Dobyns-Bennett at Science Hill... Part 2

I think the most disappointing thing about the evening was the home crowd. I walked in at 6.30p and the stands were practically enpty. A coach told me there was no pep rally...the kids at school didn't know who SHHS was playing. If it hadn't been for senior night it is scary to think the crowd could have been worse. It is like the lack of enthusiasm in the stands was reflected to the field. Of the people there probably 75% were parents of the players and band. Pretty pathetic.

Agree!   Just think no band this week which means the band parents won't be there and more importantly no band to create a game night atmosphere.

The thing that bothers me as well is SH has over 2,000 students and the student section even when it is early in the season never seems to be over a couple hundred kids.   I know a school that size is more like a commuter community college and most kids just go to school and never get to know their classmates or participate in outside school activities but the student section on Friday had maybe 70 kids.   Seems the same during basketball season as well.

I moved my family here from another state and did not attend HS here but it has always struck me the lack of community support SH gets in terms of fan base for games.  I started bringing my kids to football, basketball and baseball games at SH when they were 4 years old and now one has graduated, another is a junior and another in grade school and over the years it has been the same, come late in the season when the games mean something the fans disappear.  SH has spent a great deal of money on great facilities and to see a mostly empty football stadium and basketball gyms is sad to see.

I digress...we have a football game to play Friday and it still will happen even if the stands are empty. The kids will give it all they have and leave their love of the game on the field and that goes for SH and DB.  Maybe they will livestream it and at least some of the fans can sit in front of a fire and watch the game.

Go Toppers!

Your correct here ! If i was a coach at science hill i would somehow hold some type of community events to get more crowd Support! DB has had the fan support a long time now , but alot are fed up with the bullcrap "i know several 30+ year fans that now dont go " and another thing is the fan support when DB is down during a game just sucks - oh but when we mount a comeback or try too , they start yelling again !! To me when a team is down the team sometimes needs the boost from the crowd before the comeback even starts ..like last friday when db had m.east back-up to the goal line right where the db band is , finally after two plays the band started playing getting the fans involved and thats when i finally noticed the m.east qb having a hard time with plays !!

Agree! Just think no band this week which means the band parents won't be there and more importantly no band to create a game night atmosphere.

The thing that bothers me as well is SH has over 2,000 students and the student section even when it is early in the season never seems to be over a couple hundred kids. I know a school that size is more like a commuter community college and most kids just go to school and never get to know their classmates or participate in outside school activities but the student section on Friday had maybe 70 kids. Seems the same during basketball season as well.

I moved my family here from another state and did not attend HS here but it has always struck me the lack of community support SH gets in terms of fan base for games. I started bringing my kids to football, basketball and baseball games at SH when they were 4 years old and now one has graduated, another is a junior and another in grade school and over the years it has been the same, come late in the season when the games mean something the fans disappear. SH has spent a great deal of money on great facilities and to see a mostly empty football stadium and basketball gyms is sad to see.

I digress...we have a football game to play Friday and it still will happen even if the stands are empty. The kids will give it all they have and leave their love of the game on the field and that goes for SH and DB. Maybe they will livestream it and at least some of the fans can sit in front of a fire and watch the game.

Go Toppers!

Your correct here ! If i was a coach at science hill i would somehow hold some type of community events to get more crowd Support! DB has had the fan support a long time now , but alot are fed up with the bullcrap "i know several 30+ year fans that now dont go " and another thing is the fan support when DB is down during a game just sucks - oh but when we mount a comeback or try too , they start yelling again !! To me when a team is down the team sometimes needs the boost from the crowd before the comeback even starts ..like last friday when db had m.east back-up to the goal line right where the db band is , finally after two plays the band started playing getting the fans involved and thats when i finally noticed the m.east qb having a hard time with plays !!

I did notice the jumbotron calling for noise ! noise ! noise !.Problem was we had the ball ! ball ! ball !

Agree! Just think no band this week which means the band parents won't be there and more importantly no band to create a game night atmosphere.

The thing that bothers me as well is SH has over 2,000 students and the student section even when it is early in the season never seems to be over a couple hundred kids. I know a school that size is more like a commuter community college and most kids just go to school and never get to know their classmates or participate in outside school activities but the student section on Friday had maybe 70 kids. Seems the same during basketball season as well.

I moved my family here from another state and did not attend HS here but it has always struck me the lack of community support SH gets in terms of fan base for games. I started bringing my kids to football, basketball and baseball games at SH when they were 4 years old and now one has graduated, another is a junior and another in grade school and over the years it has been the same, come late in the season when the games mean something the fans disappear. SH has spent a great deal of money on great facilities and to see a mostly empty football stadium and basketball gyms is sad to see.

I digress...we have a football game to play Friday and it still will happen even if the stands are empty. The kids will give it all they have and leave their love of the game on the field and that goes for SH and DB. Maybe they will livestream it and at least some of the fans can sit in front of a fire and watch the game.

Go Toppers!

The band will be there but not march.

That is wrong. The people need to come out and support them. I hope we have a good crowd for both sides. These kids deserve for both teams.

Low turnout doesn't only affect SH and DB in the playoffs. I made the trip to Maryville each time SH faced them in the playoffs to witness the inevitable season finale. Even Maryville's home stands for those games were at about 65% capacity. A Maryville poster even commented on low attendance during regular season games, and this is a school who has won a ton of state titles.

I think part of the problem is that most of the early round games are very predictable (at least on paper, and that certainly doesn't apply to this game). Also, ticket prices are increased; a family may be looking at $75-$100 for tickets and concessions for a single game. Lastly, SH (and DB for that matter) isn't seen as a serious title contender, so emphasis is placed on the local games and conference championships by some of the spectators.

This will be the last home game, barring a miracle by the fightin' Dolly Partons (and if SH beats DB for the second time in 3 weeks, not an easy task), so I hope the fans come out and support them, because they have had a tremendous season. Coach Carter certainly didn't hide his feeling in the JC press article today. If it weren't for the 600 miles between me and JC, I'd be there. Bill Meade's play by play will have to do.

Edited by voltnh