Dobyns-Bennett at Science Hill... Part 2

To beat Science Hill this year, what we had to do is contain McGue. You will not stop him. Make him uncomfortable somehow. In our case, learn how to play defense which is something to be desired for both teams. Also, contain Justin Bedard too. Let Science Hill beat us throwing. I am sure Malik can throw, just he make plays with his running ability too. We can't turn the ball over and like every year, fundamentals is the key. In all likelihood, none of this will happen if we pull a stunt like 4 down and 12 and go for it with an opportunity to kick a field goal in a key situation. Regardless if they had a great guy off the edge to block the kick, have faith in your special teams. Landon Salyers has been great all year, plus making the necessary steps to kick a field goal like the snap and etc. Not really confident at all about next week. It is possible we can win, but I don't know. You know how we do things in November. I know our kids are trying, but I don't know how to explain all this anymore.

Edited by tennesseestud2013

To beat Science Hill this year, what we had to do is contain McGue. You will not stop him. Make him uncomfortable somehow. In our case, learn how to play defense which is something to be desired for both teams. Also, contain Justin Bedard too. Let Science Hill beat us throwing. I am sure Malik can throw, just he make plays with his running ability too. We can't turn the ball over and like every year, fundamentals is the key. In all likelihood, none of this will happen if we pull a stunt like 4 down and 12 and go for it with an opportunity to kick a field goal in a key situation. Regardless if they had a great guy off the edge to block the kick, have faith in your special teams. Landon Salyers has been great all year, plus making the necessary steps to kick a field goal like the snap and etc. Not really confident at all about next week. It is possible we can win, but I don't know. You know how we do things in November. I know our kids are trying, but I don't know how to explain all this anymore.

Looks like you're feeling about the same way I do.  I'm grateful for the win last night but there was a lot of luck involved and some really dumb coaching moves - the most ridiculous one is probably the one you mention.  The fans that were even paying attention were almost certainly shouting "what the heck?" going into the play.  That game could have easily gone the other way and that's what makes it feel like a loss.  It was nothing like a convincing win which is what you need to see in playoff game 1.

I got it wrong (sort of) in the old thread and glad of it.  But it was just another typical playoff dumb move scenario.  I'm sure most thought it was over in the 1st half and I was certainly surprised at how the game started.  I am not surprised that the came back.  This teams seems to be better at that than some of the previous teams.  That may have been the only thing that allowed them to win.  I still think that if they had gone up by 21 early, they would have lost. 

I was watching the defensive coordinator in the 1st half.  He looked to me like he was loosing his cool.  Not something that needs to happen.  How can you coach these young men unless you are calm, collected, and confident.  He was not and his air betrayed the defense.  Granted this is a remote observation but that is what appeared to be happening.  You could read it in the D's demeanor. 

I actually think DB has a better chance of beating the Hill this time.  First, it is indeed hard to beat a team twice in a year if you are even remotely matched up to them.  Secondly, DB has nothing to loose this time really.  I think that will relieve a little of the psychological disadvantage and allow them to be more equipped to go all out, if the coach will let them.  Third, SH thinks they will win this.  They may be looking down the road to Maryville.  DB definitely will not be.  And 4th, we are not officially past the 1 and out situation.

Nothing will surprise me on this one though.

I agree DBGRAD 70. It would not surprised me if we will, but dang.... we gotta play defense. I know these kids are trying, but I think our Defense Coordinator does not relate to these kids. Our defense looks confused and puzzled. Our offense is good, but they have to be perfect. I will admit I was wrong last year about the change of the offense last year. Geez, Jesse McMillan needs to simplify things. He is our Defensive Coordinator and has the job for a reason, but dang. This defense would get embarrassed against Maryville, Blackman, Oakland, or Memphis Whitehaven. I am afraid to see what will happen if we play Maryville. I have heard from sources that a former NFL player that played for DB said they are thinking too much on defense instead of reacting to the play.

Looks like you're feeling about the same way I do. I'm grateful for the win last night but there was a lot of luck involved and some really dumb coaching moves - the most ridiculous one is probably the one you mention. The fans that were even paying attention were almost certainly shouting "what the heck?" going into the play. That game could have easily gone the other way and that's what makes it feel like a loss. It was nothing like a convincing win which is what you need to see in playoff game 1.

I got it wrong (sort of) in the old thread and glad of it. But it was just another typical playoff dumb move scenario. I'm sure most thought it was over in the 1st half and I was certainly surprised at how the game started. I am not surprised that the came back. This teams seems to be better at that than some of the previous teams. That may have been the only thing that allowed them to win. I still think that if they had gone up by 21 early, they would have lost.

