Bradley Invitational teams

Da Bears

I agree with you that the top of D2 is better, in most years, than is the top of D1. That said, however, I take issue with you. Please define"schollys" as used in your post. Do you even know the TSSAA rules? If so, you wouldn't be tossing that word around, because it doesn't work the way you imply. D2 can give need-based financial aid only to help cover the cost of a private education. I said "help cover", because in no case does it cover the entire cost. How much do the Bradley students pay to attend their school? Less than those that attend FRHS, I assure you.

Ok.. Let me change that. Schollys as recruiting. They go after stars. You can't say that they don't. Most the kids gets a "full ride" to attend.

I know div 1 cost doesn't even come close to a 19,000$ cost to attend a private school. Recruiting is what makes div 2 better,

Ok.. Let me change that. Schollys as recruiting. They go after stars. You can't say that they don't. Most the kids gets a "full ride" to attend.

I know div 1 cost doesn't even come close to a 19,000$ cost to attend a private school. Recruiting is what makes div 2 better,

No one at Father Ryan gets a "full ride." As a parent who has put multiple kids through the school, I can assure you that the financial aid available is minimal at best. I know the middle school program has tried to bring in multiple kids but the cost of attendance was too great.

Being able to "go out and get" kids (as opposed to having to use the kids in your zone) is an advantage, but this is high school...no one (at Ryan at least) is giving or even offering full-ride scholarships to a 15 year old

No one at Father Ryan gets a "full ride." As a parent who has put multiple kids through the school, I can assure you that the financial aid available is minimal at best. I know the middle school program has tried to bring in multiple kids but the cost of attendance was too great.

Being able to "go out and get" kids (as opposed to having to use the kids in your zone) is an advantage, but this is high school...no one (at Ryan at least) is giving or even offering full-ride scholarships to a 15 year old

Still my point is and you just said it. Recruiting is an advantage. A major one at that. We all know a lot of kids does get free rides at most private schools. A lot of kids isn't wealthy like most thinks that attends privates. You still think a average class parent, can still afford 12,000$ on a 7,000$ scholly? I think not.

We here it multiple times here. "Wish bradley could have recruited my son" and Cleveland also.

Bradley and Cleveland may be the 2 best storied programs in the state of Tennessee.

Bradleys history and tradition along would easily get the best kids around the state or where ever if we could recruit. It just doesn't workout that way. Therefor, div 2 schools will always be on top for the most part.

Okay, I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to wade in here

First, I'm a public school product. WARNER ROBINS (GA) DEMONS, baby! Second, I was fortunate to secure a wonderful teaching/coaching position at a private school. Absolutely love it. I get to drive to work and home with my sons every day. I've taught both of them in the classroom, and I coach both of them in wrestling. Priceless.

Let me say, there are absolutely no athletic scholarships in D2 TSSAA sports. If a family qualifies for financial aid, they might receive it. A private school does not have to give them financial aid equivalent to what a family qualifies. And, the private school cannot give the family more financial aid than what they qualify. Period. So, if you see a good 9th grade wrestler at a private school, you can surmise one of two things:

(1) the family can afford full tuition

-or-

(2) the family has received financial aid at an equal or less than equal amount they qualified for through the financial aid process.

Financial aid goes through the same clearinghouse process as financial aid does for colleges. I'm unfamiliar with work-study financial aid programs that some private schools offer.

Are there any "smoke-and-mirror" antics that go on? Probably. People look for advantages, just like people look for advantages when they file their income taxes. That said, public schools have angles to work as well, like schools that offer specific programs, which can then be used as "official" reasons for school transfers between public schools.

If winning state wrestling championships was my sole concern, I'd much rather be coaching in the public schools where the number of students available for athletic participation almost ensures a sport team the availability of potential stars. A big "tip of the hat" to coaching staffs at schools like Bradley Central, Beech, Blackman, Brentwood, Cleveland, Hixson, Pigeon Forge, Red Bank, Soddy Daisy, Summit, Tennessee, Wilson Central, etc. who excel at encouraging their students to take the risk, as well as their year-round support of youth wrestling.

Bottom line, if parents want their sons or daughters attending a specific school, it's their choice. No matter whether it's going from public to private, public to public, or private to public. 

