Referee's take on the Duals

downforthecount

Wrestling is one of the few sports that measures itself (individuals) as it does.  It is the sport with in the sport that many people dont see.

When officiating the duals, you watch the coaches.  Suddenly that flip of the disk at the beginning of the match means something.

Each coach knows what he has to have out of each weight class to win.  If a kid gives up a major rather than a tech fall or a fall that is a huge gain in the matches we watched this weekend.  

You see some kids sent out as sacrificial lambs.  Coach has -6 penciled in, but if that kid can go six minutes it might become a +1.  Or a + 2 if he is only majored.  The unimaginable a +3 with a reversal or escape at the end to keep it less than eight points now the coach has cushion he didnt have before.

I love talking to prospective wrestling parents (middle school moms and dads) about the sport in this context.  Their kid has decided to wrestle.  " What?  Yeah mom I'm going to wrestle," and you can see the fear over the mom's face.  "He's little and couldnt possibly contribute."  

Oh yes he can.  Its one of the few sports when a personal loss can still be a gain for your team.

(stepping off my soapbox) 

Wrestling is one of the few sports that measures itself (individuals) as it does.  It is the sport with in the sport that many people dont see.

When officiating the duals, you watch the coaches.  Suddenly that flip of the disk at the beginning of the match means something.

Each coach knows what he has to have out of each weight class to win.  If a kid gives up a major rather than a tech fall or a fall that is a huge gain in the matches we watched this weekend.  

You see some kids sent out as sacrificial lambs.  Coach has -6 penciled in, but if that kid can go six minutes it might become a +1.  Or a + 2 if he is only majored.  The unimaginable a +3 with a reversal or escape at the end to keep it less than eight points now the coach has cushion he didnt have before.

I love talking to prospective wrestling parents (middle school moms and dads) about the sport in this context.  Their kid has decided to wrestle.  " What?  Yeah mom I'm going to wrestle," and you can see the fear over the mom's face.  "He's little and couldnt possibly contribute."  

Oh yes he can.  Its one of the few sports when a personal loss can still be a gain for your team.

(stepping off my soapbox)

+1. Greatest sport there is. You're a winner as soon as you get in the mat.

Excellent post, I for one appreciate feedback from officials. I agree with your synopsis of those matches. At the 113, contrary to some opionions by others I thought the Baylor kid was wrestling. Yes, he was trying to not get pinned but he was also trying to score. Even at 106 I thought the Baylor kid was wrestling for the most part. The Fr Ryan kid was all over him and the Baylor kid didn't have time to mount any offense. At 126 I didn't think their was stalling enough to be called. I don't remember stalling being called in that match but I may have missed it. I know both teams were trying to win that match. My comments about stalling being called and not called were not in regards to the matches you officiated. I'm not sure who the official was, I thought he was from Nashville. Other than his matches I felt the officiating was very good

How many offensive moves did the baylor kids attempt at 106 and 113?

Didn't matter the size of one's body, it's the heart to win for the team,,,, one less bonus pt, or that surprise upset. Avoid the pin can be huge of course, but the wrestler must always be active to improve positron.

This sort can come down to the size of the Heart over Abilities many times and that's what many folks enjoy...

Can we ever forget...Kyle Maynard or Anthony Robles:

Armless, Legless Wrestler:

NCAA Wrestling National Championships Division 1 Anthony Robles vs. Matt...:

How'd you like to be in their position and not just avoid getting turned, but to attack. Talk about heart and passion

• Upvote 1

The problem that I have with stalling is that it is subjective. One official will ding a kid for stalling two or more times in 30 seconds and another official will not even warn the wrestler for doing the same thing. The major issue with stalling being called in the neutral position is that most everyone instructs wrestlers to be aggressive and take shots to try and secure a takedown. When one wrestler is taking all the shots and scoring on 35+% of his shots (10+) and his opponent fails to take a single takedown shot or score from the neutral position I have a major problem with dinging the kid taking the shots for stalling. For whatever reason some of the Tennessee officials have started dinging the aggressive kid for stalling saying that they are hanging on the leg and not attempting to score from that position. The question that I have is what is wrestler supposed to do if they take a shot, get extended and are trying to keep their opponent from scoring? If an official made this type of call at the NCAA tournament they would feel the heat of 16,000+ knowledgeable wrestling fans. To be blunt the officials at that level make mistakes but they are not out looking for the obscure rule buried in the back of the rulebook and trying to manipulate the rule to show their wrestling knowledge. In the last 35+ years of watching college wrestling I have never seen stalling called due to a wrestler hanging on the leg. Every time the official gave the defensive wrestler a few seconds to counter the shot and then called a stalemate. The 126/lb match that was referenced earlier in the thread apparently had some rather colorful exchanges between the official that made the call and the coach. I was told that the official made a comment that went something like what are you worried about your wrestler won the match. That type of statement is very concerning and if true is inappropriate for an official to make in the heat of a state championship match. As with most things there is a time and place for everything and during the middle of a heated match the least you say the better off you will be. Why not just say "COACH THAT IS WHAT I SAW" and we are moving on.

Edited by cbg