District 7 A/AA seeds are set

ChattanoogaCannon

Coach Cal sends an email out every Saturday asking the coaches that actually respond to him across the state to send in their top 11.  He does not control the rankings.  He puts down what the coaches send him.  After Page won the CCS tournament in which CAK, CCS, and Greenville all were in, the majority of the coaches still put those 3 in front of Page.  Coach Cal made sure he called a couple coaches to tell them what coaches had sent in because he didn't necessarily agree with the majority vote but to keep as accurate as possible he kept the integrity of the coaches vote and put in the rankings as they added up.  To think any less of Coach Cal and him trying to get as close to an accurate ranking as he can is absolutely wrong.  We should appreciate the fact he is putting himself out there to get the best ranking as possible.  If more coaches that play these top teams across the state would help out it will only get more accurate.  Right now you have half the coaches that have seen most of the top ten and the other half have no clue.  But it is still the most accurate ranking there is for TN high school soccer.  I can almost guarantee that 4 of these teams will be in the semifinals.  I really appreciate Coach Cal for setting this up and of course it always gives us something to talk about.

I agree with you 100%.

Coach Cal just ADDS UP THE VOTES from the other coaches that send them in (myself included).  I respect and admire his integrity and the job he does, because it isn't easy (I work on the guys rankings and it is really hard to get coaches to vote each week).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I know CCS Coach does the rankings, and yes, they don't mean squat, cept in locker room speeches.  If CCS is the #1 team in A/AA, then I'm the #1 singer in country music.  However, I do believe the rankings do help in the seedings for state, until the decision making group runs into teams from the same district, then the ol' dartboard comes out.  The SM game was something-that field was a joke.  Forwards would lose the ball in the sinkhole at midfield, and then slide 10 feet afterwards.  Scoring anything was next to impossible so we thought, but that team came together and worked it's usual 'when it matters' magic.  I think a lot of people wrote us off this year, but our goalie is MUCH improved and the team overall is a better team than some scores would indicate. 

and that #1 ranked team in the state that finished 2nd in their district to the Lady Irish, also loss to a bad EH team last night

Booger just sayin dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif

and that #1 ranked team in the state that finished 2nd in their district to the Lady Irish, also loss to a bad EH team last night

Booger just sayin dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif

What the? This is why I don't look at the rankings. If this doesn't say how idiotic the rankings are, I don't know what does. Where's MVM for some real rankings? At least he has actually seen every team in East Tennessee at least.

What the? This is why I don't look at the rankings. If this doesn't say how idiotic the rankings are, I don't know what does. Where's MVM for some real rankings? At least he has actually seen every team in East Tennessee at least.

Idiotic?

If you have a better way of doing it, please, do tell.

You want a better ranking, have ALL of the soccer coaches respond to the e mail requests each and every week.  We have sent out request upon request, and of the 100+ coaches in A/AA we have very few that respond.  

We do the best that we can with what we have.  

Truth will tell in about a week anyway.

Rankings do serve a purpose, though!

They get people talking about high school soccer, and they can generate interest for big games. Also, in a smaller area, if your team can say that it's ranked, you're more likely to get coverage from the press.

It's a small tangible measure of success. Take it with a grain of salt? Sure. But I wouldn't write them off completely.

They get people talking about high school soccer, and they can generate interest for big games. Also, in a smaller area, if your team can say that it's ranked, you're more likely to get coverage from the press.

It's a small tangible measure of success. Take it with a grain of salt? Sure. But I wouldn't write them off completely.

Agree whole heartedly.

Good post. They are mostly for fun and to be taken lightly.

Am I correct that ND and CCS tied, but ND gets the top seed? 6-6-3 record? Typical ND record. Love it.

I remember one year we played CCS in the state finals and before the last game, they had a losing record.

It's what you do when it matters that makes the difference...

I remember one year we played CCS in the state finals and before the last game, they had a losing record.

It's what you do when it matters that makes the difference...

In 2010 ND had only won 4 games in the regular season.  When they got to State they beat the 3 best teams there CPA, Page, then CAK to win it all.  If they are coming on strong now, watch out!!!