Smyrna @ Science Hill : 2nd Round

THSVikings2004

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past four years the only home losses have been one to Brentwood Academy and one to Maryville. Glad we got the #2 seed because we are going to need the home field advantage and Symrna having a five hour bus ride...Smyrna is loaded with athletes all over the field.

Going to be a very tough game at Steve Spurrier Field. Go Toppers!

What i have seen stat wise for SHHS is that they avg 20-25 yards more a game throwing it.

Not sure where you are seeing these stats. SHHS has more rushing yards than passing according to Doug Fritz of the Johnson City Press. Doug gets his stats directly from the team.

With that said, SHHS needs to keep Mathes involved. He is dynamic with the football.

But this game hinges on the SHHS defense and slowing down Smyrna. They didn't totally contain Taylor with Coffee County but he was all they had. Smyrna has kids like him all over the place as Acumen states. We have to contain them and run our offense.

Not sure where you are seeing these stats. SHHS has more rushing yards than passing according to Doug Fritz of the Johnson City Press. Doug gets his stats directly from the team.

With that said, SHHS needs to keep Mathes involved. He is dynamic with the football.

But this game hinges on the SHHS defense and slowing down Smyrna. They didn't totally contain Taylor with Coffee County but he was all they had. Smyrna has kids like him all over the place as Acumen states. We have to contain them and run our offense.

Maxprep is were I get my information. And they could be wrong. Just going off the information in hand at the time.

I think this game is going to be a classic. Two teams fairly evenly matched. We defintely can't look past SHHS in to the third round. And I am sure that hasn't crossed anyone's mind so far. Any let down and my Bulldogs will quickly be on the wrong side of the score.

So what do I need to know about Steve Spurrier Stadium? Natural turf? Must have item at the concession stands. We plan on driving up in the morning. What good local restaurants are in the area? Stuff like that.

Maxprep is were I get my information. And they could be wrong. Just going off the information in hand at the time.

I think this game is going to be a classic. Two teams fairly evenly matched. We defintely can't look past SHHS in to the third round. And I am sure that hasn't crossed anyone's mind so far. Any let down and my Bulldogs will quickly be on the wrong side of the score.

So what do I need to know about Steve Spurrier Stadium? Natural turf? Must have item at the concession stands. We plan on driving up in the morning. What good local restaurants are in the area? Stuff like that.

Here's some info from a local Blazer that may help...    SH's field is artificial turf.    Very nice facilities and stadium, built about 3 years ago.    They have tons of seating as well and the visitor side is nicer than most team's home side.    One drawback though, they charge you $5 to park.

Places to eat:    if you like BBQ then Phil's Dream Pit is on your way to the Johnson City.   I-26 Exit 10.    Top of the ramp hang a left.   You will think it's a wrong turn because there is nothing but cow fields.     Another local favorite for BBQ is Ridgewood in Bluff City, which has won numerous awards and been featured many times in national magazines since the 1950's.    It's going to be about 20 miles out of your way from Science Hill, but well worth the drive if you have the time.

Otherwise Johnson City has all the typical Applebee's, Chilis, Longhorn, etc. stuff like that.

That Taylor kid was tough as a pine knot, several times he just flat ran over a SH would-be tackler.    And how about in the 1st quarter that roll left and throw a pass that looked like a half court shot in basketball?  (you just had to be there....)      Coffee County just kept hanging around and I thought they played way above their talent level even though the final score doesn't look like it.

In the past four years the only home losses have been one to Brentwood Academy and one to Maryville. Glad we got the #2 seed because we are going to need the home field advantage and Symrna having a five hour bus ride...Smyrna is loaded with athletes all over the field.

Going to be a very tough game at Steve Spurrier Field. Go Toppers![/quote

Indy fan here ( average 46 puts game ) and Smyrna was our closet game of the year 21-7

Our Allstate QB missed game but our backup could start for 75% of any team

Passing on Smyrna will not be easy at all

Not sure if your running game but will tell you was very impressed with Smyrna secondary

I think this game is going to be a classic. Two teams fairly evenly matched. We definitely can't look past SHHS in to the third round. And I am sure that hasn't crossed anyone's mind so far. Any let down and my Bulldogs will quickly be on the wrong side of the score.

SH offense has been pretty balanced of late.  Our QB had a concussion against Maryville on the first drive of the game and a severe knee injury against Hardin Valley which limited him to throw only basically the rest of the regular season until the last game against DB.  The last two games combined he has thrown for 550 yards and rushed for 250 yards.  The running back has close to 300 yards rushing in those two games as well.  So as I said pretty balanced as they would want to be in the playoffs where teams that are one dimensional have trouble.

The defense is key, the front seven are strong but at times our defensive backs have let people slip behind them because they have eyes in the backfield and not on their man.  However they do come up and tackle well.   It should be a good battle on both sides of the ball as I have seen plenty of studs playing both sides for Smyrna.

The good news is we traveled down to play Siegal and Brentwood Academy the last two years so we have an idea of what middle TN football is all about and we know it will take our best effort.

I will correct one thing, you only pay $5 to park if you park in the wrestling teams fundraiser parking lot.    If you park behind the field house at Freedom Hall the parking is free and you enter through the gate in the end zone that does not have the scoreboard.  The choice is yours.

Hopefully you guys will bring a crowd and we will do the same.  Should be a good game.

Safe travels!

SH offense has been pretty balanced of late. Our QB had a concussion against Maryville on the first drive of the game and a severe knee injury against Hardin Valley which limited him to throw only basically the rest of the regular season until the last game against DB. The last two games combined he has thrown for 550 yards and rushed for 250 yards. The running back has close to 300 yards rushing in those two games as well. So as I said pretty balanced as they would want to be in the playoffs where teams that are one dimensional have trouble.

The defense is key, the front seven are strong but at times our defensive backs have let people slip behind them because they have eyes in the backfield and not on their man. However they do come up and tackle well. It should be a good battle on both sides of the ball as I have seen plenty of studs playing both sides for Smyrna.

The good news is we traveled down to play Siegal and Brentwood Academy the last two years so we have an idea of what middle TN football is all about and we know it will take our best effort.

I will correct one thing, you only pay $5 to park if you park in the wrestling teams fundraiser parking lot. If you park behind the field house at Freedom Hall the parking is free and you enter through the gate in the end zone that does not have the scoreboard. The choice is yours.

Hopefully you guys will bring a crowd and we will do the same. Should be a good game.

Safe travels!

Thanks for the info. I don't know what kind of crowd we will have. Last Friday night we didn't have a huge crowd. Weather played a part in that. However I have heard about someone getting charter buses reserved for parents and fans. So hopefully that means a big crowd.