-TH

Edited by pantheon
  • Upvote 1

Okay, I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to wade in here

First, I'm a public school product. WARNER ROBINS (GA) DEMONS, baby! Second, I was fortunate to secure a wonderful teaching/coaching position at a private school. Absolutely love it. I get to drive to work and home with my sons every day. I've taught both of them in the classroom, and I coach both of them in wrestling. Priceless.

Let me say, there are absolutely no athletic scholarships in D2 TSSAA sports. If a family qualifies for financial aid, they might receive it. A private school does not have to give them financial aid equivalent to what a family qualifies. And, the private school cannot give the family more financial aid than what they qualify. Period. So, if you see a good 9th grade wrestler at a private school, you can surmise one of two things:

(1) the family can afford full tuition

-or-

(2) the family has received financial aid at an equal or less than equal amount they qualified for through the financial aid process.

Financial aid goes through the same clearinghouse process as financial aid does for colleges. I'm unfamiliar with work-study financial aid programs that some private schools offer.

Are there any "smoke-and-mirror" antics that go on? Probably. People look for advantages, just like people look for advantages when they file their income taxes. That said, public schools have angles to work as well, like schools that offer spcific programs, which can then be used as "official" reasons for school transfers between public schools.

If winning state wrestling championships was my sole concern, I'd much rather be coaching in the public schools where the number of students available for athletic participation almost ensures a sport team the availability of potential stars. A big "tip of the hat" to coaching staffs at such schools like Bradley Central, Beech, Blackman, Brentwood, Cleveland, Hixson, Pigeon Forge, Red Bank, Summit, Tennesee, Wilson Central, etc. who excel at encouraging their students to take the risk, as well as their year-round support of youth wrestling.

Bottom line, if parents want their sons or daughters attending a specific school, it's their choice. No matter whether it's going from public to private, public to public, or private to public.

-TH

Eh ok.. We was talking to a father outside during one the breaks yesterday. He was telling us that Baylor was trying to recruit his son pretty hard for golf. The dad at first said Baylor offered him the 7,000$ deal and they rejected it cause they couldn't afford the other 12,000$ or whatever.

That same season, the fathers son beat Baylor and their best golfer in a tourny. By several strokes. After that, the dad said it went from a 7,000$ scholly to a full ride free scholly. The dad rejected the offer after that. Made the family mad. More less a insult.

You're correct in a few things, but kids do get full rides in private schools. Not all, but the ones they really want that can't afford the rest of the tuition will get full rides if a private really wants that kid.

I could care less bout all this stuff. All we are saying is, schollys and recruiting is the only reason div 2 schools are somewhat better than div 1.

Eh ok.. We was talking to a father outside during one the breaks yesterday. He was telling us that Baylor was trying to recruit his son pretty hard for golf. The dad at first said Baylor offered him the 7,000$ deal and they rejected it cause they couldn't afford the other 12,000$ or whatever.

That same season, the fathers son beat Baylor and their best golfer in a tourny. By several strokes. After that, the dad said it went from a 7,000$ scholly to a full ride free scholly. The dad rejected the offer after that. Made the family mad. More less a insult.

You're correct in a few things, but kids do get full rides in private schools. Not all, but the ones they really want that can't afford the rest of the tuition will get full rides if a private really wants that kid.

I could care less bout all this stuff. All we are saying is, schollys and recruiting is the only reason div 2 schools are somewhat better than div 1.

In general, anything a parent says, especially a father, should be taken with a "grain of salt." We are all guilty of inflating the story. The words financial aid quickly become scholarship among family, friends, etc.

However that was communicated to the father, it's all based on what his family qualified for through the financial aid process. He completed financial aid forms and submitted those forms to the clearinghouse, and he identified which schools to release the results. The father knew exactly how much he qualified for through the process. If the school offered him 50% of the financial aid amount, he would have known. If so, I'm sure that angered him. One could easily become proudful at such moments. Who knows.

-TH

Edited by pantheon

what do we call it when an alumni of one of the private schools  pays for the exceptional athlete to attend the school for no out of pocket tuition?  not a "scholly" which I interpret  to mean scholarship and not financial aid, we call it full ride.

