Halls vs. Powell, Rival game

RedD

Someone else already summed up this game - Halls is getting better, while Powell is getting worse. A few years ago, I wondered how long it would be before Halls beat Powell again. I certainly didn't think the ship for the Panthers was going to sink this quickly. This is definitely the last winnable game for Powell in 2014. Still hard to believe that 2 seasons ago, this team was a play away from a second consecutive trip to Cookeville, and now they've been relegated to a 1-2 win team.

The most frustrating part - this team needs stability, but Powell is certainly facing a major catch-22. John Allen is not the answer (given everything that is going on behind the scenes), but they need a head coach that can/will stick around, in order to provide some much-needed stability. This has been a painful process to witness, and unfortunately I think it is far from over. I just hate it for the kids who have stuck around through all of this, because there is a chance we could see yet another head coach next season.

Edited by osunut2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what the talk is I hope you guys get a new coach if things are true, seems to be since he ran off the radio guy and then turning a once very good program into a team that is struggling as such, best of luck to the Panthers and its great we are on TV to show the great rival these teams are.

From what the talk is I hope you guys get a new coach if things are true, seems to be since he ran off the radio guy and then turning a once very good program into a team that is struggling as such, best of luck to the Panthers and its great we are on TV to show the great rival these teams are.

Thanks Red, I certainly hope that we can get things back on track. I'm happy to see you guys getting better. Great for both communities and the rivalry.

Thanks Red, I certainly hope that we can get things back on track. I'm happy to see you guys getting better. Great for both communities and the rivalry.

Yeah, it would be great to get this football rivalry back to something like the basketball games are. No matter what the records may show, this game is all about bragging rights and should be a great one.

Someone else already summed up this game - Halls is getting better, while Powell is getting worse. A few years ago, I wondered how long it would be before Halls beat Powell again. I certainly didn't think the ship for the Panthers was going to sink this quickly. This is definitely the last winnable game for Powell in 2014. Still hard to believe that 2 seasons ago, this team was a play away from a second consecutive trip to Cookeville, and now they've been relegated to a 1-2 win team.

The most frustrating part - this team needs stability, but Powell is certainly facing a major catch-22. John Allen is not the answer (given everything that is going on behind the scenes), but they need a head coach that can/will stick around, in order to provide some much-needed stability. This has been a painful process to witness, and unfortunately I think it is far from over. I just hate it for the kids who have stuck around through all of this, because there is a chance we could see yet another head coach next season.

Powell need to land an assistant from Alcoa or Maryville if they're looking for a new head coach in 2015.

Powell need to land an assistant from Alcoa or Maryville if they're looking for a new head coach in 2015.

It's not just that simple to hire a head coach in Knox County, and especially one from one of the staffs that you mentioned. The Maryville and Alcoa city systems are two of the better paying systems in the state. An assistant football at one of those schools makes considerably more money than even a head coach in Knox County does. Once a coach is hired in to one of those systems they just don't leave very often, and with good reason.

HTV beat me to the punch on this one. It would be strange to see any Knox County school "lure" away a Maryville or Alcoa assistant, given the pay discrepancy between KCS and Maryville/Alcoa City.

Edited by osunut2

Do you think Matt Lowe would ever consider coming back?

No. Matt is in a really good situation for he and his family right now. The King's Academy has made a major commitment to expand it's entire athletic department, and they are doing what they promised Matt they would do when he took that job in terms of upgrading facilities and making the financial commitment necessary to build a solid high school football program. Matt has already gotten them to a competitive stage in just his second year there, and his program is helping to draw more students to TKA, which was the reason for offering expanded opportunities in athletics in the first place. In talking with him, and the most reacent time I saw him and talked with him was Friday night after their win over Ezell-Harding, I just don't see him going anywhere else at this point. Like the saying goes you never say never, but he's a great fit for that job and that's where he wants to be.