Henry County @ Dickson County

redblooded

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What on earth does Liberty do each year that causes you guys fits? Ya'll have absolutely smoked everyone since then. That game has confused me the past two years. Didn't they even have a different head coach this year?

Liberty is always one of the most talented teams on our schedule. They have won 3 of the last 6 meetings for a reason. I agree with whoever said they have fared better in that game since it was moved to the beginning of the season.

People hold Liberty's lack of playoff success against them, and I'll admit sometimes it does make me scratch my head (mainly last year), but idk how much injuries or a lack of depth play in to that. Most years they at least have the horses for a deep run.

Edited by MSURacer

Liberty is always one of the most talented teams on our schedule. They have won 3 of the last 6 meetings for a reason. I agree with whoever said they have fared better in that game since it was moved to the beginning of the season.

People hold Liberty's lack of playoff success against them, and I'll admit sometimes it does make me scratch my head (mainly last year), but idk how much injuries or a lack of depth play in to that. Most years they at least have the horses for a deep run.

Speed Kills. Believe it or not, Henry County is not blessed with a tremendous amount of athletes. They win football games the old fashioned way...smash mouth. If you compare the Henry County football team to Dickson, Clarksville, etc. they match up pretty well. Lined up against Liberty, Ridgeway, the old Melrose, and other Memphis teams, it's not even close. So, with that being said, Henry County has to be perfect when they play these teams. No margin for error against that kind of speed and athleticism. 

Liberty is bigger, faster, more athletic.  They became a force when they learned discipline.  If I recall, the last game we won against them at their place was close and we were better that night probably because we were better conditioned (2012?).

The last game we won here (2013?) resulted in their going back to Jackson and having a full practice until after midnight.  That kind of seriousness results in the kind of team that can compete with Henry County.

What on earth does Liberty do each year that causes you guys fits?   Ya'll have absolutely smoked everyone since then.  That game has confused me the past two years.   Didn't they even have a different head coach this year?

After the Liberty game, I thought HC would be 5-5 for the year. HC staff made some great player adjustments and the OL has gotten better each week. But I also think that Liberty has been the only really good team HC has faced. The other teams that I first thought were good teams (Hou, Gallatin, CHS, Rossview) have struggled against good teams. So I'm not sure how good HC is at this time. Their defense is very good and offense is much better than the first of the year.

The next 3 games will all be very physical and competitive (yes even the DC game) and will tell a great deal about where HC stands.

The off week after the DC game comes at a very good time. 

Also, I hope HC is focused on winning each game they play and not too worried about holding teams scoreless - just win baby. To me there has been too much hype about shutouts. JMO.

GO BIG RED.

Speed Kills. Believe it or not, Henry County is not blessed with a tremendous amount of athletes. They win football games the old fashioned way...smash mouth. If you compare the Henry County football team to Dickson, Clarksville, etc. they match up pretty well. Lined up against Liberty, Ridgeway, the old Melrose, and other Memphis teams, it's not even close. So, with that being said, Henry County has to be perfect when they play these teams. No margin for error against that kind of speed and athleticism. 

I agree with you that HC is a smashmouth team this year.  I do think that you're overselling the lack of athletes though, this year and in the past.  I feel like we beat the old Melrose's because we could match up for the most part and played a more disciplined brand of football. Even in the Counce era of teams, we have had some incredible athletes that could run around you (or over you).   

After the Liberty game, I thought HC would be 5-5 for the year. HC staff made some great player adjustments and the OL has gotten better each week. But I also think that Liberty has been the only really good team HC has faced. The other teams that I first thought were good teams (Hou, Gallatin, CHS, Rossview) have struggled against good teams. So I'm not sure how good HC is at this time. Their defense is very good and offense is much better than the first of the year.

The next 3 games will all be very physical and competitive (yes even the DC game) and will tell a great deal about where HC stands.

Also, I hope HC is focused on winning each game they play and not too worried about holding teams scoreless - just win baby. To me there has been too much hype about shutouts. JMO.

GO BIG RED.

I think both the Liberty and Houston games are the 2 best games that this team could have played this season.  They revealed a lot to both players and coaches, and the results have been great.  Gallatin was a good team when they got on the bus to come to Paris. No clue what's happened since.  I think that game here had some side effects.  Clarksville is a respectable 5A playoff team, but it's obvious that Centennial and Brentwood will be our litmus test going into the playoffs.

I do worry about our offense's ability to get in a rhythm sometimes.  They're growing week-by-week, though, and having 2 big-play backs helps.  

GO BIG RED.

I agree. Shutouts are great and all...but keep the main goal in mind, the gold ball.

I agree with you that HC is a smashmouth team this year.  I do think that you're overselling the lack of athletes though, this year and in the past.  I feel like we beat the old Melrose's because we could match up for the most part and played a more disciplined brand of football. Even in the Counce era of teams, we have had some incredible athletes that could run around you (or over you).   

That's true, we have had our share of spectacular athletes over the years. McNairl, Teague, Allens, Ray, Sims, etc. However, if you line up the players from each of these teams and picked the best athletes, the Ridgeways, Liberty's and Melroses would win hands down. Probably 5 to 1. So to say we "match up" is unrealistic. We play disciplined, tackle well and win on special teams.

Back in those days, having Teague/Allen/McFerren/Sims to name a few could matchup with anyone, especially in the offense we ran.  I have no problem saying that.  In the Counce era things have changed a little bit, but like you said, it's turned into a more of a smashmouth style. We get our fast guys in cycles and random years just like most anywhere else.  For a while in the late mid to late 2000s, we had a load of them.  I obviously don't think this year's team is the fastest in HC history, but they play hard and it shows.  We've still got some burners. 3 has wowed me more than once with his acceleration and you can catch yourself staring at the back of 7's jersey pretty easily if you're not careful.  One of the biggest things that I think is not pointed out enough is how fast our LB's flow to the ball.  

Also, I get your "5 to 1" comment.  What narrows that gap in my opinion is weeding some out by asking "are they athletes or football players"? That goes back to how lucky we've been to have top notch coaches.  

Edited by RedSwarm