Round 2 South Pittsburg vs Fayetteville (Grider vs This Palmer Man)

TheAmbassador

Wow. Just wow. The way SP played last night on both sides of the ball was from a football perspective, good to watch. From a fan's perspective, esp. a visiting fan, it was sad and ugly and frustrating. But I was very proud also of the never quit attitude our Tigers had. Yes we have individual outstanding athletes, but so did SP. Blevins, raulston, etc. played their hearts out. The difference was that SP pressured on defense and blew up plays in our backfield, and tackled. Not arm tackled.

Someone earlier posted the our touchdown pass to Pigg was lucky. Maybe, but it was his effort to get into position, wrestle the ball away from the defender, keep his balance, and run it in twenty plus yards to score. Same with McWilliams. Individual effort with below average blocking to support his runs. Lots of pirate fans have talked about how it was two years ago when we first met on the field. 49-0 butt spankin. Lots talked this year about our rematch and another repeat of the same. Well, it was a spankin, but the Tigers put a different, better team on the field last night. Still not good enough, but who knows what may happen next year. I hope we play each year, and hopefully in the later rounds. Good luck next week with CA, you should give them a run.

Side note--we brought a lot of fans last night, but from our visitors side, it looked like your stands were half empty. Realize there were a bunch of people standing on the track on your side, but what gives? And your kids were constantly walking the track like it was a Relay for Life event, not cheering much. I got there and went in at 4:45. There were TWO pirates fans, some police/sherriff officers, and the ticket lady. Even at thirty or so minutes before kickoff it was slow to fill up.

Next year maybe if the CoachT posters from SP wear a hat or badge to identify them we can meet and chew the fat at halftime. I'll bring the Fudge Rounds.

Varo, attendance has went down over the last few years. SP fans usually fill in the stands about 5 minutes before gametime. Not a lot of cheering. More like sitting and watching. Here is what it  was like just 5 years ago. See the difference in crowd noise in just pregame?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RLwxbQX30

Wow. Just wow. The way SP played last night on both sides of the ball was from a football perspective, good to watch. From a fan's perspective, esp. a visiting fan, it was sad and ugly and frustrating. But I was very proud also of the never quit attitude our Tigers had. Yes we have individual outstanding athletes, but so did SP. Blevins, raulston, etc. played their hearts out. The difference was that SP pressured on defense and blew up plays in our backfield, and tackled. Not arm tackled.

Someone earlier posted the our touchdown pass to Pigg was lucky. Maybe, but it was his effort to get into position, wrestle the ball away from the defender, keep his balance, and run it in twenty plus yards to score. Same with McWilliams. Individual effort with below average blocking to support his runs. Lots of pirate fans have talked about how it was two years ago when we first met on the field. 49-0 butt spankin. Lots talked this year about our rematch and another repeat of the same. Well, it was a spankin, but the Tigers put a different, better team on the field last night. Still not good enough, but who knows what may happen next year. I hope we play each year, and hopefully in the later rounds. Good luck next week with CA, you should give them a run.

Side note--we brought a lot of fans last night, but from our visitors side, it looked like your stands were half empty. Realize there were a bunch of people standing on the track on your side, but what gives? And your kids were constantly walking the track like it was a Relay for Life event, not cheering much. I got there and went in at 4:45. There were TWO pirates fans, some police/sherriff officers, and the ticket lady. Even at thirty or so minutes before kickoff it was slow to fill up.

Next year maybe if the CoachT posters from SP wear a hat or badge to identify them we can meet and chew the fat at halftime. I'll bring the Fudge Rounds.

good post Varo but I wanted to comment on the last time these two played. If I'm not mistaken that was two years back and SP barely beat you guys. You guys ran a two point conversion that was unstoppable and then on the final one swapped it up and got stopped which was the deciding factor on the win? Either way your young men seem to fight to the end and I too hope we get to see each other every year.

good post Varo but I wanted to comment on the last time these two played. If I'm not mistaken that was two years back and SP barely beat you guys. You guys ran a two point conversion that was unstoppable and then on the final one swapped it up and got stopped which was the deciding factor on the win? Either way your young men seem to fight to the end and I too hope we get to see each other every year.

I believe that was Clay County last year that you're thinking about.

We beat them 49-0 in that game. It was over after the first quarter. I believe the starting backfield was also out for the first half? Are you ok ChickenDave?

So. Pitt isn't Columbia Academy, and it's not going to be raining tonight. In the CA game, our corner already had 2 picks and shut them down all night - the one play he slipped in the mud while making a cut, they had a 70 yard toss and catch. One play doesn't define a quarter. I still say Fayetteville is a strong 2nd half / 4th quarter team, and So Pitt better be ready to play all 4 quarters tonight. I'm expecting it to go down to the wire and be one of the better games to watch in our bracket tonight.

what were your thoughts on the game coach????

what were your thoughts on the game coach????

I will give credit where credit is due - So. Pitt flat out played us last night. SP's offensive line dominated the entire game and looked much much better than they appeared on the scout film I watched with my son. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it appeared SP played last night with more intensity than any team we've faced all year. I coached most of the Fayetteville boys in youth football years ago, and saw them as a team of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders play with and beat 5th and 6th grade teams. One thing I think I can safely say is that we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves next year. This was only our 3rd year with a varsity football program, and we hope to build the same type tradition here in Fayetteville that South Pittsburg has built over the last 50 years. I can honestly see a Fayetteville / South Pittsburg game happening almost every year in the post season. Looking forward to getting the opportunity to show that we can be just as gracious hosts as the folks I met and talked to last night in South Pittsburg.

Last thing - I'm not a mom Ambassador. Don't know where you got that impression, lol.

I will give credit where credit is due - So. Pitt flat out played us last night. SP's offensive line dominated the entire game and looked much much better than they appeared on the scout film I watched with my son. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it appeared SP played last night with more intensity than any team we've faced all year. I coached most of the Fayetteville boys in youth football years ago, and saw them as a team of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders play with and beat 5th and 6th grade teams. One thing I think I can safely say is that we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves next year. This was only our 3rd year with a varsity football program, and we hope to build the same type tradition here in Fayetteville that South Pittsburg has built over the last 50 years. I can honestly see a Fayetteville / South Pittsburg game happening almost every year in the post season. Looking forward to getting the opportunity to show that we can be just as gracious hosts as the folks I met and talked to last night in South Pittsburg.

Last thing - I'm not a mom Ambassador. Don't know where you got that impression, lol.

good post. How will SP stack up against CA?

good post Kkeele! Much respect for what y'all are building at Fayetteville and best of luck to your program in the future!