Why are referees not evaluated?

johnnyjumpshot

The #1 biggest problem the TSSAA has with the referees is that there just isn't enough people willing to do the job.  So people that have no business being in a game end up getting a game because there's no one else.  To quote Roy Dillard, you think I'm joking but I'm not.

No amount of griping will help or fix this situation.

• Upvote 1

The #1 biggest problem the TSSAA has with the referees is that there just isn't enough people willing to do the job. So people that have no business being in a game end up getting a game because there's no one else. To quote Roy Dillard, you think I'm joking but I'm not.

No amount of griping will help or fix this situation.

Boom. Hit the nail on the head. The fact of the matter is that if everyone who gets one here complaining about officials would get out of their computer chairs and go sign up to be a TSSAA official, they would realize:

1. It is much more difficult than they realize.

2. They really don't have much of a grasp or knowledge of the rules of the game.

Of course they aren't. Coaches and schools aren't objective. That's like having the inmates evaluate the correctional officers.

Completely disagree with that analogy.  If both coaches had an opportunity to rate officials after each game based on a set criteria, it would be a great tool for the state to use to improve the system.  It could be as simple as establishing a rating system.  Highest rated officials get higher pay.  It would create incentives to be your best.  It wouldn't be that hard either.  All you have to do is set up a page on the TSSAA website and give all the coaches a login and make official rating from each game mandatory. However,  I do believe referees do the best job they can.  It's a thankless job.

Edited by coachinhoops

Completely disagree with that analogy. If both coaches had an opportunity to rate officials after each game based on a set criteria, it would be a great tool for the state to use to improve the system. It could be as simple as establishing a rating system. Highest rated officials get higher pay. It would create incentives to be your best. It wouldn't be that hard either. All you have to do is set up a page on the TSSAA website and give all the coaches a login and make official rating from each game mandatory. However, I do believe referees do the best job they can. It's a thankless job.

yes, and the pay isn't what you would call GREAT. I think for a regular season high school double header it's just, like 90 bucks.

Of course they aren't. Coaches and schools aren't objective. That's like having the inmates evaluate the correctional officers.

Judging by the results of the Williamson County school superintendent making all officials who call games at  Williamson County schools submit to  criminal background checks, i would say many inmates (former/future) are the ones calling the games.

Completely disagree with that analogy.  If both coaches had an opportunity to rate officials after each game based on a set criteria, it would be a great tool for the state to use to improve the system.  It could be as simple as establishing a rating system.  Highest rated officials get higher pay.  It would create incentives to be your best.  It wouldn't be that hard either.  All you have to do is set up a page on the TSSAA website and give all the coaches a login and make official rating from each game mandatory. However,  I do believe referees do the best job they can.  It's a thankless job.

I definitely wouldn't want the job.  I do believe, however, there can be bias.  I have seen some crazy calls that make no sense whatsoever over the years, and I have seen referees actually go sit in stands with parents of winning teams after a controversial game to where I know they have a relationship.  It wasn't one that I had a team I pulled for in, but knew the kids and parents, so I knew what was going on.  All I want in any game is for it to be called fair and consistent as it should always be.  The kids deserve it and a referee should never decide outcomes of games by making ridiculous calls.  I say let the coaches and ADs evaluate refs on their skill, knowledge and being fair.  Not all refs are bad, and most are great and love the game and being around the kids.  Some, though make games hard to swallow.

The TSSAA used to evaluate during the year. Usually at tourneys before season and the once. And I think you used to be able to ask for an evaluation. Things have changed over 40 years. What I never understood is how they could allow a former athlete of a school who now teaches at the same school to assign games I. That schools district. And with more than one ref also a former student of that school.