Region 1

humorwrestling

the last few times I have seen him wrestle his shoulder has caused injury time, guessing something in there that needs scoping. Now on to the regionals... Please when you run a tournament like this that could sincerely be completed in 4-5 hours easily do not stretch it to nearly 10hours...

looked like he's caught the injury bug. Didn't look like himself at all in the semis and consi semis. I hope he's okay for state. Really tough kid.

wrestling observed - Dewey Pendley and Hunter Bagley (yeah I know but its true...) were the two kids who stood out, Hurley looked crisp and will do great again at state and Begley didnt have much competition. English is a better fit at 182 for a run at state where he should place. Trent Nelson was also outstanding on par with Pendley in the wow factor. Latham was game at 195 and has outstanding character in his finals defeat, and yes its worth noting in today's age...

Last thing then I bounce to church...  I think sincerely Region 1 is improved significantly and I think five teams have kids that should place at state...  That is a significant improvement, the youth programs in the area are the key as all of theses kids have had youth experience and growth and the few that didn't benefit from tougher kids that did.  Not claiming to be something the region is not but I think 8 kids with decent brackets have a true shot at placing from this region.  My hope is for all of them regardless of team having seen these young men mature since kids in youth tournaments all over Tennessee.  I hope they go out and surprise and exceed my educated guess...

wrestling observed - Dewey Pendley and Hunter Bagley (yeah I know but its true...) were the two kids who stood out, Hurley looked crisp and will do great again at state and Begley didnt have much competition. English is a better fit at 182 for a run at state where he should place. Trent Nelson was also outstanding on par with Pendley in the wow factor. Latham was game at 195 and has outstanding character in his finals defeat, and yes its worth noting in today's age...

Agree on all points regarding wrestling observed. Should be several state medals coming back to this region...

On the point of character in the face of a defeat... I agree 1000% it does deserve pointing out when young men loose and do so with dignity. How one reacts to a crushing defeat after working towards and failing to reach a goal- tells you allot about who they are. It is hard, so hard, to do so.

Respect to Lathem and every other wrestler that feel short of their goals and did so with dignity and composure.

With many examples of kids throwing headgear, throwing tantrums and loosing their "bearing" following a loss it's good to point out those who keep it together.

Just a few things on my mind since the regional tournament and even region duals I would like to point out. First, Palmer is a fine wrestler. So if he doesn't "impress" you with wrestling "nobody" then you are greatly mistaken. This is the same kid that pinned Broyles in December, the same kid who beat 3 state placers to win the Indian Classic, who gives everything he has for his team and who has helped change the culture of DB wrestling and tech Spangler in the finals who beat Rolsten in January 6-0. It is really laughable. I do think DB will be hurting without him and Dean and Davis (pinned his way through regionals) along with Ruth, and Payton. Tennessee High is the team to beat next year with everyone of their studs returning. It also took a whole season for someone to realize that Tenn High and DB were not flukes. That's surprising when first both teams have proved it all year. The tides have changed guys. Change is good. It's not the crappy region anymore that everyone wants to wrestle. People are scared now and for that to happen, teams like Science Hill have to take a back seat every once in a while. I have no doubt they will bounce back. I just don't see teams anymore being terrified of the name and the matches with everyone will be competitive. Is that not what we want? For teams and young people succeed and go after their dreams? It makes me mad that people can come on here and say whatever they want with their biased opinions and not just get real with the idea that your team isn't the best, or your wreslter made a dumb mistake. It happens. These are teenagers and they read what you put. Talking about guys losing with class, I want to point out someone and hopefully it doesn't bring up bad blood, but Hunter Bagley. He got pinned by foster after taking foster from DB to his back and what did he do? Got up, shook hands, and walked to the DB bench, shook the coaches hands. That was well done and I want to congratulate you. You were taught well by your parents and mentors. I hope that region 1 proves themselves not for a region but as a community. I'm tired of everyone bashing each other when this sport is supposed to be used to teach life lessons for kids from every background imaginable. As my speech comes to an end I want to say congrats to DB for winning the triple crown and making noise as this year they had a lot of first. Coach Buzzy Mann has done a great job their through all the turmoil I have seen from members on this thread for years. He has saved more lives than you will ever know and coaches not to win, but affect lives of others. Not just him but other coaches have been thrown under the bus that read stuff you put on here. Think about that next time before you post. Good luck to everyone at state and bring home double dight medal count.

Since it was not done at the tournament.. Any thoughts on best match and OW for lower and upper weights?

Best match: Hux vs. Yother (simply because it was the closest finals match and came down to the final seconds)

OW- lower weights: Pendley ( He looked solid and stroked a two time Colorado state placer)

OW- upper weights: Townsend ( He took control of the match from the beginning and never gave Ruth a chance at winning)

Since it was not done at the tournament.. Any thoughts on best match and OW for lower and upper weights?

Best match: Hux vs. Yother (simply because it was the closest finals match and came down to the final seconds)

OW- lower weights: Pendley ( He looked solid and stroked a two time Colorado state placer)

OW- upper weights: Townsend ( He took control of the match from the beginning and never gave Ruth a chance at winning)