Moving to Division II

boxer822

I'm a delicate soul. Please handle with care. :) Your Top 10 for DII A next year? I content this division will be horrible once you get past 1-3.

Absent NCS, my top four are DCA, Friendship, Davidson and Middle Tennessee Christian.  The drop off after that appears to be pretty steep, but at least those four should all have a fair shot at bringing home a trophy in any particular year.  As I said previously, that's a whole lot more interesting, in my opinion, than betting on whether Webb will win the championship game by more or less than 3 touchdowns.  Hopefully, without a bully like Webb in the division, some of the other small schools will be able to get their programs moving forward and become competitive as well.  Part of my point is that the schools which will be left in D2-A are all much more similar to each other than any of them is to Webb, especially if NCS moves up.  Much better situation for all involved at that level.  I don't see that as a bad thing, regardless of whether you want to call it a "rec league".

Edited by RedRobin1

NCS is supposedly playing up in AA. Funds is not the issue for BA or Ensworth. What I hear is all about scheduling. We shall see. Easy with the tone there RedRobin1. These are merely opinions for most of us based on what we hear. Not many of us are sitting in meeting rooms with AD's and coaches. Please give me your top 10 pre-season poll for DII A next year. DII A will be the equivalent of a glorified rec league moving forward.

DCA will be very good next year. Two freshmen tailbacks will be ready to take over. One is a track star and the backup to Walker. The freshman class is deep and talented asis the Jr class. You were misinformed.

CFAfan 

Here are your words on a different thread about Father Ryan:

"Whats the story here? This seemed like an odd move to me. Did FR step up big and pay? Does that mean they will put the $$ and resources necessary into the program to get kids in who can compete with the big boys? This is a 2 step process: 1) pay for the coach 2) allocate necessary resources to put tools in the box"

Your words are the reason many of the D1 privates and even the D2 middle level schools have no desire to compete with the powers in D2.  They either don't have the mechanism in place or have no desire to have a mechanism in place to "get the kids who can compete with the big boys" (you own words, not mine).  It will either take a drastic change in the financial priorities and mindset for these schools to compete at that level or they will have to be satisfied with being cellar dwellers.

That is the bottom line in why some of these schools stayed in D1 and had to be enticed with an enrollment number to move over to D2.  The Nashville Scene ran an article several years ago comparing what is happening at the big schools to a nuclear arms race.  When one school builds something in Nashville, the others feel the need to one up them.  Some schools don't have the endowment, deep enough pockets or the desire to enter that arena.

D2-A as comprised in the past several years not been very interesting, with Webb (a school which has much more in common with the larger schools than with the smaller schools) totally dominating football since they were allowed to "move down"..  If, as you seem to think will happen, NCS moves up, at least there will be several teams left in the small school division that will be capable of winning the championship every year. To me, that is much more interesting than seeing the same school dominate, even in "down" years.

Webb was allowed to move down?.......u mean that was was against the rules for Webb to b playin in the present D2-A 

thats just aweful and very unfair

Booger just sayin  :twisted:

Webb was allowed to move down?.......u mean that was was against the rules for Webb to b playin in the present D2-A 

thats just aweful and very unfair

Booger just sayin  :twisted:

Didn't say it was against the rules, Booger - that's why I used quotation marks when I said they "moved down".  They were certainly within their rights to do so, but any objective observer would agree that it created a very unbalanced situation in D2-A football.  

Didn't say it was against the rules, Booger - that's why I used quotation marks when I said they "moved down".  They were certainly within their rights to do so, but any objective observer would agree that it created a very unbalanced situation in D2-A football.  

it want matter now.....the soup just got thicker

Booger just sayin  :thumb:

CFAfan 

Here are your words on a different thread about Father Ryan:

"Whats the story here? This seemed like an odd move to me. Did FR step up big and pay? Does that mean they will put the $$ and resources necessary into the program to get kids in who can compete with the big boys? This is a 2 step process: 1) pay for the coach 2) allocate necessary resources to put tools in the box"

Your words are the reason many of the D1 privates and even the D2 middle level schools have no desire to compete with the powers in D2.  They either don't have the mechanism in place or have no desire to have a mechanism in place to "get the kids who can compete with the big boys" (you own words, not mine).  It will either take a drastic change in the financial priorities and mindset for these schools to compete at that level or they will have to be satisfied with being cellar dwellers.

That is the bottom line in why some of these schools stayed in D1 and had to be enticed with an enrollment number to move over to D2.  The Nashville Scene ran an article several years ago comparing what is happening at the big schools to a nuclear arms race.  When one school builds something in Nashville, the others feel the need to one up them.  Some schools don't have the endowment, deep enough pockets or the desire to enter that arena.

This has nothing to do with my post regarding Coach Rector. FR does have the pockets and endowment necessary to compete with the larger privates. My ask was if they are planning to do so. I am assuming they are. I agree with your point above. Many, if not most, privates operate in DI or DII without recruiting or providing aid at all. The only separation, IMO, are the boundaries as privates may draw from anywhere. Parents who choose the private route do pay a price in the event of a transfer where it is much easier for public kids to move from school to school. A player moving from private to private or private to public will have a tough time getting eligible without sitting.

I think the misconceptions regarding privates are pretty grand. Many people have a vision of Coach Bowers sitting in a living room somewhere pitching Ensworth and 100% aid available. I'm not sure that's quite how it works. Just my opinion. I am neither a coach nor an admin at a public or private institution.