What is wrong with Sullivan Central?

VictorTheViking

For years, they said they couldn't win because everybody they played was so much bigger.  Now they're in a conference with schools about their size and they're probably still going to go 0-10 after getting blown out by Volunteer.  What gives?

Is it coaching?  Talent?  Something in the water?

I remember that Central used to be pretty decent in the 80s and 90s, then they fell apart.  Why can't they get it going if all the other Sullivan County schools are decent football teams?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their players get grabbed up by tn high and DB

And South.

catch22....  The problem is that you can't build a winning program if the players leave for other schools who are winning.      And the guys are not going to stay because you don't have a winning program.    Some guys would rather be a 2nd string on a winning team that goes to the playoffs than start for an 0-10 program.        Similar to what will happen if Boone gets into another fight at this year's Crockett game  (the T$$AA will reinstate the multi-year suspension of post-season play), hopefully that won't happen but I have already heard several Boone players have plans to go to Science Hill or South next year if that happens.    The kids want to win and have something (the playoffs) to shoot for.

I believe it is a combination of both coaching and players. The players seem to have a lack of commitment and desire to play the game that's mostly from upperclassman. The under class man seem to have the desire and commitment to be good and win games. However I've heard there is a lack of intensity Going into practices and preparation and a lot of standing around talking about what opponents are running instead of going full speed. I've also heard the job team have competed and won some games.

I know for a fact that very few kids who are zoned for Central play for THS.  I'm not sure about South or D-B, but I doubt it's that many.  South, North, and East are all pretty good right now, with North and South consistently solid.

It's so weird to me.  They were decent 20 years ago, then they became a laughing stock.  I know why other schools in this area stay down, but Central shouldn't be this bad year in and year out.

Sometimes it boils down to the fact that winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing.    Kids don't want to go out an kill themselves for a 1-9 team just to go 1-9 again year after year, so they don't even join the team.    The thing is, if those kids would get involved they would start going 2-8, 3-7, etc.      Still lousy but trending towards winning.     Then all of a sudden a few more kids want to play because the are at least winning a few games.    That leads to another win or 2.     Pretty soon you have a winning program and everybody gets excited about it, the community, the school, local middle schools, etc.

But what do I know .......   meanwhile back on planet Earth ....

I know for a fact that very few kids who are zoned for Central play for THS. I'm not sure about South or D-B, but I doubt it's that many. South, North, and East are all pretty good right now, with North and South consistently solid.

It's so weird to me. They were decent 20 years ago, then they became a laughing stock. I know why other schools in this area stay down, but Central shouldn't be this bad year in and year out.

Was it Crowder or Downs (or both) that lived in the Central zone? T Throw in Barger, Wieger, Weaver, and several other "difference makers" over the last several years and Central would not be a doormat right now. We are not talking about kids going somewhere else to be 2nd string. Lots of those transfers are playing on Saturday now.

All those names above should have been at central, they went to central's middle schools. Crowders older brother played at central.  

Central has been in many tight games this year and several leading well into the fourth quarter. I believe that they are starting to trend in the right direction, all they have to do is figure out how to give over that mountain top and finish out games. Up against cocke county, Cherokee, Johnson county and grainger all in the fourth. When they have 14 - 15 at most playing both ways they get run down and mistakes happen. So they've played competitive during the year.

I work with one of the guys involved in the youth programs in the Central area. He has been really enthusiastic about the progress they have been making on that front but when they announced the coming school consolidation it really took the wind out of his sails. The comment I most remember was "Oh well, I guess we are not trying to build a program anymore".

The players and coaching staff are still devoted to building a winning program, they are on the right path of being competitive, The younger kids have the determination to turn the program around and start chipping away at it. It just takes one spark to start a fire and it get going and growing.

Consolidating the schools are going to be many years out in future after the kids in the central, south and north programs are finished with schools, because I don't see the county raising over 100 million to build new schools and renovate in the near future.

I thought the new consolidation was going to be in place by 2019.

Sullivan County has to decide what it's going to be first and foremost.  Then they have to close zones and give all of the schools the resources to win.  It doesn't sound like anyone in the school district is committed to being either a consolidated or non-consolidated school system.  Draw your boundaries and enforce them one way or the other.