State Champion of the Past: 1990 Lincoln Co. Falcons (25yr anniversary)

Epic is an understatement. I'm biased of course, but that's the best game I have ever seen. NFL, College, High School, Pee Wee's lol you name it. Everything was riding on that game (winner went to the State Finals) back and forth tilt all night, 2 All American's in one game (Summers & Helton) it had it all man. And yes, Central was great in those days. They had about a 10 year run where they were great almost every year. Leon Kirkland, Todd Helton, Skippy Bayless, Courtland Styles, Billy King. Just a few great players from that era who went to Central. Reggie Cobb also, can't forget him.

Let me tell ya. The PA announcer at Gallatin was giving us updates during our game with Stratford in 91'. One minute it was Oak Ridge next it was Knox Central. Central could not stop the run and Ridge could not stop the pass. Gallatin let Stratford get up 2 tds with their 3 man 1000 yard backfield only to have the Wave take control before the half. That year I always wondered what a Knox Central/ Stratford game would have looked like. Anyway we won't talk about one of the worst beatings I ever saw to a Green Wave team the next week.

Louis Thompson, Ken Netherlands, and Calvin Short defined that era in my opinion. Kisabeth and Gaddis not withstanding. Throw in Tommy Owens too. All great coaches. Those teams were always tough. Back then when you won it meant a lot!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me tell ya. The PA announcer at Gallatin was giving us updates during our game with Stratford in 91'. One minute it was Oak Ridge next it was Knox Central. Central could not stop the run and Ridge could not stop the pass. Gallatin let Stratford get up 2 tds with their 3 man 1000 yard backfield only to have the Wave take control before the half. That year I always wondered what a Knox Central/ Stratford game would have looked like. Anyway we won't talk about one of the worst beatings I ever saw to a Green Wave team the next week.

Louis Thompson, Ken Netherlands, and Calvin Short defined that era in my opinion. Kisabeth and Gaddis not withstanding. Throw in Tommy Owens too. All great coaches. Those teams were always tough. Back then when you won it meant a lot!!!

Brings back memories. Yes, Summers ran for about 230 yards on Central and you're right we couldn't stop Helton. That guy was almost impossible to sack. Can't tell you how many times he got away from a sack in that game. Frustrating as he** lol...I've said it many times and I'll say it again.  Best HS QB I have ever seen, hands down. Not only that but he was a heckuva Safety, too. Know what though? Summers not only had 230 yards rushing that game, but made 19 tackles from the LB position. Just wow. Incredible football player he was.

Edited by SweetScience

You named some great and special coaches

1990 Lincoln County Falcons

Class AAA State Champions (15-0)

Head Coach:

LOUIS THOMPSON

W 28-14 Franklin Co.

W 47-6 Shelbyville

W 23-16 Lebanon

W 28-21 Columbia Central

W 35-0 Riverdale

W 43-18 Lawrence Co.

W 44-6 Oakland

W 28-22 Prattville (AL)

W 45-14 Butler (AL)

W 41-0 Coffee Co.

Playoffs

W 13-12 Oakland

W 19-14 Cleveland

W 26-14 Oak Ridge

W 28-14 Knox. Central

W 25-13 Germantown

That team one of the top 2-3 I ever saw in person.

Also Gallatin between '89 and '92 appeared in the clinic bowl 3 of 4 years, winning twice. '90 LC and '92 Gallatin were the last ever to run the table in the 3 class format.

That team one of the top 2-3 I ever saw in person.

Also Gallatin between '89 and '92 appeared in the clinic bowl 3 of 4 years, winning twice. '90 LC and '92 Gallatin were the last ever to run the table in the 3 class format.

That 1990 Lincoln Co team met a Gallatin team for a scrimmage in Murfreesboro before the season started. During that contest Gallatin's starting QB was injured for the year. Had that not happened I think Gallatin would have played them for the state title that year. He was the Clinic Bowl MVP the year prior and that was a huge loss.

That '91 clinic bowl at Vanderbilt was probably the last really massive crowd to watch a state title game. OR v Gallatin. Remember being there very well. Tons of middle tennesseans came out to cheer for Gallatin. Not to be with that great OR team led by Shawn summers. Huge buzz built up in Nashville for that game over the week prior to the game.

Those were the days, never to return with 8 title games played in the middle of nowhere today.

That '91 clinic bowl at Vanderbilt was probably the last really massive crowd to watch a state title game. OR v Gallatin. Remember being there very well. Tons of middle tennesseans came out to cheer for Gallatin. Not to be with that great OR team led by Shawn summers. Huge buzz built up in Nashville for that game over the week prior to the game.

Those were the days, never to return with 8 title games played in the middle of nowhere today.

I read on the TSSAA website that around 23,000 were at that game. OR brought just about half of the city to that game. As you said it was a MASSIVE crowd. Thankfully my Wildcats dominated from start to finish. Only loss we had that year was to a great Paducah-Tilghman team from KY and lost by a darn point. That OR team was awesome.

I read on the TSSAA website that around 23,000 were at that game. OR brought just about half of the city to that game. As you said it was a MASSIVE crowd. Thankfully my Wildcats dominated from start to finish. Only loss we had that year was to a great Paducah-Tilghman team from KY and lost by a darn point. That OR team was awesome.

Wasn't the last massive crowd. The 92' game with Gallatin and Clinton was huge as well. It was in the 20,000+ range too.

Did Scotty Whitt impress you that game? He's the most "talented" HS RB I have ever seen.

No not at all. I do not believe he had over 100 yards and the Gallatin back, Jeremy McMurry set a record at the time with over 200 yards. I thought Witt was very overrated.