Thoughts on Disciplining Team for a Couple Players' Actions

I can handle it when the players in question suffer as much or more discipline.

However, it sucks when rest of the team is punished more than the offenders. For example, two starters skip practice that was supposed to be in shorts. Rest of team then has to dress & practice hard, but starters keep their jobs.

Board's thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, it sucks when rest of the team is punished more than the offenders. For example, two starters skip practice that was supposed to be in shorts. Rest of team then has to dress & practice hard, but starters keep their jobs.

Board's thoughts?

I question the motive of the Coach in that case. You send the complete wrong message to your players. No player should ever be bigger than the program itself. If you want to send the right message you make those starters set a game or you let them know that you had someone challenge for their position and since it means nothing to be a leader you thought you would give it to someone who wanted it. 

Board's thoughts?

This is a tricky situation. On one hand you can lose a team on the other hand you can instill some accountability in the rest of the team. Teenagers are a fickle bunch. You have to gauge your team and realize how this will play out. No matter what happens the offenders have to sit.

I had a baseball coach that was pretty fair guy. If we handled it as a team then the offenders were the only individuals punished. However if senior leadership didn't speak up and hold them accountable then we all were punished. Either way the offenders hated life far worse than we did.

Board's thoughts?

If this is a hypothetical then my first thought is that's not much punishment, unless putting on pants if harder for you than it is for me. My next thought is that if the players in question weren't at practice then how could they be punished? I assume that this happened last week since you say the players in question weren't punished by sitting out all or part of a game. If that's true then I have a problem with them starting and playing a full game last week without penalty. I'm sure we know what team you're talking about and what I've found with you is mostly half truths at best. If what you describe actually happened as you stated, then we won't know about any punishment until the players are at practice or that team actually plays their next game...unless this happened earlier in the season.

Board's thoughts?

I agree with your first statement 100%  "I can handle it when the players in question suffer as much or more discipline"

If this is a hypothetical then my first thought is that's not much punishment, unless putting on pants if harder for you than it is for me. My next thought is that if the players in question weren't at practice then how could they be punished? I assume that this happened last week since you say the players in question weren't punished by sitting out all or part of a game. If that's true then I have a problem with them starting and playing a full game last week without penalty. I'm sure we know what team you're talking about and what I've found with you is mostly half truths at best. If what you describe actually happened as you stated, then we won't know about any punishment until the players are at practice or that team actually plays their next game...unless this happened earlier in the season.

If you are such a mind reader, then I don't need to tell you what I think of your posts. I never mentioned a team or player, nor do I plan to do so. However, I'd love it if you shared any insight you have to particular teams with us.

You should set up a booth and tell people the future.

My 2 cents

(1) I don't agree with this mindset at all. Not just in sports but any group activity in general. What message are you sending people by punishing them for something that others done as individuals? Its pointless. Unless there was some form of team involvement such as the players covering for the individuals.

(2) I have seen both sides of this from completely different programs. I have seen a very successful program not afraid to drop the hammer on players. Even going as far as making the player sit out a game(s) and act as water boy. Then I have seen a program that has struggled for years. The star player constantly in trouble and being a cancer in every way possible to the team. But played the entire season. Because the coach felt that was his only chance to win a game. Pretty much the coach was worried about getting replaced.

If you are such a mind reader, then I don't need to tell you what I think of your posts. I never mentioned a team or player, nor do I plan to do so. However, I'd love it if you shared any insight you have to particular teams with us.

You should set up a booth and tell people the future.

You didn't have to mention the team, its in your name. Your kid got punished for what another kid did. We got that also. Perhaps the Coach (Joe Gaddis) if I'm right figures the team will send the message to these two far better than he can if they caused the team to endure a rough practice. What I do know is calling a legend like Coach Gaddis into question on here gets no favorable results. If you feel strongly, go talk to him.

You didn't have to mention the team, its in your name. Your kid got punished for what another kid did. We got that also. Perhaps the Coach (Joe Gaddis) if I'm right figures the team will send the message to these two far better than he can if they caused the team to endure a rough practice. What I do know is calling a legend like Coach Gaddis into question on here gets no favorable results. If you feel strongly, go talk to him.

LOL

My 2 cents

(1) I don't agree with this mindset at all. Not just in sports but any group activity in general. What message are you sending people by punishing them for something that others done as individuals? Its pointless. Unless there was some form of team involvement such as the players covering for the individuals.

(2) I have seen both sides of this from completely different programs. I have seen a very successful program not afraid to drop the hammer on players. Even going as far as making the player sit out a game(s) and act as water boy. Then I have seen a program that has struggled for years. The star player constantly in trouble and being a cancer in every way possible to the team. But played the entire season. Because the coach felt that was his only chance to win a game. Pretty much the coach was worried about getting replaced.

Sad thing is that allowing players to upstage any coach, but especially the HC, never ends well for anyone.