Week 5: Alcoa at Scott

AlcoaBasketball

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put 2009 and this year as the best in history. Hard to determine which is better just yet.

I would have to strongly disagree with your pick for best defense (I'll omit this year until the season is over). Being an actual Alcoa Alum, and having actually watched all of the Alcoa teams for the past 10-15 years, I would say the best defense would be either the 06 or 08 team.

From a talent perspective, the 06 team was loaded (Sykes, Lanxster, Sommers, Hicks, Tate and Cobb, just to name a few). I distinctly remember Alcoa beating the high powered offense of  Goodpasture 31-3 in the state finals. Goodpasture came into the game with tons of hype surrounding their Wing T offense (Goodpasture had scored 40+ points in 8 of their 15 games that season). If my memory is correct, Goodpasture also started Benny Cunningham at RB (St. Louis Rams). Although the the Alcoa Defense did allow 136 points over the course the season, its important to keep in mind they did play a very good Fulton team (Dennis Rogan & Dennis Freeny), McCallie (Bj Coleman), and Maryville, of course. 

The 08 team lacked "super stars" on the team, but they were loaded with smart players who had extremely high football IQ's. Just for reference, 7 of the starters on the defense made 1st team All State in class 2A (offense and defense). 3 of those players played on the D Line. The 08 team also only allowed 75 points (believe a school record) over the course of the season. I believe they also set records for yardage allowed. Additionally, in the state championship game versus a solid Milan team, Alcoa held Milan without a first down until late in the 3rd quarter. This Milan team had 2 future Kentucky Wildcats on the team, one being current Tennessee Titan LB Avery Williamson. 

Anyways, just thoughts from an old Alcoa Alum. 

Go Tornadoes 

I would have to strongly disagree with your pick for best defense (I'll omit this year until the season is over). Being an actual Alcoa Alum, and having actually watched all of the Alcoa teams for the past 10-15 years, I would say the best defense would be either the 06 or 08 team.

From a talent perspective, the 06 team was loaded (Sykes, Lanxster, Sommers, Hicks, Tate and Cobb, just to name a few). I distinctly remember Alcoa beating the high powered offense of Goodpasture 31-3 in the state finals. Goodpasture came into the game with tons of hype surrounding their Wing T offense (Goodpasture had scored 40+ points in 8 of their 15 games that season). If my memory is correct, Goodpasture also started Benny Cunningham at RB (St. Louis Rams). Although the the Alcoa Defense did allow 136 points over the course the season, its important to keep in mind they did play a very good Fulton team (Dennis Rogan & Dennis Freeny), McCallie (Bj Coleman), and Maryville, of course.

The 08 team lacked "super stars" on the team, but they were loaded with smart players who had extremely high football IQ's. Just for reference, 7 of the starters on the defense made 1st team All State in class 2A (offense and defense). 3 of those players played on the D Line. The 08 team also only allowed 75 points (believe a school record) over the course of the season. I believe they also set records for yardage allowed. Additionally, in the state championship game versus a solid Milan team, Alcoa held Milan without a first down until late in the 3rd quarter. This Milan team had 2 future Kentucky Wildcats on the team, one being current Tennessee Titan LB Avery Williamson.

Anyways, just thoughts from an old Alcoa Alum.

Go Tornadoes

Valid thoughts at that. Maybe I'm giving the 2009 team too much credit since they beat Maryville by 17 and blanked Milan. That 7-year stretch was special.

Valid thoughts at that. Maybe I'm giving the 2009 team too much credit since they beat Maryville by 17 and blanked Milan. That 7-year stretch was special.

I agree, amazing stretch. Crazier to think Alcoa was a 1 point loss, and a 2 point loss from 10 straight titles. Which game was your favorite in that stretch? If you had to pick one.

They were great games.....but they hurt! LOL

They really were great games! But if I leave those 2 out for obvious reasons, I agree, the 2010 game is my favorite Alcoa game. What a great time to just be a football fan and not have a dog in that fight! 2 great teams and a battle for 4 quarters. That game makes my top 5 HS games of all time, which is saying something since neither were "my" team.