Dickson vs Columbia

TheStakeholder

This the same excuse we hear at HCHS a few years back that the kids had other things to do and it was not anyone's fault. HCHS went through some tuff times also. But we got a man in there that motivated the comunnaty and the school coach Gadds turned the program around the same can be done at Dickson . I guest that's the difference in HCHS football vs DCHS football do not except the medoker football or sports in general. By the way I have a kid going to DCHS

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe pats73 should go back to HC if he does not like what he is watching in DC !!! The coaching staff in DC has to play the athletes that come out for the football team just like any sport at DC or any other school for that matter! I have been told over the last few years that a lot of the better athletes in this school have chose to play one sport only (basketball, baseball, golf, wrestling, etc...) and with that coach wanting them to concentrate on that particular sport and all of the AAU and travel ball time requirements, the kids and their parents can't afford or do not want them play 2 or 3 sports. Also, there are the kids that have the ability and size that chose to not play any sports because they want a JOB, vehicle, girlfriends,(or boyfriends) and some have grown up playing football on video games and think you are crazy if you think they are going to spend time in the spring & summer, working out in 90 degree heat and sweating! Also, you throw in going from 1 high school in the county with 2200 students to 2 high schools and split your athletes in half, it does make a difference. I am not trying to make excuses for the decline (???) of football in DC, but if pats73 has anything to say about it, maybe we should just give up and play softball !! Please do not blame the coaches either, they can only play the players that want put out the effort and compete on Friday nights, This also is not a slam on the fine program at HC either, I was only saying that if pats73 did not like what he is seeing at DC, just watch some other football and let DC "go by the way", what ever he means by that.

I think a good number of schools across the state share those same problems..

As a person that watchs high school football a lot there is a problem under why the kids will not come out for football at the high school level. Go to the middle school and see how many come out of the dressing room. Then go to the high school and see how many they have that's including the freshman class on the field at the high school . That's my point there is a reason why they are no coming out at the high school level. The middle school can win the MAC each year the high school can not win the district with the same players. Don't get me wrong coach Willams is a fine man and teaches great young men but there is no fire in the belly what is lacking ? You tell me

After attending this game tonight, I can tell you one thing....talk about lack of energy! I watched kids walking back to the huddle like they could care less about the game, almost no hustle during the most critical times in the game. At times it seemed like the kids looked over to the sidelines and wanted the coaches to help, but I saw no sense of urgency or enthusiasm from the coaches and you can not blame that on the kids!! Blown assignments on offense and especially on the defensive side of the ball, I know it is only the second game of the season, but come on....you are the coach, if a senior kid does not want to hustle and bust his rear on every play, sit him down and put in a soph. or freshman who wants to play! I saw Columbia " run back on the field " after halftime and were jumping around, firing up the crowd and the coaches were right there with them. What was DC doing? Walking down the sidelines, no fire or enthusiasm, coaches doing nothing to fire them up or get them excited about a 14-14 game....my goodness, you are still in this game!! I saw one kid who showed emotion the whole ballgame (#35) and he never slowed down, never gave up. I have watched DC football for 30 plus years and have defended them and gave the coaches a lot of slack for lackluster performances, but as a lot of people around here think and I am almost ready to join them in thinking this, but it might be time for a change! If you can't get the kids excited to come out for football and you can't get them excited during the game, you might need to do a reality check and let someone else take a shot at the position. I know the coach is a fine man, but maybe his passion has faded a little bit? This is just my opinion, and I am usually the last one to blame coaches for wins and losses, but  I will blame the coaches for lack of enthusiasm and desire to win. This is what you preach to them in practice, and I have watched practices over the last couple of years and it is the same thing... walk back to the huddle, don't finish blocks, arm tackling, NO hustle at all !! The kids have to want to play and the coaches have to MOTIVATE, that's what a coach is suppose to do!! Sorry, rant over!! Go Cougars!!

Spot on with your post I was there watching the kids look at it as a job not a game. No leadership from the sidelines no high fives by the coaches no hand shakes pats on the back. Shirt tails on heads down they all wanted to be at the sonic lets get this over quickly. DCHS only has 27 kids out and that dressing freshmen they should have 50 or 60 not including freshmen. Seeing what's going on that the middle school I wander if the same thing going on at the high school

DC80 watch what I am telling you DCHS will only win 3 games at the most on the current path that they are on. The team has the talent to be much better than that. This is the time to step forward and inspire the kids not beat them get them fired up. When I played there was not walking around shirt tails tucked in heads up heads in the game by everyone the coach met us at the sideline shaking hands pats on the back telling us keep up the good work ever player on the sidelines holling