Week 11: Northview (5-4) @ Elizabethton (8-1)

EHSTrack06

BPM - I understand what you're saying. I'm not against the band. They work very hard to achieve all that they have. It's just that the band is given more attention than anything else. The girls basketball team goes to state for three years in a row. They win it all the second year and a small "cheap" looking (and rather small) banner that is hidden in the rafters of the gym. The track team goes to state and places in the top three in that state and its not mentioned all! All the money from the "FOOTBALL" concessions goes to the band and then they raise funds by fruit sales. My point being, all work hard to make their chosen activity special and I think it's just as important to support the football team, track teams, basketball teams, etc with the same amount funding and with the same amount of respect equally.

I agree with everything you just said. My only contention was about the participation of supporters in the stands. I mentioned I was at the state competition and the support for the band on that level was very small. I have no doubt that it is much greater at home. If you think about it your school and community are very lucky to have so many top notch programs. Very good problem to have.

Where I work the band also does concessions at the football games. However we are 100% responsible for everything. The band booster club buys all the supplies and parents do all the work. School helps in no way. Is it the same in Elizabethton??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The person who should get the most attention is the Vines girl that plays Tennis. She will bring back more State Titles than anyone in the history of the school.

I agree about the EHS football fans. They do not care or watch the game. There will be plenty of empty seats Friday night and it is the playoffs.

She's special no doubt!

Ok so I have been reading this thread and have comment. First let me say that I have a ton of respect for Elizabethton and their football program.

I am a music teacher and am very familiar with the quality of band you guys have up there. Many state titles. I agree with what you are saying about the people leaving and not staying to support the football team. But how many of you guys are at the band competitions on Saturday to support the band?? To the kids in the band it is just as important to them. I was at the state contest last year and am going to say Betsy probably had 100 or so supporters in the stands cheering on the kids. I would bet there were more people than that cheering on the football team last night.

Again no disrespect intended. Just think that people should think of things from both sides.

No disrespect taken. My point is how would the band feel if 35 of those 100 fans at competition walked out during their performance? It's the band fans that walk out during a FOOTBALL game! I'm proud of every kid that puts effort and time into an after school activity whether I'm able to see them do it or not. I personally wouldn't walk out of a graduation just because my kid has already received their diploma...just an example.

This has always been a sore subject to me and it's worse in person. I've never understood how fans can go to a football game and not cheer the team on and then leave at halftime when the band finished performing (especially during the playoffs). I supported the band and was proud of their hard work and accomplishments as much as I was the football team. I know the team looks for total support from the 12th man throughout the game but it's been my experience that the Cyclones only have 11-1/2 men!

I am in 100% agreement!

No disrespect taken. My point is how would the band feel if 35 of those 100 fans at competition walked out during their performance? It's the band fans that walk out during a FOOTBALL game! I'm proud of every kid that puts effort and time into an after school activity whether I'm able to see them do it or not. I personally wouldn't walk out of a graduation just because my kid has already received their diploma...just an example.

I agree.