc

Let me help you then Facts. It's a perception issue. It revolves around race. There is no simple answer to it but it affects the "City Schools" that are comprised of schools that have a student body that is predominately black/african american. The mindset is that it is unsafe for a predominately white program to visit a predominately black program in Memphis.

That's the issue in a nutshell.

White Station is located in the Poplar Corridor. It's not percieved to be a "Black" school. It's more diverse with 50/50 if anything. It's student body isn't predominately african american. However, the field they play on, the Fairgronds, is a stone throw away from Melrose stadium, which is in the Orange Mound, an old black community. Even though Ridgeway is located in east Memphis, it's student body is comprised of mostly african americans and therefore it's looked upon as a "Black School" in Mermphis. Therefore, comming to Memphis to play Ridgeway is something you shouldn't do unless you have to because of playoff situations.

THAT's the perception. Whitehaven has to deal with this issue. Memphis East has to deal with this issue. So on and so forth.

oh

This is not the same Ridgeway team Henry County has seen...they are explosive and take care of the football. Turnovers killed Ridgeway against HC in recent years. Just curious why isn't the game in Memphis this year?

Blue:

Yes, turnovers killed Ridgeway last year. But, Henry County had something to do with that last year. Henry County turned over Ridgeway at a high rate BOTH times they played Ridgeway last year. They also turned over East last year. That's  not a fluke. That's taught. Sure, there are some T/Os that 'just happen', but you can't count on that to happen consistently. HC consistently turned over RW last year. However, last year, Ridgeway couldn't run the ball effectively against Henry County. That had a lot to do with it as well.

This is going to be a very good game. I know they (Ridgeway) is emphasizing to protect the ball. Does it make them become more conservative in their playcalling this year?  I will say this, when Ridgeway played Southwind last week ... Southwind shut down the Ridgeway running attack. Ridgeway still beat Southwind going away. But, Southwind isn't Henry County.

Edited by kwc