Tri-County Seven 1-1-16

etownsparky

1. Elizabethton (14-0) – Betsy won the Doc Maples in Bristol the week before Christmas and then won the Island division at the Carolina Invitational in Charleston, SC this week.
  2. Hampton (7-6) - Have beaten Happy Valley, Johnson County, Unicoi, and Chuckey-Doak.  Have quality losses to South Greene, Greeneville, and Gate City.
  3. Happy Valley (13-4) - Beat Cloudland and are now 2-1 against Unaka. Won the consolation game in the Heritage Christmas Tournament in Maryville before Christmas and took top prize in the Honda Classic at Boone this week.
  4. Unaka (11-6) – Are 1-2 against Happy Valley now.  Made the Honda Classic final including a win over Unicoi. Have an impressive win over Chuckey-Doak.
  5. Unicoi County (5-12) - Have played a fairly tough schedule so far, but have dropped 7 of the last 8.
  6. Cloudland (7-8) - Beat Johnson County, but lost to Happy Valley and Unicoi. Had a tough week in Harriman this week.
  7. Johnson County (2-10) – The Lady Longhorns have lost nine straight.

The Lady Cyclones continue to be the top team in Region 1. Hampton is holding down the second spot because of the head-to-head win over HV. Happy Valley has secured the third spot with a second win over Unaka and an impressive showing in two holiday tournaments.  Unicoi is suffering through a rough patch, but is a spot above Cloudland because of the head-to-head win. Cloudland continues to hover around the .500 mark after a tough week against District 3 competition. Johnson County continues to struggle.

Please reply with your comments, recommendations, and/or criticisms. 

Edited by etownsparky

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put HV ahead of Hampton. I know Hampton won head to head a month ago, but HV's win over Boone bumps then ahead in my mind.

I understand the sentiment and I did consider this when doing the ranking, but it's tough to justify when there is a head-to-head result. Regardless, these teams will play again so that should help settle it then. 

The Hampton Lady Dogs surprised Grainger County at Grainger tonight in double OT, 47-46!

Great win for the Lady Dawgs. I think Hampton is better than their record reflects. Likewise, I don't think Grainger is as good as their record (or ranking) might suggest. Greeneville was somehow overlooked in the AP poll. I expect Greeneville to handle Grainger in D2AA.