North v Central

I agree .. Only problem is the turn away of kids (tryouts etc.) !! Yes some kids are good and some kids ...well....will not and never step out on field (but football keeps them out of trouble for the most part) so I hope they give all kids a chance and politics stays away /to minimum!!

It sounds funny to say but turning down athletes sometimes is not a bad thing.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard a lot of talk about that happening but do you really believe it will.

That was the recommendation from the study that Sullivan County had done and it was officially adopted by the county board of education a few weeks ago. I think it will most likely fall in the high end of the 5A category though - not sure exactly how much of Central (Kingsport side) will go to the new school. Students on the eastern side of Central's territory will be shifted to Sullivan East. The numbers they are throwing around are that there would be two 1700 student high schools in Sullivan County. Much of the North population is threatening to jump over the state line to Gate City, VA. GC currently allows a little of that (I hear tuition free) but they could not accept an influx like that. North folks are up in arms because schools have been closing over in that area like crazy. The date they are talking about is opening in 2019 but plans will probably shift somewhat.

Edited by RebRaider85

That was the recommendation from the study that Sullivan County had done and it was officially adopted by the county board of education a few weeks ago. I think it will most likely fall in the high end of the 5A category though - not sure exactly how much of Central (Kingsport side) will go to the new school. Students on the eastern side of Central's territory will be shifted to Sullivan East. The numbers they are throwing around are that there would be two 1700 student high schools in Sullivan County. Much of the North population is threatening to jump over the state line to Gate City, VA. GC currently allows a little of that (I hear tuition free) but they could not accept an influx like that. North folks are up in arms because schools have been closing over in that area like crazy. The date they are talking about is opening in 2019 but plans will probably shift somewhat.

Sounds like it's going to happen and thanks for the info.