Ridgeway @ Henry County

MSURacer

This isn't the main reason HC doesn't play RW in Memphis. $$$$ for both teams is the reason. The gate $$$$ for RW & HC is much much higher when played in Paris over Memphis. KWC, have you been to a game at HC? If not, the crowd would maybe be half the size in Memphis and most of those would still be HC fans. HC fans aren't afraid to come to the inner city for a game.

SEC1rules:

Let's just agree to disagree. I've explained the situation to you guys. Choose to believe what you want. The roads that lead to Henry County from Memphis are the same roads that lead to Memphis from Henry County. The gate is NOT the issue.

I'm going to focus my future discussions on the game rather then the reason why Coach Sutton allows the game to be played in Henry County year after year. The man asked, I answered. I'm moving on.

Believe what you want to believe.

Edited by kwc

As a black Henry Countian who has lived in Memphis (Higbee off Central and worked on Mt. Moriah) I can say with experience- Memphis isn't that bad. It's no Detroit (Another place I've lived.) There are still convenient stores in Memphis without bars and plexiglass.   

Neither the team nor its fans has any concerns about their safety if they came to Memphis to play anybody. With Henry County being a rural place, most fans are capable of taking care of any business as needed. 

Ridgeway and other Memphis teams chose to play at Henry County for the larger monetary split they will get by playing before a packed house.  

GO BIG RED!

Bottomwriter:

I respect your perspective, but it is what it is when it comes to the perceptions of playing a 'black school' from Memphis. It is a serious problem that gets treated like a pink elephant in the middle of the room that everybody wants to pretend doesn't exist.

This pink elephant gets bigger and bigger each year. It's a growing epidemic of gigantic proportions in all major cities, not just Memphis. The black schools in any metropolatin city faces these issues. Memphis isn't the lone shining citidal facing this proiblem.

People just hate to discuss it because it's messy.

Edited by kwc

They went 7-5 in one of Mississippi toughest regions witch include national power and defending state champs South Panola.

Bluestate02 - people 'round here are very familiar with Olive Branch. And know what their teams have been like the last couple of years. Ridgeway beating them like they did says more about the change that has taken place there than it does about Ridgeway being a totally different team than last year. Like kwc stated earlier, its no fluke that HC has dominated the turnover margin for this rivalry between Memphis teams and Henry County. There is MUCH emphasis put on a strong and powerful defense that is skilled at creating turnovers. I expect this to be a great game.

kwc - surely you don't think that HC not scheduling Ridgeway in Memphis is a race thing! We have travelled down to Memphis on many playoff occasions and enjoyed it every time - Particularly going to Melrose 3 times! Plain and simple its about Ridgeway getting a higher payout and Henry County not taking a hit on income from a game played down there. A game at HC pays Ridgeway more than it does at home, even after the expense of travel all the way up here!

Bluestate02 - people 'round here are very familiar with Olive Branch. And know what their teams have been like the last couple of years. Ridgeway beating them like they did says more about the change that has taken place there than it does about Ridgeway being a totally different team than last year. Like kwc stated earlier, its no fluke that HC has dominated the turnover margin for this rivalry between Memphis teams and Henry County. There is MUCH emphasis put on a strong and powerful defense that is skilled at creating turnovers. I expect this to be a great game.

kwc - surely you don't think that HC not scheduling Ridgeway in Memphis is a race thing! We have travelled down to Memphis on many playoff occasions and enjoyed it every time - Particularly going to Melrose 3 times! Plain and simple its about Ridgeway getting a higher payout and Henry County not taking a hit on income from a game played down there. A game at HC pays Ridgeway more than it does at home, even after the expense of travel all the way up here!

Drewcephus, I'm well aware of Henry County's history of comming to Memphis to play at Melrose stadium. But I didn't mince my words ... it's a PERCEPTION issue that revolves around race. IF you think that it's about the gate, then go ahead and think that way. It's a free country. I know what I am talking about. It's just EASIER to play the game at Henry County. That's why coach Sutton allows it. The gate is NOT the issue. You can believe me or not. THAT'S the crux of the matter.

Nobody is pointing any fingers at Henry County or claiming that you guys are racist. THAT isn't even on the table. The problem is WAY bigger then that. You go to all of the metropolatin cities and start talking to the AD's to the black schools and you will see what I am talking about. IT is a VERY REAL issue.

Now ... let's all just talk about the up and comming game that is sure to be a dandy shall we?

Edited by kwc

Bottomwriter:

I respect your perspective, but it is what it is when it comes to the perceptions of playing a 'black school' from Memphis. It is a serious problem that gets treated like a pink elephant in the middle of the room that everybody wants to pretend doesn't exist.

This pink elephant gets bigger and bigger each year. It's a growing epidemic of gigantic proportions in all major cities, not just Memphis. The black schools in any metropolatin city faces these issues. Memphis isn't the lone shining citidal facing this proiblem.

People just hate to discuss it because it's messy.

