6AAA 2016

smpanthers

First of all, I don't have an issue with saying when I am wrong - I just don't believe in this case that I am, but........

I try to look at the whole picture when I comment - Cookeville is the complete total best team in our District - They are coached very good and always compete.  Now, do they have a bad game, of course, but their coach has them doing the little things to win game. 

I believe Warren County is the second best team looking at their team during the first and second half of the season, but, for some reason, the tournament team has not been the same.  Players missing or whatever, not the same.  The talent level on this team is amazing, but not producing in the tournament.

Rhea County should be the best overall team, but again, for some reason, whether it is playing out of position or team chemistry or whatever they are not showing their true abilities.  But between Rhea and Warren, I believe Warren has the best athletes, but not getting the production out of them at crunch time.  They had Cookeville beat, but didn't finish it.  

I know these are teenagers, but I come from a District where the same age, teenagers, play consistently during the season and even step their game up in tournament time, so why can't these teens do the same?  Is it the competition - probably, or is it some of them feel entitled to be on a team because of their parents or their status in school or because they are seniors in school, as I know some do.  They have not been made to "up" their game so they don't care, come tournament time or even game time.  

I was at a game this year and witnessed one of the coaches on the field turn to the fans and bless them out because they yelled for a player to run from third base to home after she stood on the base and watched a ball hit to deep right field.  She didn't tag, she didn't do anything, just stood there on the bag.  The coach went ballistic to the fans and made a complete backend of a donkey out of himself.  The same kid allowed two balls to drop in her glove and beside her in the outfield with nothing said to her, but the coach had no problem telling the fans to shut up.  This type of base running was done in the game three times and no she didn't score.  I don't know how teams in this district can attempt to get better with this type of "not teaching the basic fundamentals" of the game.  Stone coaches are very good with fundamentals - those kids are the the most athletic, but the coaches know how to coach a team.  Cumberland coaches are ok, White Co coaches do not teach the little things to win, Warren and Cookeville are very good coaches and Rhea coaches know the game, but struggle with small things. 

This District has to step up, has to coach the small things, or we will just make it to the Region and come on home after we show up, because we can not compete with the in our Region let along other Regions who are even stronger.   

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure not everyone will agree but that's ok. I think the district this year looked better than last year. This being my 6th straight year with a daughter in the district I can say that the top 3 teams were competitive and equal in a lot of ways. The championship tonight came down to a Cookeville senior hitting a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 8th. That being said. That is the closest championship game this district has had the last 6 years. Good luck to all of the teams in this district in a the future and especially to Rhea county in the Regionals against Ootewah. After reading all the back and fourth on here about talent, teamwork , coaching and all the what ifs and predictions I have some advice for those making statements behind blind usernames. If you don't like how it is pick up a glove, a tee, a ball and a clip board and be part of the solution. If not just be a fan and remember the worst player in this district has put in a lot more work at this than you!

Rusty Price

Yes, the game tonight was a great game! Rhea Co put up a huge fight to get the trophy, but Cookevilles experience was just too much!

Now, coach rusty, I appreciate your advice, but before you give it, know what you are talking about - I do pick up a glove and a softball and I work with softball players six days a week. Having worked with college players for 18 years, I feel like I have paid my dues to talk about a kid who does not hustle, try to get better, and has a pathetic attitude. And, if those kids worked as hard as me on this incredible game, then they would be better than they are and bringing in awards that they would deserve. As far as hiding behind a screen name, I don't hide, but I will not be ostracized for stating facts and making observations.

If you have that much experience and expertise then answer me this. Why aren't you doing something to fix it. A good coach can motivate or evacuate a bad attitude. A good coach teaches everyone around him that the small group that complains are the losers the big group that sticks together and helps are the champions of this sport. Your idle critizing does absolutely nothing to help this district. If it is that bad then we'll you know we're the door is!

