Westview HS playday

GCPioneer

There were some very good teams at the Westview playday yesterday at UTM.

Teams that really impressed me yesterday....

Westview - They have a new coach in former UT-Martin assistant, Brian Haskins. They are relatively young, but also have some state tournament experience on the team as well. They return post player Dianna Flippen who started for Westview last year. Also, sophomore Lydia Pritchett, who got a lot of playing time last year as a freshman, will have a major impact for Westview this year. Look out for Freshman PG Tasia Jones who will start this year as a freshman. She's the real deal!

Dyersburg - Dyersburg lost some valuable players to graduation last year, but return one of the best AA players in the state in Myah Taylor. With a good and healthy year, Myah should wind up as a AA Miss Basketball finalist. Dyersburg lacks in size, but makes up for it with intensity and athleticism. Look out for Freshman guard, Samariah Thompson, who will start for Dyersburg this year. Dyersburg will be in the running for a return to Murfreesboro.

Jackson South Side - SS is very young as well, but very good! They're led by sophomores Tamia Curry and Cheyenne Cunningham. Cunningham and Curry are going to be tough for the next 3 years.

Lexington - Lexington looked good yesterday as well. They will be led by Adi Hale who is committed to Trevecca. Every time I saw Lexington play this summer and yesterday, Coach Bianca Thomas seemed to be getting the most out of all of her players. They play extremely hard for her. They should be competing for the 14AA championship.

Chester Co. - Chester Co. looked really good at times yesterday. Sophomore stud Paige Pipkin is going to be what makes that team go. If they can get others to step up around Paige, Chester is going to be very good for the next several years.

Crockett Co. - Crockett played really well yesterday under first year coach Megan Witherspoon. Crockett came away with 3 impressive wins. Crockett is definitely capable of upsetting any team in the district during the year. They add depth to a very competitive district 13AA. They should compete well this year!

Perry Co. - Yesterday was the first time I got to see Perry Co. play this year (didn't get to see them this summer), but I was VERY impressed with that team! They beat Gibson Co., Creekwood, and Calloway Co.(KY) in convincing fashion. I'm not sure on the names of players, but they had a freshman guard who is going to be a stud for the next 4 years. This team is going to be good!

Middleton - Middleton is going to be one of the best Single A teams in the state. They lost to Union City in sub-state last year by 2. Middleton returns everyone from that team including seniors; Deja Faulkner, UT-Martin commit, Averyale Joy, Union commit, post player Rachelle Parks. They also have an emerging stud sophomore. If Middleton doesn't make it to Murfreesboro, I will be surprised. They're by far the most athletic Single A team in the state.

Gibson Co. - Gibson Co. is still fairly young and talented as well. Junior, Bri Fields, is definitely one of the best Single A players in Tennessee. Her athleticism and leaping ability is amazing. To go along with Bri, you have a big time shooter in Erin Lannom. Lannom has a quick shot and a great chance at going in every time she shoots it. Sophomore Allie Smithson played very well yesterday as well. Gibson was without sophomore starter Justice White yesterday.

West Carroll - West Carroll is under first year coach, Anna Trull, who is a former standout herself at Bethel. Coach Trull seems to be doing a great job with the talent there at West Carroll. Speaking of talent, West Carroll has quite a bit of it. They're led by 6'4 post player, Madison Heckert. Heckert had a big year on the exposure circuit and is picking up some big time interest. Also, senior point guard, Emani Melton, is going to be tough for opposing Single A teams. West Carroll also has a very impressive sophomore guard in Deidra Clark. West Carroll should win district 13A this year.

Dyer Co. - Dyer Co. is loaded with talent. Sara Owens, Olivia Crane, Makayla Enochs, Amber Thompson, Haley Hicks. All of those are college level players. Dyer Co. is also loaded in the younger classes as well with freshman Amaria Pugh, Je'Myah Glenn, and Torri Daniels. Amaria will see quite a bit of playing time this year as a freshman. Dyer Co. will battle with a very talented Munford team for the district championship.

Greenfield - This team always plays extremely hard. They only lost one player to last years team. They return a very good guard in Brittany Peoples. Peoples is due for a big time senior season. Also, look out for Shaynese Clemons who has had a very good career at Greenfield. Greenfield also has several legit shooters. Greenfield is very well coached and will be a tough team as usual at tournament time.

Conclusions from yesterday....

Single A ball in West Tennessee is going to be interesting. Middleton is the front-runner, but there are several teams that are right there with them. Gibson, West Carroll, Gleason, Greenfield, Dresden (who is without a big time player right now)... All of those teams could make a case as the second team in Murfreesboro from the west.

