Summer Duals Tournament - June 12-13 - Finalists Singlets!

tmarshall7

Not to rain on anyone's parade but why would kids that have been training for the kids, cadet & junior duals along with the USA Cadet/Junior Nationals in Fargo, ND break their training routine to attend a folkstyle tournament? Would it not make more sense for Tennessee to focus on Freestyle & Greco Roman after March 31 when most all of the national folkstyle tournaments have been completed?

It would make sense to align with the rest of the wrestling community however, FS/GR/FOLK-STYLE competition and interest is limited in this area POST-SEASON

Last year three POST-SEASON FS/GR tournaments cancelled due to lack of intrest... Oh and the ones they did have - the referees were literally KIDS. There is ONE certified FS/GR Referee for the entire state! Last year at the FS/GR State competition the referees were apprentices/kids! So if you want TRUE contests you have to travel... What about the OTHER GUYS- who can't travel- FS/GR enhances skill sets across the board and has value but this tournament has great value as well and is a step in the right direction. The guys training for Fargo don't NEED this tournament... The kids that can't go to Fargo Do.

I applaud anyone who takes the initiative and creates opportunities for competition (not saying you don't).

This should be a great tournament and I hope it becomes a long standing tradition.

LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.

Thank you Tim Marshall.

It would make sense to align with the rest of the wrestling community however, FS/GR/FOLK-STYLE competition and interest is limited in this area POST-SEASON

Last year three POST-SEASON FS/GR tournaments cancelled due to lack of intrest... Oh and the ones they did have - the referees were literally KIDS. There is ONE certified FS/GR Referee for the entire state! Last year at the FS/GR State competition the referees were apprentices/kids! So if you want TRUE contests you have to travel... What about the OTHER GUYS- who can't travel- FS/GR enhances skill sets across the board and has value but this tournament has great value as well and is a step in the right direction. The guys training for Fargo don't NEED this tournament... The kids that can't go to Fargo Do.

I applaud anyone who takes the initiative and creates opportunities for competition (not saying you don't).

This should be a great tournament and I hope it becomes a long standing tradition.

LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.

Thank you Tim Marshall.

Tim, if you want freestyle/greco, I'd suggest to go to:

http://www.teamgeorgiawrestling.com/tournaments

Not sure where you're located, but most Chattanooga area teams participate there. There's a different tournament close to Atlanta (usually a bit north) literally every week. Kids get 7-10 matches each Saturday and because it's in Georgia they get to see different competition. Nothing like wrestling the same 2 or 3 kids over and over again in the TN tournaments.

This is one reason Georgia is worlds ahead of TN in freestyle/greco. Also pay attention to how well they've done at Super 32 and Fargo the last couple of years.

Edited by Newestguy

Not sure where you're located, but most Chattanooga area teams participate there. There's a different tournament close to Atlanta (usually a bit north) literally every week. Kids get 7-10 matches each Saturday and because it's in Georgia they get to see different competition. Nothing like wrestling the same 2 or 3 kids over and over again in the TN tournaments.

This is one reason Georgia is worlds ahead of TN in freestyle/greco. Also pay attention to how well they've done at Super 32 and Fargo the last couple of years.

Thanks for the info but we've made the decision to focus on folkstyle. Also, that previous message that you referenced was not posted by me, the author posted my name at the end as he was thanking me for hosting the summer dual tournament.

I would hope our TN wrestlers fully support our TN tournaments during Freestyle/greco so we can grow as a state. I'm sure it's very convenient for Chattanooga teams to head to Atlanta every weekend and it's pretty convenient for Clarksville to travel up to Evansville, IN for competitions too. I believe a little bit of travel out of state is good but I hope we keep a whole lot of our tournament travels in state.

I want go support TN freestyle/Greco tournaments, but every one I've ever gone to has kids reffing that don't know anything at all about the styles. It is refreshing going to GA for freestyle tournaments because the state has so many FILA certified refs who ref in SE Regionals and/or National Duals. We have to make an effort to educate some of our legitimate referees in the two styles and tournaments have to be willing to pay real referee fees before we can really grow as a state in those styles.

I absolutely love the two styles and wish my kids had more opportunities to compete in them. And I believe it offers a great break in the monotony of the sport while still improving in folkstyle skills. So it's frustrating that we are so far behind in the styles. So much so that, as Tim stated, it's not even really worth focusing on. Might as well just stay focused on folkstyle.

Edited by KingGreene

• 2 weeks later...