Pickett County/Goodpasture Christian Game 1/17/2015

ShawnJohnston

My name is Shawn Johnston. I want to make it very clear that what I am writing is free of their view points. I felt the need to offer an unbiased and objective version of the events of the game last night at Goodpasture Christian School because it has created some buzz, accusations, anger, and unfair criticism of what are still  very much children. I have no side or routing interest in the game that took place and want it to be known that I have no affiliation with any players, coaches, family, or either school.  I was sent to watch several games over the last few days in the Greater Nashville area and yesterday was my last night scouting before I drafted my assessments of the players to potentially be posted on our website. I was asked to observe a certain player for the Pickett County Bobcats and as a player, he delivered. Now that is established I will give a snapshot of what actually occurred. The good game I hoped to see never came to fruition. The 1st quarter was somewhat competitive but the outcome was decided by the end of the 2nd quarter. Where things started to go downhill was with the refereeing in the middle of the 2nd quarter and I will use every single contact I have within the high school basketball community in Tennessee to make sure the referees in that game are reprimanded, at the very minimum. There has been a lot of arguing about this kid and that kid. the reality is both sides were very involved and to be held accountable but the accusations of racial slurs are accurate. I sat very near the half court line on the Goodpasture side of the gym and there was a exchange that took place between 2 of the Pickett players and #40 for Goodpasture. They both were using derogatory and racial terms when guarding #40. #40 did react in an aggressive manner. This exchange was noticed by one referee in particular and the only way I can describe his reaction was that he completely ignored it. Both sides should have received a technical and #32 from Pickett should have been immediately ejected but for some unknown reason, nothing happened. It seemed after that particular event, the Pickett players began what I would describe as dirty play against #40. There was a great deal of jersey holding, stepping on feet, elbows being thrown, etc. #40 of Goodpasture played into the action and began taking it back to the Pickett players. This was where a player of his caliber should have just played and not allowed the actions to get inside head. Things continued to build and build as #40 was being extremely aggressive and going very hard into the Pickett players and they only continued their actions in return. Goodpasture had clearly put the game to bed by the mid point of the 3rd quarter and, in my humble opinion, both coaches , or at least Goodpastures coach, should have pulled their players and ended any issues. But they remained on the floor and tensions only boiled over. It was during the start of the 4th quarter that I noticed what I assume were parents behind the Pickett bench, stared pointing in the direction of the concession area often and not long after, many of them started flashing middle fingers at someone or something. This continued for the better part of the remaining minutes of the game (until Picket went on a nice run that at least saved some pride for the players). I made several efforts to notice if anyone on the Goodpasture sideline was engaging their counterparts,and while I cannot say that it didn't happen, I did not witness any such activity on that side of the gym. Everything started really boiling when the referees allowed very sloppy and aggressive play to continue while Pickett was pressing Goodpasture. I am certain that a foul was committed on 75% of the plays and they were going uncalled. Then the boiling point was reached when #40 was fouled by Pickett player and it was called an intentional foul. Based on the play of the Pickett player throughout, he should have been ejected as everyone in the gym saw that there was no play on the ball and he had intent to harm. #40 rolled on the ground for a few moments in pain with what seemed to be a injured hand. Several individuals, including his coach were with him. Then he appeared to, in my opinion, basically decide he had enough. He pounded the floor several times and he got up in an aggressive manner and appeared to make an effort to walk towards the court. I cannot say with certainty what his intentions were but he was yelling; let me finish. His body language was very aggressive and he was substituted and eventually taken to the locker room. He should have also been ejected at the point when he started yelling. The refereeing was some of the worst I have ever seen and I am not beyond asking myself if the one or more of the officials did not share the Pickett players sentiment regarding the racial slurs. Had it not been so horribly officiated on both sides, I would be inclined to say yes. At last check with another coach in the Nashville area, #40 had a severe sprain and possible small break, (I can neither confirm or deny this). Things should have been corralled from the very beginning and they weren't. Based on what I saw and what I directly heard, the Pickett players were targeting #40 and doing any and everything to take him out of the game. None of which were respectable tactics. Why they directly targeted him, I cannot say unless the slurs and terms are a sign of why. #40 gave into the targeting and began dishing it back out. Really good players never become great if they cannot learn how to not do just that. The sad thing is none of it should have been allowed and a large part of it seemed to be encouraged by parents. Not everyone is guilty on either side, but this was a sad circumstance that could have gotten extremely ugly had there not been a law enforcement presence.If I have to chose a greater of two evils it would clearly be a kid being singled out because of his race and derogatory slurs and terms being allowed to slide so the blame for the start of the incident is with Pickett but #40 could have chosen to let it go. Again, I am going to do everything in my power and use every contact I have to ensure the officials of this game are investigated and that someone looks into racism being allowed to be a part of a high school basketball game in the year 2015. My name is Shawn Johnston, I expect uninformed responses and replies, but I only ask that you be adult enough to do so with your name and not a screen name as I have. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Mr Johnston for an unbiased run-down of what happened. Great post. And I agree Intense, no excuse for racism anywhere in our society. All young players should be taught to have good sportsmanship and never take part in anything like saying racial slurs. I know Coach Aaron and he is a great person. He would never condone that kind of behavior. I hope he doesn't get a bad wrap for it. Parents- let's all teach our kids to build others up. Not tear them down. Let's teach our kids and grandkids to be good people on and off the floor. No excuse for any racial comments, trying to purposely hurt other players, or targeting any player for any reason. Hope TSSAA puts stop to this kind of behavior by anyone.