Double A ball in West Tennessee is going to be a GAUNTLET! So many talented teams with no one standing out over the rest... Dyersburg, Westview, Haywood, Jackson SS, Lexington, Bolivar, Covington.... All of those teams are very talented and good. District, region, and sub-state is going to be a battle for any and every team.

Edited by GCPioneer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report GC, I have been watching for scheduleds and Jamborees locally (West Tn.) you have any information? Glad to see that the Lady Trojans are still looking like they might be competitive, the past two years have been great. I hope that Myah remains healthy throughout and she will be one of the top players in the state. I wonder if anyone is looking at her. I thought maybe Union, Bethel or Freed would all three be great programs for her skills. I will talking with you throughout the season GC......

Thanks for the report GC, I have been watching for scheduleds and Jamborees locally (West Tn.) you have any information? Glad to see that the Lady Trojans are still looking like they might be competitive, the past two years have been great. I hope that Myah remains healthy throughout and she will be one of the top players in the state. I wonder if anyone is looking at her. I thought maybe Union, Bethel or Freed would all three be great programs for her skills. I will talking with you throughout the season GC......

Myah is receiving some pretty solid D-1 interest. UTM, SEMO, SIU-E, Morehead St., Central Arkansas, Arkansas St. and a few others have all offered Myah at some point along the way. Memphis was in the other day checking her out. She will do well wherever she goes...

As for jambo schedules, I know Peabody is hosting an all day jambo on Saturday and Dyersburg HS has a jambo Saturday night. I haven't seen a schedule of either but I imagine they'll both be good to see.

Edited by GCPioneer

The Freshman for Linden, her name is Shania Brooks. averaged 30 points in Middle School and is super quick and has a nice jump shot. She will help us out a ton this year at the guard play.

You guys have an impressive squad and coach! You should make plenty of noise in Single A this year out of middle TN. Good luck!

Tks for the information GC and you provided what I needed especially the part about the Jamboree. I that the D'burg Jamboree is normally the second Saturday in the month of November.  I hope there is a great list of team adn I want to see what kind of schedule we have this year and where the district and Regional tournaments are being played.  I did not see where you reported anything on Obion or Union City lady teams this year, how do they look?  It might be that neither of those teams were representattve at Westview a contributing factor as to why there is no report.

You are a wealth of basketball knowledge GC

Tks for the information GC and you provided what I needed especially the part about the Jamboree. I that the D'burg Jamboree is normally the second Saturday in the month of November. I hope there is a great list of team adn I want to see what kind of schedule we have this year and where the district and Regional tournaments are being played. I did not see where you reported anything on Obion or Union City lady teams this year, how do they look? It might be that neither of those teams were representattve at Westview a contributing factor as to why there is no report.

You are a wealth of basketball knowledge GC

Obion wasn't there, but I probably should have included Union City in that write up. I expect Union City to compete this year still. Raven Fair is the only returning starter for them. Raven could certainly make a case for Single Miss Basketball herself. She was seen at the state tournament last year and is an outstanding talent. I see Union City finishing third in 14A this year.

You guys have an impressive squad and coach! You should make plenty of noise in Single A this year out of middle TN. Good luck!

I hope so. These girls have done a great job over the summer and have continued to improve. They went (11-11) last year but lost a lot of games by single digits. This team is by far the best that we have had in ten years at least. Should be a great year and i appreciate the kind words and hope that Dyer has a great season in District 14A! 

Yes, I heard that Myah committed to UT on yesterday that is a great program close to home and great coaches.  I hope that Kevin is there for a few more years because I can see him talking over a bigger program.  I think he would make a great coach at University of Memphis women or an assistant on Holly staff..... he is a coach.  It is amazing what he has done with UTM. 

GC Pioneer went to the game last night season opener at DHS the opponent was a team I have never heard of .... "Memphis Metro".  This was more of a scrimmage as the "Lady Trojans" could have bust the clock if Coach Coffman had not been wanting to see his younger players in action.  Two of those players that I noticed was one young lady name Essence and the one you mentioned Samaria, I cannot believe she is a freshman I did not see where she was playing nervous and played aggressive and hard through out.  Myah was not challenged and seem to be working on her three point shot.  I did notice several  new faces and with the new scoreboard that shows each players picture makes the days of having programs obsolete.  They have add some new things to the facility very nice great place for tournaments.... I am speaking "Big Tournaments" Dyersburg.... similar to the one held here several years ago featuring teams from around the nation.  What happen on that ?