Moving to Division II

boxer822

I think it funny that I see so many post and complaints about Lipscomb playing D2 AA instead of AAA. There been a lot of people in the past calling small schools calling them whiners for complaining about Knox Web playing in D2 A with a enrollment one student under the cut off..

I think it funny that I see so many post and complaints about Lipscomb playing D2 AA instead of AAA. There been a lot of people in the past calling small schools calling them whiners for complaining about Knox Web playing in D2 A with a enrollment one student under the cut off..

I'm not complaining about Lipscomb playing in D2-AA or Webb or any other school.  I'm complaining about the appearance of manipulation.  It's like a legislator who was elected to represent his/her constituents and advocates and ultimately votes for legislation which helps him/her personally while abrogating his duty for the constituency as a whole. It's crony, it's self-serving and it's wrong and until this country starts doing things with integrity instead of what's in it for me, we will see more of the same.  Again, I say the appearance as I don't have first hand knowledge, but the coach of BA seems to as outlined in that article I referenced.

I definitely get that. While I think Webb is better suited for AA I am willing to admit it would be better for D2 overall if it was split a little more evenly. If Knox Catholic came over it would have helped as well.

I am asking this without looking at all the numbers so it may be a bad question to begin with....Would Knox Catholic have switched to D2 if the split was equal thirds(or closer to it)?

I am asking this without looking at all the numbers so it may be a bad question to begin with....Would Knox Catholic have switched to D2 if the split was equal thirds(or closer to it)?

I doubt it. Catholic is well above the cutoff. They would have definitely been in AAA. Split evenly or not.

If the argument is travel then maybe. They would have still been in AAA.

Edited by Spartan4Life

I'm not complaining about Lipscomb playing in D2-AA or Webb or any other school. I'm complaining about the appearance of manipulation. It's like a legislator who was elected to represent his/her constituents and advocates and ultimately votes for legislation which helps him/her personally while abrogating his duty for the constituency as a whole. It's crony, it's self-serving and it's wrong and until this country starts doing things with integrity instead of what's in it for me, we will see more of the same. Again, I say the appearance as I don't have first hand knowledge, but the coach of BA seems to as outlined in that article I referenced.

Understood and agree with a lot of your points...however if the privates would have split into three even divisions, keep in mind that is BEFORE the schools declared. Knox catholic chose to remain in D1, Lipscomb most likely would have stayed in D1...not sure about CPA. It would have forced Ensworth and BA to play up so it would have ended exactly like it is right now...with the possible exception of BA and Ensworth. Everyone is assuming that if the equal split proposal was approved, all schools would have moved...simply not true

Understood and agree with a lot of your points...however if the privates would have split into three even divisions, keep in mind that is BEFORE the schools declared. Knox catholic chose to remain in D1, Lipscomb most likely would have stayed in D1...not sure about CPA. It would have forced Ensworth and BA to play up so it would have ended exactly like it is right now...with the possible exception of BA and Ensworth. Everyone is assuming that if the equal split proposal was approved, all schools would have moved...simply not true

I hear what you're saying and understand, but until TSSAA says all private schools no matter what have to play in D2, the same enrollment/classification enticement will be used every 4 years; otherwise, schools such as Lipscomb can just jump back to D1 when it's in their best interest to do so?  I guess an argument can be made, well after 4 years rivalries are made and schedules are such teams will be more inclined to stay D2 than switch back and at that time we can do the 1/3 split deal, but I find that a weak position relative to what the committees (two) originally recommended and the Bd of Control did not accept.  Just kind of a bad taste right out of the get go, you know?

I hear what you're saying and understand, but until TSSAA says all private schools no matter what have to play in D2, the same enrollment/classification enticement will be used every 4 years; otherwise, schools such as Lipscomb can just jump back to D1 when it's in their best interest to do so? I guess an argument can be made, well after 4 years rivalries are made and schedules are such teams will be more inclined to stay D2 than switch back and at that time we can do the 1/3 split deal, but I find that a weak position relative to what the committees (two) originally recommended and the Bd of Control did not accept. Just kind of a bad taste right out of the get go, you know?

Yep...I hear ya

I doubt ensworth it BA would stop playing MBA in all sports if they decide to stay where they are classified:

It would not carry the weight it does now - -and btw I think ensworth has the best shot at beating MBA this year -

Don't know who makes the ultimate decision at BA, but at Ensworth, the decision is wholly dependent on a vote by the students. Since they consider MBA to be their main rival (and, to a lesser extent, BA, Baylor and McCallie) in all sports, I can't see the students voting any way other than to move up. Ensworth has played against the large D2 schools since its inception (as the result of a prior student vote when the high school was brand new) , so they really have not had the opportunity to build up any other meaningful multi-sport rivalries.

I doubt ensworth it BA would stop playing MBA in all sports if they decide to stay where they are classified:

It would not carry the weight it does now - -and btw I think ensworth has the best shot at beating MBA this year -

Wouldn't be the same though if it didn't count.  I am not a student (unfortunately), so I don't know how the vote will turn out, but as I said before, I will be absolutely shocked if the Tigers don't play up next year.  As for this year, I am hoping for a good game.  It should be, as always, an awesome atmosphere and a lot of fun, regardless of the outcome.