District 4-AA vs District 3-AA

uptempo

Wright is up there, but to the thought that NO ONE on this side of the state is better than him is just foolish.

He is good at coaching toughness, discipline and denying m2m defense. However he has the athletes to play that way. Would be interesting to see what he would do if year in year out his team didn't have the best athletes every time he steps on the floor in East Tenn.

Top guys at X and O's in the area are Blevins, Ricky Norris and Shane Wells.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is good at coaching toughness, discipline and denying m2m defense. However he has the athletes to play that way. Would be interesting to see what he would do if year in year out his team didn't have the best athletes every time he steps on the floor in East Tenn.

Top guys at X and O's in the area are Blevins, Ricky Norris and Shane Wells.

I know yall think fulton gets the best athletes year in and out but we rarely have a player over 6"5... Kelvin was our tallest player the last 3 years and he was a wing... we won state championships with 6"4 and 6"3 post the 1st year and the second year our starting post players were 6"3 and 6"0 and Reggie came off the bench at 6"5... We do get some athletes but we do not get anymore athletes than bearden... In basketball.

One last comment about E Tn coaches. Jody Wright is one of the best. To imply he recruits and can't win with players walking the halls is misguided. Green is good. Moore is good ask green Moore has beaten him on more than one ocassion with less talent. Blevins is good. Sure I am missing some. But let's move on to to topic of this thread.

Carter 20 pts better. New coach came in to the perfect storm. Bull took his lumps for two years playing frosh and sophs. Last year they came into their own. New energy plus great talent made the successful. Same story this year. Best two players in E Tn other three starters better than average. Do they have the depth to maintain that pace. Weak schedule will help to develop depth. One injury could be devastating Combine that with Alcoa Fulton AE all being down. They will not be challenged.

Rest of region is a toss up for second. AE Alcoa Cak catholic and Fulton will battle for second.

If Catholic can put the egos aside and develop some team chemistry they could be dangerous.  Too many players (and probably parents) worrying about their stats and forgetting about the defensive end.

The top coaches in no specific order in the Knoxville area:

Shane Wells

Aaron Green

Mark Blevins

Jody Wright

Mark Eldridge

Ricky Norris

I would have to put Mike Hutchens on that list.  Over the last 12 years only Blevins and Wright have won more games then Coach Hutchens (he's won 248 since the 2002-03 season) and he's been to 3 state tournaments in that span too.  He's also closing in on 500 wins, that's pretty consistent.

Edited by QSouth89

Made sub state (and lost by 2) with no players over 6'2 and starting two freshman; one player in the history of the school (Oteriah) has gone on to play college.

The Campbell brothers? The only yr Nick started was his senior year. Outside of Wells, all the other coaches have had multiple college players and at least one D1 player.

Don't think he is the best on this list (probably Blevins from X and O stand point), but he does not have the most to work with year in and year out.

You forgot Lucas Campbell, who is one of CAKe's best players (yeah, the one that got the game-winning putback against us last year).

No players over 6'2"? You sure? I'm 6'1" myself and several of the Warriors were taller than me by at least an inch or two.

You forgot Lucas Campbell, who is one of CAKe's best players (yeah, the one that got the game-winning putback against us last year).

No players over 6'2"? You sure? I'm 6'1" myself and several of the Warriors were taller than me by at least an inch or two.

Lucas is the tallest player the past two years and he's 6'2... didn't forget Lucas simply saying the Campbell brothers were not some 1,2 punch. Nick started as as senior and wasn't even all-district.

I know yall think fulton gets the best athletes year in and out but we rarely have a player over 6"5... Kelvin was our tallest player the last 3 years and he was a wing... we won state championships with 6"4 and 6"3 post the 1st year and the second year our starting post players were 6"3 and 6"0 and Reggie came off the bench at 6"5... We do get some athletes but we do not get anymore athletes than bearden... In basketball.

athletes doesn't mean they are tall... it's east TN, not that many tall kids playing in the area these days.

Bearden has not been what it once was the past couple of years, they do not have better athletes than Fulton the past couple of years.

I would have to put Mike Hutchens on that list.  Over the last 12 years only Blevins and Wright have won more games then Coach Hutchens (he's won 248 since the 2002-03 season) and he's been to 3 state tournaments in that span too.  He's also closing in on 500 wins, that's pretty consistent.

I can see that argument, however that last state tourney was 10 years ago and he is 39-47 the last three seasons. Never been overly impressed but was not around in early part of the decade, just going on what I've seen over the past few years....They were super young last year though.

This year might be too early (but you never know)but would think Catholic should have a shot at the state tourney the next two years. They have the most talent in the district and it's not really that close.

Lucas is the tallest player the past two years and he's 6'2... didn't forget Lucas simply saying the Campbell brothers were not some 1,2 punch. Nick started as as senior and wasn't even all-district.

Lucas looked much taller than that in person, as did several Warriors. And Nick might as well have been all-district based on what I saw that year.