District and Regional Duals

wrestlingdad64

Since when is it be ok for two coaches in the same district to decide by a coin flip rather then wrestling each other, the winner of said coin flip getting to choose who they would wrestle in the regional duals?  BTW, both teams that decided not to wrestle for a district champion received an extra pound the next day for the region tournament. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when is it be ok for two coaches in the same district to decide by a coin flip rather then wrestling each other, the winner of said coin flip getting to choose who they would wrestle in the regional duals?  BTW, both teams that decided not to wrestle for a district champion received an extra pound the next day for the region tournament. 

I guess they wanted to focus on the bigger prize.

What message is being sent to the young men?

I don' know, prioritize maybe ?

Maybe they wanted time heal, rest, who knows.

I blame the weight cert and descend plan for a lot of this type stuff, guy misses weight or intentionally bumps up a class and it screws him up for the next date. 

To the casual wrestling fan a dual match between two teams is excellent.  They only take 1.5-2.0 hours and it's fun to watch two teams compete.  Studies show that one of the major issues with wrestling is schools wrestling more tournaments than dual matches.  IMO, all schools in each region should be required to wrestle each other in a dual match and those results would count as to what teams go to the state duals.

I was merely trying to point out that one district went to combat and won their district outright, while the other decided their outcome by a coin toss. The effected team was the won who won their district by combat. The other just happened to favor the weakest team in their district. Coincidentally they got to advance because they faced the weakest team in the team that won districts fairly. My question is this fair play? No other sport I know of decides playoffs this way.

I was merely trying to point out that one district went to combat and won their district outright, while the other decided their outcome by a coin toss. The effected team was the won who won their district by combat. The other just happened to favor the weakest team in their district. Coincidentally they got to advance because they faced the weakest team in the team that won districts fairly. My question is this fair play? No other sport I know of decides playoffs this way.

If you're talking bout Bradley and Soddy, which I think you are. This district has been doing this for years. Last year they did actually have a region championship game due to te cause neither Bradley or Cleveland didn't really wanna be on Wilson Central side of the bracket and which this case, Cleveland was smart by doing those cause Wilson Central did beat us in the semi finals to go on to wrestle in the finals against Cleveland.

But to answer your question, they're no answers why this district doesn't wrestle for the dual. It has always been this way for the most part

I am sure you are speaking of Region II. Gibbs and Halls were snowed out of our district match. We agreed to flip a coin to decide who would be the one seed and who would be the two. I am really not sure what this is about considering Halls defeated HVA 56-12 and Bearden 47-21 in the regular season. Halls and Gibbs both beat the two top teams in district 4. How can you honestly say this was unfair?

Things have changed since that first meeting between Halls and HVA. Point is Halls should have wrestled Gibbs to determine a district champion.  If that would have happened a different result would have happened.  This happen during a season... Injuries, discipline and wrestlers get better.  Wrestlers wrestle off often because things happen during a season.  A coin flip is a cowards way of getting out of what wrestling is all about.

You will have another shot at us at the individual region tournament. I am glad that your team is much improved. We welcome the competition. It makes our region stronger and more competitive. Not sure about the coward comment. We have always wrestled as much tough competition as possible. This conversation is over. I need to prepare my kids for the state duals. If you would like to further discuss this, give me a call.

Shannon Sayne

Halls WRESTLING

865-659-1538