Why are the next level coaches so much smarter?

strongx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the OP's original question was "Why are HS coaches so stupid?  Why can't they just let kids play like they did at the lower levels?"

Well... sometimes a kid matures early and is the biggest and fastest kid on the field in 8th grade and just tears it up as a RB, but when he gets to HS he's not even in the top half of the team and they want him on the field, so they try to fit him somewhere else.  Or maybe they need him to fill in somewhere else because that's where he can best help the team right now.

Or maybe the other kids just catch up with him and the stuff that he could do so well against awkward middle schoolers and little leaguers just doesn't fly against 17 and 18 year old young men.  Maybe that 6'1" Tim Duncan with the early growth spurt from the MS team who was 3" taller than everyone else on the court just can't play that same style of basketball against 6'7" post players in HS.  Ever think of that?

Also, position switching happens at all levels.  Have you ever seen the amount of HS QBs who play DB, WR, or even TE/DE at the next level?  How about the linemen who switch sides of the ball or all the RBs who become LBs?  It happens all the time.

When I played in HS, we had a big athletic kid come out to play football his junior year.  Tried him at RB but he was soft as a kitten.  He was very contact shy.  After spring ball and a week of practice, the coaches decided to try him at LB.  He said "Coach, I try to avoid contact!" and whined, but they stuck him there anyway.  After about 5 plays of practice, he made a big hit and was hooked.  He went on to be our conference DPOY that year, was All-State 2x, and got a D1 scholarship.  He was no longer contact shy.

Maybe they're not so stupid.

I guess the OP's original question was "Why are HS coaches so stupid? Why can't they just let kids play like they did at the lower levels?"

Well... sometimes a kid matures early and is the biggest and fastest kid on the field in 8th grade and just tears it up as a RB, but when he gets to HS he's not even in the top half of the team and they want him on the field, so they try to fit him somewhere else. Or maybe they need him to fill in somewhere else because that's where he can best help the team right now.

Or maybe the other kids just catch up with him and the stuff that he could do so well against awkward middle schoolers and little leaguers just doesn't fly against 17 and 18 year old young men. Maybe that 6'1" Tim Duncan with the early growth spurt from the MS team who was 3" taller than everyone else on the court just can't play that same style of basketball against 6'7" post players in HS. Ever think of that?

Also, position switching happens at all levels. Have you ever seen the amount of HS QBs who play DB, WR, or even TE/DE at the next level? How about the linemen who switch sides of the ball or all the RBs who become LBs? It happens all the time.

When I played in HS, we had a big athletic kid come out to play football his junior year. Tried him at RB but he was soft as a kitten. He was very contact shy. After spring ball and a week of practice, the coaches decided to try him at LB. He said "Coach, I try to avoid contact!" and whined, but they stuck him there anyway. After about 5 plays of practice, he made a big hit and was hooked. He went on to be our conference DPOY that year, was All-State 2x, and got a D1 scholarship. He was no longer contact shy.

Maybe they're not so stupid.

Not really calling them stupid-maybe just stubborn. All are great points and I really appreciate your input. I guess the key to it is where you can help the team, not necessarily where you can be the best player. Some teams like to pound the rock, some play small ball, and some run the motion offense-depending on the sport. Not every kid fits into those systems. For example, I was simply referring to the kid who is asked to play Center in the OL because he is one of the smarter and stronger kids on the team. But he is a headhunter at 6' 215 and LB may be a better spot for him. Or the freshman guard who can flat get up and down the court, but the coach likes to play games in the 50's. An old pro from here in town once told me those HS coaches are gonna play you the way that will makes the coaches look good-not necessarily the way that makes the player look good. I guess that's why we keep up with wins and losses-LOL!

I believe the real question is who hires these coaches you speak of to coach HS athletics. If you are asking about the best at each level then the reason why is easy. If all talent is the same and someone does their craft for more time in a day, week, year or career than they will end up better. The guy I worked with developing game plans with 5 years ago is probably better than me now. He's in the NFL doing scheme and fundamentals 24/7/365 while I'm driving around trying to find freaks. He does it more with better people so he will have a deeper knowledge than me.