Would have to agree no place for this in anything. I have seen the worst officiated games in at least the last 10 years. To many look at me officials and most don't know the rules at least learn the rules. TSSAA don't care and the supervisor's don't care as long as the check come in. The kids playing deserve more.

Thank you Mr Johnston for an unbiased run-down of what happened. Great post. And I agree Intense, no excuse for racism anywhere in our society. All young players should be taught to have good sportsmanship and never take part in anything like saying racial slurs. I know Coach Aaron and he is a great person. He would never condone that kind of behavior. I hope he doesn't get a bad wrap for it. Parents- let's all teach our kids to build others up. Not tear them down. Let's teach our kids and grandkids to be good people on and off the floor. No excuse for any racial comments, trying to purposely hurt other players, or targeting any player for any reason. Hope TSSAA puts stop to this kind of behavior by anyone.

You would think Pickett would be on their best behavior being on probation from a fight last year Maybe they don't care if something happens after getting most of their punishment overturned last make think they can do anything.

I agree also. The officiating has been bad in a lot of games. It doesn't seem to be in just one area either. Several people are complaining from different places. I've saw a few games that's been almost to the point of being dangerous. Players getting hurt, games being decided by officials not players, officials letting fans get out of control, the list goes on and on. Something needs to be done before a player gets hurt badly or real violence happens at a game in the stands. Come on TSSAA- surely somebody there cares and can come watch and reprimand these actions or lack of actions

Hello again. My intentions reagrading my post were primarily to bring awareness to the horrible officiating that occured during the game. 90% of the blame is at the feet of the officials for not taking control early. I have made a number of calls and asked for several favors as they pertain to the refs of that game, and as I previously mentioned, I will not stop until someone is aware of their lack of action and they are questioned or investigated. I am not choosing a side as far as the game is concerned but reputations do tend to proceed both individuals and groups. So being that my only knowledge of the Pickett County program prior to that night was due to the incident during last season, I was a little shocked at some of the Pickett supporters behavior. I have asked around and it seems as their coach is a class act and even knew the Goodpasture kid that was involved in the incident. So I am in no way thinking it a culture thing regarding the program as much as outside the program influence. I will again support my post, I think the officials are to blame, followed by the initiation of the incident being caused by a couple Pickett players, and ultimately acted on by the Goodpasture kid. It was a series of unfortunate events but I stand by my dedication to ensuring racism not be a part of the games I love. If you remove that, this post wouldnt exist.

Hello again. My intentions reagrading my post were primarily to bring awareness to the horrible officiating that occured during the game. 90% of the blame is at the feet of the officials for not taking control early. I have made a number of calls and asked for several favors as they pertain to the refs of that game, and as I previously mentioned, I will not stop until someone is aware of their lack of action and they are questioned or investigated. I am not choosing a side as far as the game is concerned but reputations do tend to proceed both individuals and groups. So being that my only knowledge of the Pickett County program prior to that night was due to the incident during last season, I was a little shocked at some of the Pickett supporters behavior. I have asked around and it seems as their coach is a class act and even knew the Goodpasture kid that was involved in the incident. So I am in no way thinking it a culture thing regarding the program as much as outside the program influence. I will again support my post, I think the officials are to blame, followed by the initiation of the incident being caused by a couple Pickett players, and ultimately acted on by the Goodpasture kid. It was a series of unfortunate events but I stand by my dedication to ensuring racism not be a part of the games I love. If you remove that, this post wouldnt exist.

Amen Brother!