Blackman apologizes to Warren County for sign

Blaze45

If one person is offended or upset by a sign or something that is said or done, then it our job as adults to rectify the situation. The problem I have with the situation is the fact that Warren Co. parents called a news outlet instead of just getting in touch with administration or the cheer coaches at the game. No need to make it bigger than it is.

Blah blah blah. If your kid is "offended" because someone said your team is "worse", you and your kid have the problem. Grow up.

Blaze, you agreed that the sign was in poor taste. It seemed you agreed with the school admin addressing this with those that participated. I hope you agree with the practice of making amends. It is not going to hurt those involved to write an apology letter. An act of humility is a great offset to an act of arrogance.

Yes, I think getting the media involved was vengeful and wrong. I think it was an attempt to "right" a "wrong" at the expense of some teenagers that don't always make the best decisions. It was more egregious than the sign.

To all, don't let the media attention cloud your judgment of appropriateness of the school's action. Also, in both situations, don't use a broad brush to characterize a school based on the actions of a few.

Edited by Hubbard

A slap on the wrist and an apology are appropriate gestures, but this :30 Kia car ad sums up what this generation of kids are being taught. Toughen up and play to win! That is REAL LIFE. Take a look!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/12/kias-new-participation-trophy-commercial-that-aired-during-sunday-night-football-gets-standing-ovation-from-internet/

Blaze, you agreed that the sign was in poor taste. It seemed you agreed with the school admin addressing this with those that participated. I hope you agree with the practice of making amends. It is not going to hurt those involved to write an apology letter. An act of humility is a great offset to an act of arrogance.

Yes, I think getting the media involved was vengeful and wrong. I think it was an attempt to "right" a "wrong" at the expense of some teenagers that don't always make the best decisions. It was more egregious than the sign.

To all, don't let the media attention cloud your judgment of appropriateness of the school's action. Also, in both situations, don't use a broad brush to characterize a school based on the actions of a few.

You right I agreed it should not have been hung. I also agree that the school should address all those who participated in hanging the sign up.  But where I have a fundamental difference is that there was the issue was addressed and corrected before the game began on Friday night at the time that it happened and and apology was sent out to the school by the administrator from Blackman on Saturday morning. But that was not good enough. We needed to contact the media , because after all this was so flagrant, that it warrants a full on investigation by the TSSAA. Apologize- yes. Having all cheerleader send a personal note to each player on the Football team . the dance team and cheer squad, might be a little over the top. Will I likely recieve an apology from the truck of kids that flipped me off while leaving the game? Should I reach out to media, because my feelings were hurt? Or should I as an adult chalk it up as kids being kids? I have a child who has a disease that has crippled her, caused complete hair loss and severe depression (kids making fun of her and calling her names) Guess what. She has overcome it and we didn't go to school or the media. 

Edited by Blaze45

You right I agreed it should not have been hung. I also agree that the school should address all those who participated in hanging the sign up.  But where I have a fundamental difference is that there was the issue was addressed and corrected before the game began on Friday night at the time that it happened and and apology was sent out to the school by the administrator from Blackman on Saturday morning. But that was not good enough. We needed to contact the media , because after all this was so flagrant, that it warrants a full on investigation by the TSSAA. Apologize- yes. Having all cheerleader send a personal note to each player on the Football team . the dance team and cheer squad, might be a little over the top. Will I likely recieve an apology from the truck of kids that flipped me off while leaving the game? Should I reach out to media, because my feelings were hurt? Or should I as an adult chalk it up as kids being kids? I have a child who has a disease that has crippled her, caused complete hair loss and severe depression (kids making fun of her and calling her names) Guess what. She has overcome it and we didn't go to school or the media. 

Totally agree 100%

I think we agree that the over-reaction of a few is more in the wrong than the sign.

However, be careful not to behave with the same over-reaction.

Trying to make unrelated analogies and claiming to be tougher than others is not the answer.

Everyone calm the emotions are be just as guilty as others that have over reacted.

For everyone claiming to have thick skin, we sure are getting a lot of panties in a wad over this.

I think we agree that the over-reaction of a few is more in the wrong than the sign.

However, be careful not to behave with the same over-reaction.

Trying to make unrelated analogies and claiming to be tougher than others is not the answer.

Everyone calm the emotions are be just as guilty as others that have over reacted.

For everyone claiming to have thick skin, we sure are getting a lot of panties in a wad over this.

I'm extremely offended that you suggested I wear panties. I'll expect a full written apology from you addressed to me and everyone else subjected to this highly insensitive accusation!

Wow so much for sticks and stones. What happened to the days of teaching your kids that words don't hurt and actions speak louder than words? I could understand if the sign was threatening or had foul language. But to say you are the worst team we have played and that was the show stopper? Isn't every one of those signs essentially saying that the opposing team is horrible and that they don't match up to your team? In the past, signs like that were used as motivation. Now they make the news. I get it. It could hurt someone's feelings. But doesn't losing every game do the same thing? So should we not keep records anymore? Wasn't WC the worst team BHS has played all season? Wasn't it the last regular season? Did they players on WC's team not know that they have worst record in the region? Did they walk out on the field and get surprised by the sign and wonder what the sign meant? News flash! The world still is fair. There will be times in the future that our kids will have to accept that they are not the best, possibly the worst, at something. I know this will ruffle feathers. And I apologize now. I will alert the media.

Edited by milo118

However, be careful not to behave with the same over-reaction.

I am not "claiming" to be tougher or making anaolgies to try to make a point

My daughter has severe juvenile rheumatoid arthritis fybromyalgia,Uveitis,costochondritis

alopecia areata,severe scoloiosis to name a few. 

http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/ccp.asp?ievent=1138317&lis=1&kntae1138317=90EEBC3324FD4825947DA2ACFDE4A11A&ccp=669105

The point is, the options are complain and make a big stink to the media and get yet another apology for something. or accept that best lesson we can teach our kids is to roll with the punches and don't wine about what life gives you, but make the best of it. You will face ridicule and nay sayers all your life, you either buy in to the noise or move past it. 

I am not "claiming" to be tougher or making anaolgies to try to make a point

My daughter has severe juvenile rheumatoid arthritis fybromyalgia,Uveitis,costochondritis

alopecia areata,severe scoloiosis to name a few. 

http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/ccp.asp?ievent=1138317&lis=1&kntae1138317=90EEBC3324FD4825947DA2ACFDE4A11A&ccp=669105

The point is, the options are complain and make a big stink to the media and get yet another apology for something. or accept that best lesson we can teach our kids is to roll with the punches and don't wine about what life gives you, but make the best of it. You will face ridicule and nay sayers all your life, you either buy in to the noise or move past it. 

I think we all should apply your last suggestion to this situation. Don't you?