Tri-County Seven Week #1

coachh17

All of our schools are now out of the football playoffs so I will dust off the rust and get things started for a new season.  I have not seen any camp or scrimmage action yet and HOF games have already begun.  I know very little about some of the teams, so feel free to give some scouting reports.

1. Elizabethton- (AA) (0-0)- Coach Len Dugger's defending state AA champions return 9 of their top ten players from last year and have a legitimate shot to repeat.  They will have a target on their back every game and will get everyone's best effort.  Junior 5'10" twins Kayla and Kelci Marosites return on the wings and will give opponents fits in all phases of the game.  Senior 6'2" post Megan Pietrowski and senior 5'11" post Sarah Robinson give the lady Cyclones a formidable scoring, rebounding, and shot blocking presence in the paint.  5'8" junior guard Emily Kiser is a scoring machine and will see lots of time on the wings and possibly some at point guard.  Point guard Sarah Bradley graduated and could be replaced by 5'8" junior Melenda Perry or 5'8" sophomore Haley Burleson.  6'3" junior Emily Schubert and 5'10" senior Kyra McCrary provide outstanding defense and depth in the post. That gives the Lady Cyclones nine tremendous players with two years of state tournament experience.  If they stay healthy and happy, the sky is the limit for this team. 

2. Unicoi Co.- (AA) (0-0)- Coach Kerri King's Lady Devils return a solid nucleus and could have a very good season.  If all goes well, a sub-state appearance could be possible.  Hannah Rice and Haley Webb give them a solid pair of guards.  Destinie Hayes is a great rebounder inside and a healthy Chelsey Harness has a good all around game.

3. Happy Valley- (AA) (1-1)-  Coach Larry Abel should have a contender on Warrior Hill this year.  5'10" junior post Kalee Johnson is a force inside.  Senior guards Jenna Eaton and Annie Woods are solid and battle tested.  Sophomore guard Beth Reece is talented and could be a scoring boost.  Emily Whitaker has a good all around game and the Lady Warriors have some quality depth.

4. Cloudland- (A) (0-0)-  The Lady Landers are tradition rich, but I do not know much about them.  Cloudland fans tell us about your team.

5. Hampton- (A) (0-0)-  The Lady Dogs had a season of change last year.  How will they bounce back?  Please tell us Bulldog fans.

6. Unaka- (A) (0-0)-  The Lady Rangers have been a little down the past few seasons.  I believe Brandi Ensor graduated, so what does Unaka have this year?

7. Johnson County- (AA) (0-0)-  Brooke Brown graduated.  Coach Whittemore has some good young players.  It will be fun to see this team develop.  They may climb up the list.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have very little experience coming back. Lady Landers graduated 7 seniors. We are now in the vicious small school cycle of rebuilding. K. Mull, F. Russell, and P. Johnson are the only returning players with a lot of varsity experience. They are talented enough to still challenge for the district but it may take awhile for this team to gel

Overall, the Lady Cyclones looked pretty good for early season. They are still a little rough around the edges which is to be expected since three of their primary players joined practice late due to participation in fall sports. Nine players played a lot. They had a good mix of outside and inside offense. They played strictly half-court man to man defense. The score would have likely been worse if they had pressed. I don't know the individual stats, but I think the Marosites probably both scored double digits with balanced scoring from the other 7 that played, i.e. 4-8 points apiece. The subs played the last 3 minutes.

There will likely be some up and down moments with this team this year, but on the nights they have it going, they will be fun to watch. When they shoot it well, they will be hard to beat!