Being from a "non-black/non-urban" environment, I really have to weigh in here.  You are correct in stating it's avoided because it is messy.  I suppose it is different when you are that inner city or "black" school, however I assure you I am not concerned with that aspect of it.  Being in Sumner County, the new (or anticipated) alignments for next year are potentially showing a couple of Metro Nashville schools being in the new region.  Everyone I spoke to regarding that stated the same thing... gate.  Our programs function and grow based on the $$$ brought in on these games and to remove someone that brings a big crowd and replace them with one that doesn't affects that budget.  I assure you I am the furthest thing from racist, but perception is reality, the inner city teams DO NOT have big crowds at home, much less on the road.

Don't make it out to be a race thing when for "MOST" people it really isn't.  I guess there are two perspectives to every issue.

Drewcephus, I'm well aware of Henry County's history of comming to Memphis to play at Melrose stadium. But I didn't mince my words ... it's a PERCEPTION issue that revolves around race. IF you think that it's about the gate, then go ahead and think that way. It's a free country. I know what I am talking about. It's just EASIER to play the game at Henry County. That's why coach Sutton allows it. The gate is NOT the issue. You can believe me or not. THAT'S the crux of the matter.

Nobody is pointing any fingers at Henry County or claiming that you guys are racist. THAT isn't even on the table. The problem is WAY bigger then that. You go to all of the metropolatin cities and start talking to the AD's to the black schools and you will see what I am talking about. IT is a VERY REAL issue.

Now ... let's all just talk about the up and comming game that is sure to be a dandy shall we?

kwc - I do respect your opinion without a doubt. It is what makes our country free. And with what you are saying, your are correct, it is a larger issue than what is being discussed here.

So now, you never answered my question from several pages ago. Do you really believe that Ridgeway is the most explosive offense in Memphis area? I really have a hard time seeing that, but if you really do believe it then it makes me think differently. I am obviously confident in HC's Defense. That's why I am so excited to see a great offensive power test them! Alot of questions will be answered Friday night...

Being from a "non-black/non-urban" environment, I really have to weigh in here.  You are correct in stating it's avoided because it is messy.  I suppose it is different when you are that inner city or "black" school, however I assure you I am not concerned with that aspect of it.  Being in Sumner County, the new (or anticipated) alignments for next year are potentially showing a couple of Metro Nashville schools being in the new region.  Everyone I spoke to regarding that stated the same thing... gate.  Our programs function and grow based on the $$$ brought in on these games and to remove someone that brings a big crowd and replace them with one that doesn't affects that budget.  I assure you I am the furthest thing from racist, but perception is reality, the inner city teams DO NOT have big crowds at home, much less on the road.

Don't make it out to be a race thing when for "MOST" people it really isn't.  I guess there are two perspectives to every issue.

There are but I know for a fact that Whitehaven brings the house and then some to our games. Quite often we outnumber our opponent. Melrose is the same. There are other 'inner city' schools that are similar. Yet, the perception is the same. If this were a case by case issue, I'd agree whole heartedly ... but it's not.

There are but I know for a fact that Whitehaven brings the house and then some to our games. Quite often we outnumber our opponent. Melrose is the same. There are other 'inner city' schools that are similar. Yet, the perception is the same. If this were a case by case issue, I'd agree whole heartedly ... but it's not.

The reason that the perception is that way is because those that travel are the exception, not the rule. 

kwc - I do respect your opinion without a doubt. It is what makes our country free. And with what you are saying, your are correct, it is a larger issue than what is being discussed here.

So now, you never answered my question from several pages ago. Do you really believe that Ridgeway is the most explosive offense in Memphis area? I really have a hard time seeing that, but if you really do believe it then it makes me think differently. I am obviously confident in HC's Defense. That's why I am so excited to see a great offensive power test them! Alot of questions will be answered Friday night...

Drew:

I answered it. I'm not the one who made the claim that they are the 'most explosive'. My statemenmt was that they are 'One' of many explosive teams in Memphis.

They are explosive. Their defense is better then last year's. I don't think either team holds the other team scoreless. I don't think either team blows the doors off of the other team either. This is going to be the match-up between two 5A powers. I think, all things considered, Ridgeway has the edge just because of the QB situation. Conard is a third year starter in his senior season. That's something that you can't coach that gives RW an edge. Secondly, this isn't going to be a new experience for the RW team. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

This is going to be epic!

Edited by kwc

Drew:

I answered it. I'm not the one who made the claim that they are the 'most explosive'. My statemenmt was that they are 'One' of many explosive teams in Memphis.

They are explosive. Their defense is better then last year's. I don't think either team holds the other team scoreless. I don't think either team blows the doors off of the other team either. This is going to be the match-up between two 5A powers. I think, all things considered, Ridgeway has the edge just because of the QB situation. Conard is a third year starter in his senior season. That's something that you can't coach that gives RW an edge. Secondly, this isn't going to be a nrew experience for the RW team. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

This is going to be epic!

I look forward to seeing the outcome of this one for sure.  I think it has a lot of bearing on the way 5A goes.