District 4A 2015-2016

LilGoose10

My front runner right now is Coalfield. Though they lose Layne, they return a lot of guard power along with Foster and Berry down low. They aren't too far ahead though. I didn't see Oneida or Jellico any this summer, though I imagine Oneida will be rather good. Oakdale may lose Fred Snow this year, because he took a job with the Central Office and a law in the school system states you can't work there and coach (I think). 

I have it:

1. Coalfield- Good, balanced team. Depth is an issue

2. Oneida- Returns size & good guards (I think)

3. Wartburg- Good, balanced team. Still have Olivia Hamby. Melton is sneaky good in the post, don't think she was used enough last year.

4. Oakdale- Surprise team IMO. Loses two starters, but Everett & Coffey are capable scorers. Davidson (5'8") will be returning from an injury that sidelined her most of last season. Calling it now, Kaylee Headen will be the surprise star of the team. She can PLAY

5. OS- Looked human again in summer after 10 straight years of dominance. NEVER doubt a Michelle Christopher team though

6. Sunbright- Has a good core, but the supporting cast will hurt. Stephens was hurt this summer, so I didn't see their whole team.

7. Jellico- Didn't have much last year, but should be improved with this coaching staff having another year under the belt

Looks good but I think it will be a battle between Coalfield and Onieda for first place

Top player: Newport from Oneida is the early frontrunner for MVP. Foster from CF is a good player too.

Biggest sleeper team: Oakdale. Oakdale has balance and experience.

Return Everett (PG), Coffey and Davidson down low (5'10" and 5'8"), and will get increased production out of Headenn this year. Freshman Keyara Steinmetz will put on a show as well.

Best post is a toss up. I like Coffey (OD) and Berry (CF). However, they play a very "European" style. Skinny & not very physical. That will hurt them ageist the likes of Melton (WB) and other bruisers. Coffey will be complimented by Davidson and York at OD, while Berry will have Foster down low at CF.

As for shooters, none stand out as GREAT. Each team seems to have a lot of GOOD shooters though

Edited by LilGoose10

And on the topic of Freshmen, the Coalfield freshman is Hannah Shannon. Probably would've started for the high school team as an 8th grader last year.

Yea, after thinking about it...that's who came to mind.  Hurt for big chunks of the year last year. Maybe she'll be healthy this year.

I coached Berry and Coffey this summer. They love playing at the high post, and have a great jump shot, passing ability, and one-dribble moves. They struggled against big, back to the basket posts though. This district doesn't have many of those left (thankfully for them). I think they'll both put up all-district numbers due to their baketball IQ and scoring ability. 

If Newport is going well then I like Oneida's chances this year.....she is hands down the top passer in the district averaging about 5 assists per game for her career so far.  Added to the fact she is a proven scorer who can light a scoreboard when she is on. (her high point game last year was 34) Another from the Lady Indians who is swinging upward is Dishman (Jr.).  She has continued to play AAU and has shown the ability to score regularly.....that makes for a very good one-two punch.  Add Bertram at the post and they will have a solid inside game to compliment a whole slew of guards.  Yancey, Wright, Huling, Brooks, Lowe, M. Newport, and possibly Buttram (Fr.) could all figure into some PT.  They can all run and score points and I'd say they will push the ball up the court.  Biggest thing they need this year is to be consistent every night out.  I do expect them to be a load in the district for any team....if you beat them Coach West will make sure you earned your W.

Kazzor 

I believe the Lady Indians won both match-ups with Coalfield last year?  They split in the regular season with Wartburg.....and the loss was easily their worst performance in a district game. (Wartburg deserved to win that night)  I think anyone can win or lose a couple, and still be right in the thick of things.  I left a kid out of my post....arguable their most improved player from last season to this one is Thomas.  About the same size as Dishman and she works hard when she is out there.  I agree that Coalfield and Wartburg will be good tests for to get past, and it won't be easy either.

Kaz

• 4 weeks later...