Well, by some it's called an "answered prayer" and rules be dam*ned. Not being flippant. There are beliefs that a young person's enrollment, in some schools, is a life-changing event. The belief is so great in the school's mission that no rules should ever be an obstacle to a young person's enrollment.

Depends really on the circumstance. That alumnus could be the kid's grandparent. If so, no one should take issue, IMHO. Or, that alumnus could be the employer of the kid's mother or father. If so, .... . I have no idea how the TSSAA rules pertain to it. If a boss says, "Hey, here's an extra $20K on your annual salary for X school's tuition," how would the TSSAA ever know? Or, that alumnus could be a known booster, which case, I'm pretty sure there are rules sgainst it. Has an alumnus ever covered the tuition for an exceptional student-athlete? I'd wager yes. People with that kind of money are well versed in ways to hide a transfer of funds from the TSSAA. Then, it becomes only rumor.

As for a more direct response to your post, if you had a wonderful, life-changing experience at X private school and you met a young person who you felt would benefit from and /or be an asset to the school you attended, and you had the financial ability to send that young person to your school, why should there be a rule to prevent it? The only answer for such a rule is because there are adults who want to win more than they want others to have the freedom/right to choose.

My stance is for parental rights to choose (public over public, private over public, or public over private) where their children attend school. It's ludicrous that families in America today are bound to a certain school district simply because that may be the only district they can afford to live in. Medieval really. 

-TH

Edited by pantheon

I could care less where someone goes to school, I am happy that they may get the opportunity to attend a private school.  It has nothing to do with the kid and everything to do with the coach.  If it is about education, then who care about the extracurricular events like sports. 

My only point is that is happens, that is all.   

what do we call it when an alumni of one of the private schools  pays for the exceptional athlete to attend the school for no out of pocket tuition?  not a "scholly" which I interpret  to mean scholarship and not financial aid, we call it full ride.

There is a definitive answer to your question - we would all benefit if people bothered to look up the rules before posting about something they know nothing about.  The following is directly from the TSSAA rulebook. In your scenario (the "full ride"), if the payor is other than a parent, bona fide guardian or family member, the school has cheated and is subject to disciplinary action.  Unless DaChampsAgain (and/or his unnamed "father" acquaintance) was flat-out lying, then Baylor was in clear violation of the rules.  If so, they need to report this to TSSAA.  More likely, this is just BS born of jealousy.  Baylor and all of the other D2 schools are about far more than athletics.  They are, among other things, about helping kids evolve into productive members of society and are also about furthering that goal by helping kids get accepted into schools like Harvard, Princeton, etc.  If you think that Baylor is going to risk the reputation that it has painstakingly built up over decades in order to land this "hot golfer", then I suggest that you are kidding yourself.  Better yet, take a look at the list of those schools that the TSSAA has caught cheating in recent years; they are almost all Division 1 schools.

Tuition and Financial Aid

Section 16. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member. If a parent, guardian or other family member secures a loan for payment of tuition, it must remain an

obligation of the parents, guardian or other family member to repay the principle and interest in full with no exceptions. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is

established and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid. Financial aid will be allowed under the following conditions:

1. Children of full-time faculty members may be given financial aid, but such students, if transfers, shall be ineligible for 12 months in any sport in which they have an athletic record for the previous

or current year.

2. Financial aid may be awarded on the basis of need, but proof of such need must be filed in the TSSAA office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for need, all schools awarding financial aid shall use one of the following services in order to determine the basis for need: FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment (FACTS), Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST), School and Student Scholastic Service for Financial Aid (SSS), Family Financial Needs Assessment (FFNA), Private School Aid Services, or Smart Tuition Aid. Schools must choose one of the companies for all student-athletes. A committee consisting of School Heads from Division II schools and one ex-officio, non-voting member from the Board of Control and Legislative Council will meet and make recommendations to the Board of Control on each student submitted. In addition, this committee will collect information from schools regarding financial aid statistics, grant procedures, and the overall financial aid program within the school. The Board of Control will then rule on all cases at the August meeting. The Board of Control shall have authority to reject the basis of need for students when in its opinion, or in the opinion of the school committee, the amount of need stated by the financial service cannot be justified. Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days overdue. All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request. Each school shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or audit such

records.

Edited by RedRobin1
  • Upvote 1