New College Programs?

deadlift

What can we do to attract new athletic department college wrestling programs into this state? Many states surrounding TN have incorporated many new college programs over the last few years. States like Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky and now Florida have started up college wrestling programs. I know NCAA Div 1 teams would be a long shot but I'm talking about teams at the NAIA, Junior College and NCAA Div II and III levels.

An institution like Bethel University in McKenzie, TN seems like a perfect candidate. Starting a program there would most likely help kickstart HS wrestling in that part of the state (NW TN). It would also give our graduating HS seniors more choices to further their wrestling careers.

The Georgia wrestling community really made a push just a few years back for college wrestling and now they have 3-4 programs. What can we do as Tennesseans to make that happen here?

What can we do to attract new athletic department college wrestling programs into this state? Many states surrounding TN have incorporated many new college programs over the last few years. States like Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky and now Florida have started up college wrestling programs. I know NCAA Div 1 teams would be a long shot but I'm talking about teams at the NAIA, Junior College and NCAA Div II and III levels.

An institution like Bethel University in McKenzie, TN seems like a perfect candidate. Starting a program there would most likely help kickstart HS wrestling in that part of the state (NW TN). It would also give our graduating HS seniors more choices to further their wrestling careers.

The Georgia wrestling community really made a push just a few years back for college wrestling and now they have 3-4 programs. What can we do as Tennesseans to make that happen here?

For starters TN can try to keep the programs they have. Carson Newman dropped a program primarily due to behavior issues from the wrestlers. D-2 program gone. King college program appears to be in trouble, could be the loss of another D-2 program. MTSU and ETSU clubs don't get much support. Be really nice if some of the deep pocket guys who support HS wrestling could pick a small school and get one kicked off. D2 is the way to go in my opinion but the NAIA has some value.

Edited by maj

In simple terms the best way to insure that a program is safe from the axe is to have all scholarships & the coaching salaries endowed. Some of the smarter athletic directors and college wrestling coaches are working hard to move in this direction for all of their sports programs. It's a lot of work but it is a cost saving method for the future.

Edited by cbg

Alabama also got a new program last year- Shorter college Montgomery, AL...

http://goshorterhawks.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

And One of Georgia's programs was also Shorter BAPTIST College- within the last three years... NCAA Div II

Williams Baptist College- Arkansas stood up a new program within the last three years... NAIA.

Couple of themes- Baptist schools starting 3 new programs after close to 20 years of no new programs AND Small/smaller schools. When you have next to nothing anything is good. NCAA DIV I, II or III and/or NAIA would be welcome.

I think title 9 applies to any school.

NAIA can give athletic scholarships were NCAA Div III can't and NCAA Div II is limited.

The University Of Tennessee also has a club team that is poorly supported.

IF the decision to start a team resides with the administration of college "x" I would think that would be the place to start. How much more public intrest would there be in a UT Wrestling Team Verses the UT Tennis or Golf team? I am biased here but I would think more for Wrestling.

Alabama also got a new program last year- Shorter college Montgomery, AL...

http://goshorterhawks.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

And One of Georgia's programs was also Shorter BAPTIST College- within the last three years... NCAA Div II

Williams Baptist College- Arkansas stood up a new program within the last three years... NAIA.

Couple of themes- Baptist schools starting 3 new programs after close to 20 years of no new programs AND Small/smaller schools. When you have next to nothing anything is good. NCAA DIV I, II or III and/or NAIA would be welcome.

I think title 9 applies to any school.

NAIA can give athletic scholarships were NCAA Div III can't and NCAA Div II is limited.

The University Of Tennessee also has a club team that is poorly supported.

IF the decision to start a team resides with the administration of college "x" I would think that would be the place to start. How much more public intrest would there be in a UT Wrestling Team Verses the UT Tennis or Golf team? I am biased here but I would think more for Wrestling.

UT along with the rest of the SEC ( south eastern cowards ) dropped wrestling back in the 80's. I don't look for them to start it again. While not in TN the logical place to start a college program would be GA tech. Already in the ACC which has wrestling, an engineering school with I believe more men than woman students and therefore fewer title 9 issues and in the wrestling hotbed of the south, GA and TN. If they could be persuaded to start a program, it would open a lot of doors for TN kids. Crazy that with all the high school wrestlers in the south, UTC is the only D-1 program in the region ( I know N and S Carolina have some ) nothing in FL,AL,GA, MS,TX and only 1 in TN.

Edited by maj

For starters TN can try to keep the programs they have. Carson Newman dropped a program primarily due to behavior issues from the wrestlers. D-2 program gone. King college program appears to be in trouble, could be the loss of another D-2 program. MTSU and ETSU clubs don't get much support. Be really nice if some of the deep pocket guys who support HS wrestling could pick a small school and get one kicked off. D2 is the way to go in my opinion but the NAIA has some value.

Why do you say King appears to be in trouble? The women's program just won back to back national championships. I would doubt they would drop the mens program and replace with another more expensive sport and only keep the womens program.

When Bucknell reinstated their program they had an affluent former wrestler step forward and pledge enough funds to fully endow all the wrestling scholarships along with the coaching salaries. The university told the former wrestler that for the university to be compliant with title 9 they would be forced to start another women's sport and he would be required to fund the women's sport which he did. Just how many schools have an affluent alum that is willing to endow two sports programs?

Edited by cbg

Why do you say King appears to be in trouble? The women's program just won back to back national championships. I would doubt they would drop the mens program and replace with another more expensive sport and only keep the womens program.

Well, let's see, the womans' coach is also the part time coach for the mens' program. The fact they don't think enough of the program to hire a full time coach is red flag # 1. There are a bunch of other issues going on up there which I'm not going to splash over this board but I do feel the program is at risk. The success of the woman's program will not help the men's if anything it will provide a negative contrast between a successful program and a struggling one.

Well, let's see, the womans' coach is also the part time coach for the mens' program. The fact they don't think enough of the program to hire a full time coach is red flag # 1. There are a bunch of other issues going on up there which I'm not going to splash over this board but I do feel the program is at risk. The success of the woman's program will not help the men's if anything it will provide a negative contrast between a successful program and a struggling one.

The coach has been at each match I have been to, which is all but one. The men's and women's teams practice at different times each day. Yeah I guess that is part time. Got two pretty good men's only assistant coaches with Frankie Morgan being one. The school has pretty deep pockets. Just not sure your assessment is on point. But I am sure all programs are subject to question when moves occur.