I was watching the defensive coordinator in the 1st half. He looked to me like he was loosing his cool. Not something that needs to happen. How can you coach these young men unless you are calm, collected, and confident. He was not and his air betrayed the defense. Granted this is a remote observation but that is what appeared to be happening. You could read it in the D's demeanor.

I actually think DB has a better chance of beating the Hill this time. First, it is indeed hard to beat a team twice in a year if you are even remotely matched up to them. Secondly, DB has nothing to loose this time really. I think that will relieve a little of the psychological disadvantage and allow them to be more equipped to go all out, if the coach will let them. Third, SH thinks they will win this. They may be looking down the road to Maryville. DB definitely will not be. And 4th, we are not officially past the 1 and out situation.

Nothing will surprise me on this one though.

If our defense had about 11 Josh Holts,nobody would be complaining.No player is perfect but he is about as prepared for each opponent as you can be.One let down here and there will get you beat and with a very young bunch,that's going to happen.A lot of 10th graders play and in time,this should become a tough group.Last night a db came up with the play that put East away.Next year we will young at several positions,and it all starts over.How many people really thought we would be where we are at this point after the very close Farragut game ? If you had told me this bunch would be headed to SH in the second round after playing them to the end in the regular season.I would have said," I'll take that"

Edited by BatmanDB

I still think we have enough defensive talent to be better than this. I am not the only that thinks this about the D. The D has underachieved all year. Overall, this team has improved since Farragut. I agree no one is perfect, but still our defense is worlds away from what we should be. All on Coach McMillan.. I have had former players I went to school and played with tell me our defense is not good.

If our defense had about 11 Josh Holts,nobody would be complaining.No player is perfect but he is about as prepared for each opponent as you can be.One let down here and there will get you beat and with a very young bunch,that's going to happen.A lot of 10th graders play and in time,this should become a tough group.Last night a db came up with the play that put East away.Next year we will young at several positions,and it all starts over.How many people really thought we would be where we are at this point after the very close Farragut game ? If you had told me this bunch would be headed to SH in the second round after playing them to the end in the regular season.I would have said," I'll take that"

Edited by tennesseestud2013

I'm not saying our defense couldn't be better.Last night our defense played a huge role in getting us going with the return as well as the game ender to bail out the offense.I didn't hear a lot of what coach said,but I'm sure he probably thought we went away from the run to early with those roll outs.However,the two touchdowns were huge at the half,so we could pound the ball more  to start the second half after a defensive stop.

The weather is supposed to be worse than the last matchup. Turnovers hurt DB and I think their D was gassed in the fourth.

Can they stay fresh and eliminate the turnover?

SH defense is disappointing. They gave up too many big plays last night and a week earlier. Can SH eliminate or minimize the big play on defense? Can the DB O exploit the SH D and score more? DB's D must get some stops. No one has really stopped SH all year. THS did the best by milking the play clock. I am surprised no one else has tried this strategy.

I think the weather should favor DB but we will see.

Turnovers, key penalties, and 3rd down conversions. Who wins this should win the game...much like most games.

They are evenly matched. I feel neither team is looking past this game.

Edited by DayTripper

You a Topper fan and if you are.. what has been Science Hill's defensive problems. I think their offense is so explosive, their defense stays winded.

The weather is supposed to be worse than the last matchup. Turnovers hurt DB and I think their D was gassed in the fourth.

Can they stay fresh and eliminate the turnover?

SH defense is disappointing. They gave up too many big plays last night and a week earlier. Can SH eliminate or minimize the big play on defense? Can the DB O exploit the SH D and score more? DB's D must get some stops. No one has really stopped SH all year. THS did the best by milking the play clock. I am surprised no one else has tried this strategy.

I think the weather should favor DB but we will see.

Turnovers, key penalties, and 3rd down conversions. Who wins this should win the game...much like most games.

They are evenly matched. I feel neither team is looking past this game.

Exactly !

If our defense had about 11 Josh Holts,nobody would be complaining.No player is perfect but he is about as prepared for each opponent as you can be.One let down here and there will get you beat and with a very young bunch,that's going to happen.A lot of 10th graders play and in time,this should become a tough group.Last night a db came up with the play that put East away.Next year we will young at several positions,and it all starts over.How many people really thought we would be where we are at this point after the very close Farragut game ? If you had told me this bunch would be headed to SH in the second round after playing them to the end in the regular season.I would have said," I'll take that"