Division II-A

Baseballfan67

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D2A playoffs start every year with only a small handful of teams that can actually win the State Championship. Only 4 teams have been in the title game in past 5 years ( USJ, SG, Webb, and ECS) .   To beat the largest school Webb,  you have to have several "breaks" along the way.   I think USJ is the only division team to beat them in past 5 years.   That year USJ lost to SG in the title game because SG made proper adjustments.    Thats what they do best.  Look for SG to baffle a team or two along the way because their staff preps and prepares and adjusts better than any I have seen in a while.

ECS runs a lot of formations and sets and seems to shoot themselves in the foot to lose a big game.  However this year they seem to be able to simply run more plays than other teams and are prolific in scoring.  They have no star but they have a great balance and very skilled defense. 

Webb not as good this year as past years but still do what they do with a good crop of talented players.  Are as vulnerable to an upset this year as ever before.  However, losing to Baylor and other large schools seems to prepare them for spotlight battles. 

USJ finally has everyone healthy except lineman Reid and are ready to start the playoffs with all the players in place.  They have had multiple 2 year starters miss key games earlier this year and the system didn't click.  All are back and ready to score.

BGA played Webb a very close game only to lose in final minute of regulation.  However they scored 28 points on Webb so they figured something out and learned how to score.  Scoring a lot of points is the key to dethroning Webb because they are going to score their 4 TD's on you every single game.  BGA scores an average of 35 and given up 18 per game over the last 5 games of the season.  That's why I do not think FC or DCA can get it done because they only scored 14 and 3 respectively against Webb in the regular season

If your offensive system isn't capable of producing at least 29 points then don't expect to beat Webb.  They will score 4 tds every game in this division and they don't throw so there is no pick 6's to hope for.  Good luck to all the teams, and I hope that you have fun, hope that you sing while staring at the flag before the game.  Remember to cheer loudly for your team, leave the refs alone, and tell every player and cheerleader, not just your own, that you are proud of their effort.  Those few words to those kids will be never be forgotten by them. 

D2A playoffs start every year with only a small handful of teams that can actually win the State Championship. Only 4 teams have been in the title game in past 5 years ( USJ, SG, Webb, and ECS) .   To beat the largest school Webb,  you have to have several "breaks" along the way.   I think USJ is the only division team to beat them in past 5 years.   That year USJ lost to SG in the title game because SG made proper adjustments.    Thats what they do best.  Look for SG to baffle a team or two along the way because their staff preps and prepares and adjusts better than any I have seen in a while.

ECS runs a lot of formations and sets and seems to shoot themselves in the foot to lose a big game.  However this year they seem to be able to simply run more plays than other teams and are prolific in scoring.  They have no star but they have a great balance and very skilled defense. 

Webb not as good this year as past years but still do what they do with a good crop of talented players.  Are as vulnerable to an upset this year as ever before.  However, losing to Baylor and other large schools seems to prepare them for spotlight battles. 

USJ finally has everyone healthy except lineman Reid and are ready to start the playoffs with all the players in place.  They have had multiple 2 year starters miss key games earlier this year and the system didn't click.  All are back and ready to score.

BGA played Webb a very close game only to lose in final minute of regulation.  However they scored 28 points on Webb so they figured something out and learned how to score.  Scoring a lot of points is the key to dethroning Webb because they are going to score their 4 TD's on you every single game.  BGA scores an average of 35 and given up 18 per game over the last 5 games of the season.  That's why I do not think FC or DCA can get it done because they only scored 14 and 3 respectively against Webb in the regular season

If your offensive system isn't capable of producing at least 29 points then don't expect to beat Webb.  They will score 4 tds every game in this division and they don't throw so there is no pick 6's to hope for.  Good luck to all the teams, and I hope that you have fun, hope that you sing while staring at the flag before the game.  Remember to cheer loudly for your team, leave the refs alone, and tell every player and cheerleader, not just your own, that you are proud of their effort.  Those few words to those kids will be never be forgotten by them. 

To correct, FCS not only 'played' in the title game in the last 5 years but won it in 2011 and 2012.  Most in AA would say that bracket is a little harder than this one.  Just start that argument with any fan base from Adamsville, Trousdale, or Huntingdon.

Also, one of your 'power houses' USJ, just got bounced by a Middle TN team with a losing record (DA).  You could be right but I wouldn't count out the Middle TN squads that just swept West TN in the first round.

Spartans will roll DA this Friday. The next week is when the real football starts. Webb will be hosting ECS and then most likely get BGA in the State Championship if they can get past ECS which is never an easy task. Webb and BGA have some bad blood and that championship game would be very heated. Gonna be exciting.

I love the zealotry but don't be so sure Vols12345678. DA have played the role of "spoiler" all too well. If Webb underestimates them it will be to their detriment. And how many times have you seen where a team loses because they were looking at "the game next week".

Just hope we play well, injury free and get the chance to advance in the playoffs!!

Davidson has played well in all of their losses up through the 3rd Q.  They were leading BGA at half and only down a field goal after 3rd Q.  They were down 4 at half to FRA.  Leading Friendship at half by 7 and lose by 7.   Down only 1 point at half to Columbia Academy and Nashville Christian and lose both of those.    They play hard but just can't play well enough an entire game it seems.   They can score points but give up way too many.

Go Bears!!

I love the zealotry but don't be so sure Vols12345678. DA have played the role of "spoiler" all too well. If Webb underestimates them it will be to their detriment. And how many times have you seen where a team loses because they were looking at "the game next week".

Just hope we play well, injury free and get the chance to advance in the playoffs!!

I cant remember the last time Webb has over looked a team in the playoffs. They lost to USJ a couple years back but that was because USJ's pass game was just too much to handle that year for our linebackers and Defensive Backs. The Webb coaching staff is too good for Webb to overlook an opponent. 

Going to be a cold night at Faust Field. 2 TD game at halftime at least and then Webb will cruise to a win.