Coach rusty let me say this I work with any girl on our team that wants extra work. I'm not a coach on the hs staff at our school but I put in extra time with my daughter and I invite any other girl that wants to get better. I also coach a 18u team. I love all the girls but the truth is the truth and sometimes ppl can't handle that. I think softballtheonlygame jus tells it like it is. I will agree with u I think the top three are competitive warren jus comes up short and I think it's got to do with lack of love a desire of the game from a few. I don't hide behind anything i made my user name a long time ago and to be honest I wod change to my full name but don't know how. Sayin all that I'll say this congrats to Cookeville and Rhea county and good luck. Thanks Ryan Tackett

I know you pretty well Ryan and have always thought of you as a straight up guy and a good coach. You went through tough times at Warren and voiced your opinion and I respected that you always used your name. My point is that if you are going to be critical of others and have such a varied opinion as "softballtheonlygame" has then please have enough conviction of your own beliefs to use your name. It is almost comical at times that such an opinion is hung on a faceless name tag. Just can't respect that! 

Glad there are some emotions running high on this topic.  

First of all, I have the right to say whatever I feel, what my opinions are and if you, coach rusty do not agree, then so be it.  I don't fit my opinions to agree with someone just because of who they are, they are my opinions, some are right and some are wrong, but they are mine. 

The point of showing our name is only because of wanting to dominate someone - I have not tried to dominate you or your opinions and really could care less what your name is.  Do I appreciate you showing your name - NO, really I could care less who you are.  Should it matter who is saying the comments, no.  But to try and BULLY me into telling my name - I stand up to Bullies, I do not give into them and, to me, you are a Bully trying me into giving into you.  And whether you respect me or not has no meaning to me, coach rusty.  I don't respect someone who tries to dominate and bully me, either.  Most people know who I am and those are all that matters. 

This is NOT about you, this is about the kids are are not being made to step up their game.  Who are NOT being taught the right things to become adults and appreciate hard work.  

I was out this weekend with a group of teenagers who gave up their Saturday to practice 6 hours for a game they love.  They did not moan and groan for getting up on a Saturday morning and getting to practice at 9:00.  They worked hard and everyone one of those teenagers hustled and talked and worked together.  They ran on the field and ran off the field.  They backed each other and they acted like champions.  The parents kept their mouths closed because it was not about them, but about the teens and their team.  What a great environment to be in. 

Back to high school softball - some of the coaches allow their players to be completely grumped up and allow them to walk on the field and off the field.  They allow the players to make 6-8 errors a game and never take them out or MAKE them do better.  They give awards to the player who are lazy and do not care about getting better.  This generation of some coaches are awful because they play a senior because she is a senior and not the best player.  

I talked to my cousin, who had a kid playing softball in this district.  This is just one example of how coaches play in to their seniors:  The team had their banquet and was to give out awards.  First of all, the All-District awards - ALL DISTRICT REGULAR SEASON went to the kids who were voted on by the coaches of the District - They were not seniors.  Then the coaches gave their awards to the team - the MVP and the BEST DEFENSIVE were "handed" to seniors who did nothing over the coarse of the year.  One of the ones got the award after making error after error after error in their one of three positions.  The other did the same and had horrible lazy attitude all year, but they were seniors. The All District winners did not receive an award from their coach, but were the best players on their team during the regular season according to the coaches from around the District.  So, the coaches gave in to the parents who had bashed them all year, giving their awards, who are now meaningless to further players.  Just a crock. 

Believe me, those who know me, know I help the players become better adults in everything I expect.  I expect hard work, I expect them to be respectful, I expect them to play smart and they better be ready to play.  So, I am out doing my part, I am out trying to help these teens become better players, I am out teaching them the rules of the game and every instance I can will help teach them how the things they learn in the game of softball roll over into life and can be used everyday. 

So, I will continue to voice my opinion and hope one day, there will be enough emotion from some of these coaches to question our opinions to make changes to the way they do their jobs. 

Edited by softballtheonlygame

Look if you truly feel as if you are being bullied I apoligize that was never and never will be the intent. My point is you want to anonymously call out  teams coaches and even girls as if they don't read your posts. You say you are here to help???? to speak the ugly truth, for the love of true fastpitch .Who are you trying to help.Where is that love of the sport for this district?They don't even know who you are? I have read your posts and even recently reread your posts dating back to April 2014. Most of those haven't been in anyway offensive but some were.The point is since in 2014 when you started posting this (ON THE 6AAA TOPIC) what have you done to help these girls! I am gone soon from this district and alot of these girls that I coached will be too, If you truly love this game and your daughter is still going to be here then please next year come out of the shadows and do something to help them! BTW this is never going to have the same mentality as travel ball but of course I think you already know this. 

Edited by COACHRUSTY