William Blount @Heritage

Governm

Or it could just be the stars aligning and a group of good athletes came

through during that time period with a good coach. The baseball team was

good during that time as well. Since then, not so much in either sport.

Even George Quarles can't coach up a mule to win the KY Derby.

Or it could be that we had a good head coach and staff and good support from the administration,fans, and student body. :huh: There hasn't been much of that since Meadows left but it's coming back now. And by the way I went to Maryville for awhile and knew some of their starters personally and played some pick-up basketball games and backyard football games with some of those guys back in the day. They don't always have these worldbeater athletes like you think they do. Back when I was an 8th grader at Carpenters Middle we beat Maryville middle 28-6. 4 years later those same players we beat in middle school beat us 30-0 or something like that. The only difference was different uniforms and the fact that they had George Quarles calling the plays and we had our 3rd head coach in 3 years. And you can't forget that Fairview has had alot of good youth league football teams over the years. To say that WB doesn't have the athletes to win just isn't accurate. If Shad stays around you will see a WB football program that wins consistently. Edited by Governors91

Friends, Romans, Blount Countians

Lend me your ears. Call me Negative Nancy. Call me crazy. Call me a moron. (I get called way worse in my office each day.) As long as Maryville and Alcoa continue to have ridiculous success, WB and HHS will suffer. It is already mathematically astounding that the 2 most winningest programs in the COUNTRY over the last DECADE are located in Blount County Tennessee. There are only so many kids in one area. So I think it is mathematically impossible for all 4 schools to have 8 or 9 win seasons CONSISTENTLY. And yes, when Meadows had his 3 good years in a row, we did have a run of players and he did a good job with them. However, when he left, the well went DRY. Phil Shadowens has the ability to make WB a consistent winner. He is STRONG! But he is not a miracle worker. He has to have players. WB has several very good athletes that are 9th graders right now, but most of them are basketball and baseball players. We must get them on the gridiron. But that is easier said than done. If PS can grab some players, he will win (maybe not 8-9 games, but at least 6-7)

Maryville Alcoa game has lost some it's luster the last few years. Heck EVERY MARYVILLE game has lost some luster lately. I have told GQ that he has ruined football in East TN. No one can compete. I don't think (could be wrong) that even Alcoa cares that much about beating Maryville like they used to. They would like to win, but it isn't a big deal anymore. They just work towards a gold ball. So that is why I say the WB/HHS game has more entertainment. And an 18 year winning streak is on the line. HHS has beat Maryville since they have beat WB. Now there is a stat for you.

Anyway, should be fun. It is the turfless jumbotronless county game full of entertainment. Good luck to everyone!

^I just think you have lost faith in the WB football program after watching so many losing seasons like me. Me thinks you would be singing a different tune if Shad had showed up before the 2013 season when we had Peyton Otis,Devin Fair, Joel Graham, and Derek Delaney (a kid that was as fast as or faster than any kid on the football field on any given Friday night). I think we have a good junior class right now but talent is a little down across the board. But as far as having talent on a regular basis we've had it. We have had a number of teams that were good enough to make the playoffs but finished with 3-7 or 2-8 records. I think everyone can agree WB is capable of being better than a perennial 3-7 team.

I am in agree with etcoach to some degree. There are limited numbers of athletes. But, WB has a lot of good athletes that aren't playing football. If Shad will walk the halls, and talk the biggest kids he sees into playing football, it would improve his team. Talk the other sports athletes into playing football, he could put a competitive team on the field that would sometimes beat Alcoa or Maryville. Do that enough and eventually your kids quit transferring to those other schools and you beat them perennially.

I am in agree with etcoach to some degree. There are limited numbers of athletes. But, WB has a lot of good athletes that aren't playing football. If Shad will walk the halls, and talk the biggest kids he sees into playing football, it would improve his team. Talk the other sports athletes into playing football, he could put a competitive team on the field that would sometimes beat Alcoa or Maryville. Do that enough and eventually your kids quit transferring to those other schools and you beat them perennially.

that's what Meadows did we had roster full of athletes every yr lot kids probably have gave up on football cause we have been down so long

Believe me we try to get kids to play. But you can't make them. The answer I usually get is "I don't mind football, but the practices are too hard and it is too hot." So what can you do? Build an air conditioned indoor facility and give each kid $500?

Here is one thing I know. If PS just had about 10-15 more bodies that were decent athletes who would buy in, then he would have immediate success.

Hopefully we can find the bell. I think Phil Porter hid it!