Brentwood Academy versus MBA

baylorbigdog1976

JO has a lot of work to do on his game ( like all high school kids ) but I don't remember ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) a BA QB who ever won a mr football or back of the year award.

JO's performance last night against MBA was one of the best performances I have ever seen by a player in a BA uniform.

Thats hyperbole fella. Good athlete and basketball player. Better arm talent left the school years ago because of the "connections" JO had in the school.

His flair in basketball draws attention to himself sometimes.

He has less talent than Knox did and isnt skilled enough to play at an SEC school unless he improves a ton.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

JO has a lot of work to do on his game ( like all high school kids ) but I don't remember ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) a BA QB who ever won a mr football or back of the year award.

JO's performance last night against MBA was one of the best performances I have ever seen by a player in a BA uniform.

Kent Austin and Jeff Brothers were both better by a good bit IMO.

Like i said the kids good but better arm talent left the school. I know a BA legend who laughed at it. Its part of the reason why BA has lost so much to Ensworth even when they had superior talent.

Both had better teams and won state championships - better passers sure but I don't know about better athletes and we shall see when it's all said and done. I'll stick by my statement that last night was one of the best performances I have seen from a BA player in the years I have been associated with the school. 450 yards balanced between passing and running with 5tds is worthy of praise

Like i said the kids good but better arm talent left the school. I know a BA legend who laughed at it. Its part of the reason why BA has lost so much to Ensworth even when they had superior talent.

And IMO I don't buy that BA has had more talent than ensworth always . BA has better players in college now sure but the 4 years ensworth won the state collectively no one could equal the athletes they had on the field . I think people at BA like to say that as a way to pump out their chest a little bit void of gold balls. I have even heard Ricky bowers say that and I take it with a grain of salt because it makes him look better to win when people think he has less talent . I have been critical of the play calling at times. It's less than creative and predictable but I have seen improvement there as of late.

And IMO I don't buy that BA has had more talent than ensworth always . BA has better players in college now sure but the 4 years ensworth won the state collectively no one could equal the athletes they had on the field . I think people at BA like to say that as a way to pump out their chest a little bit void of gold balls. I have even heard Ricky bowers say that and I take it with a grain of salt because it makes him look better to win when people think he has less talent . I have been critical of the play calling at times. It's less than creative and predictable but I have seen improvement there as of late.

Without question BA has had better talent and your alums, other coaches, and college football proves it. We can disagree though.

As far as pure athelticism JO is a quick, shifty athlete moreso than the two i mentioned. However, his arm talent isnt as good as theirs was when they were seniors (JO is their age now right).

The kid had a great game no doubt. Good for him!

Edited by Playerscoach

Idk - I look at QBs differently I suppose. Fitting within an overal system is important. I was watching the Alabama game last night and thought to myself they always have the same type quarterback . Probably fairly smart - do not make many mistakes - accurate short to mid range throw... not very mobile but mobile enough. I am sure Alabama could recruit just about anyone they wished ....but they are looking for a certain type of athlete to fit within what they would like to do ....You get my point ...

Coaches have an idea of the type of QB that can effectively run their system best. So many intangibles associated with the QB position. Mobile quarterback who can make pass plays when needed probably fits best within the BA system.

Without question BA has had better talent and your alums, other coaches, and college football proves it. We can disagree though.

As far as pure athelticism JO is a quick, shifty athlete moreso than the two i mentioned. However, his arm talent isnt as good as theirs was when they were seniors (JO is their age now right).

The kid had a great game no doubt. Good for him!

Thats hyperbole fella. Good athlete and basketball player. Better arm talent left the school years ago because of the "connections" JO had in the school.

His flair in basketball draws attention to himself sometimes.

He has less talent than Knox did and isnt skilled enough to play at an SEC school unless he improves a ton.

Wow!  Sounds like you have axe to grind.

I never said he was comparable to much less better than any former players. 

I retract my statement.  He's not a special athlete.  He's just been lucky and made to look good by everybody around him.  He won't even be nominated for Mr Football.  Chandler wins in a landslide.  Feel  better?

BTW, where did your son end up playing after he left BA?

Wow! Sounds like you have axe to grind.

I never said he was comparable to much less better than any former players.

I retract my statement. He's not a special athlete. He's just been lucky and made to look good by everybody around him. He won't even be nominated for Mr Football. Chandler wins in a landslide. Feel better?

BTW, where did your son end up playing after he left BA?

First, read who I was responding to inre KA and JB. It wasnt you.

Second, I have a different opinion. He had a great game and deserves credit and praise. Agreeing that hes undersized and doesnt have the arm talent of previous BA QBs isnt "grinding an axe." That comment and asking if I had a son a BA comment are silly.

Lastly, I simly disagree with you because IMO there are other local QBs that would perform well in that offense.

Edited by Playerscoach

Plug any QB into BA and they are Mr Football ?????

Which local QB's would perform better ? I am just curious'

. I can't think of a one who would beat out JO at any of the schools if the played there - BA included on that list. IMO he makes BA much more of a danger because of his mobility than just standing back handing the ball off and being able to throw the ball all over the place . He can pass well enough as shown Friday night. You are certainly entitled to your opinion though

First, read who I was responding to inre KA and JB. It wasnt you.

Second, I have a different opinion. He had a great game and deserves credit and praise. Agreeing that hes undersized and doesnt have the arm talent of previous BA QBs isnt "grinding an axe." That comment and asking if I had a son a BA comment are silly.

Lastly, I simly disagree with you because IMO there are other local QBs that would perform well in that offense.

Plug any QB into BA and they are Mr Football ?????

Which local QB's would perform better ? I am just curious'

. I can't think of a one who would beat out JO at any of the schools if the played there - BA included on that list. IMO he makes BA much more of a danger because of his mobility than just standing back handing the ball off and being able to throw the ball all over the place . He can pass well enough as shown Friday night. You are certainly entitled to your opinion though

BGA, PC, McGavock, Watertown, and Spring Hill. Those are just a few. Thoughts?