13AA Tournament

Voller5

From the TSSAA:

TSSAA Board outlines options to conclude district tournaments
TSSAA
The TSSAA Board of Control held a conference call on Friday, January 20, 2015, to discuss how schools should proceed in order to finish their Division I District Basketball Tournaments. After much discussion, the Board voted to give each individual District the opportunity to see if they could complete their tournament by Saturday, February 21st. If the games cannot be played on Friday or Saturday due to inclement weather, the Board voted to give each District the following options:

Option #1

If the District is down to their Championship and Consolation games, the seeding for the Regional tournament will be as follows:

× The top seeded team in the District Championship game will enter the regional tournament as the #1 seed.

× The lowest seeded team in the District Championship game will enter the regional tournament as the #2 seed.

× The top seeded team in the District Consolation game will enter the regional tournament as the #3 seed.

× The lowest seeded team in the District Consolation game will enter the regional tournament as the #4 seed.

Option #2

TSSAA is not encouraging any Districts to play tournament games on Sunday. This decision is, however, being left to the discretion of the teams remaining in that district.

We are again requesting that administrators and coaches use every precaution, erring on the side of safety for all student-athletes and fans.

Based on what I read from the TSSAA, the tournament can be completed tomorrow. However, it is worth noting that Westview made it pretty clear that they did not like the idea of hosting on a Sunday last week. 

It's been said that Weakley County's superintendent was the one that overruled the school's coaches decision to play last Sunday. WV is guaranteed a number 1 seed in the region tourney if the games don't take place so I'm sure they're in no rush to schedule games for tomorrow.

The TSSAA outlines things pretty clearly, however: "TSSAA is not encouraging any Districts to play tournament games on Sunday. This decision is, however, being left to the discretion of the teams remaining in that district."

Usually isn't the host school ultimately, solely responsible for these type of decisions? Is the TSSAA giving more authority to teams in this instance?

I was just thinking the same thing Forked Deer..........how conveniently  that would work out for Westview.  But since previous post says we're playing tomorrow hopefully it won't come down to that.  Westview is the favorite to win it but it still would be more fair to let the boys decide it on the court for themselves.  I still call bologna and we should have played our games today.  Maybe I'm just being selfish and tired of not getting to play our games.  Ice and snow now flood.....oh my!

I was just thinking the same thing Forked Deer..........how conveniently  that would work out for Westview.  But since previous post says we're playing tomorrow hopefully it won't come down to that.  Westview is the favorite to win it but it still would be more fair to let the boys decide it on the court for themselves.  I still call bologna and we should have played our games today.  Maybe I'm just being selfish and tired of not getting to play our games.  Ice and snow now flood.....oh my!

Martin is the northernmost tourney site in West TN.  I think today could have been manageable, but when you're dealing with the safety of our students.. well you know. 

Although, it may end up being very convenient for WV because to be quite honest, I don't know if we'll get to play tomorrow.  It's already 34 degrees in Martin.  Low tonight there is 27 with a slight chance of snow.  The high temp tomorrow is 32, getting down into the teens tomorrow evening.  Any remaining moisture and new precipitation will likely refreeze/freeze on the roadways by tomorrow especially if it is cloudy as the forecast indicates. Today was just as good, if not a better option than tomorrow. At least it's above freezing today.

I think we all just have cabin fever and we're ready to play ball, but I must admit the decisions regarding this tourney and weather have been pretty silly.

Edited by ForkedDeerTrojan