Has there ever been an OW who was not champion ?

maj

This discussion does bring up an interesting point... a few people have been critical of the official for the call in that match.

I will say that I saw video of the sequence in question.  Most people that know me know that I like good hard wrestling, however there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an illegal move should have been called on that sequence.  It was absolutely a slam.  The official did absolutely what they should have done there.

The rest of the sequence... well I think most folks already have their opinion made up on that one.  I wasn't one of the parties involved and therefore in theory don't know everything... so my opinion really doesn't matter.  I doubt the state would be so up-at-arms had the entire sequence happened but a non-heavily favored wrestler been involved.

I suspect you are correct, if it had been a couple of low seed wrestlers, no one would care or remember. I was really more interested in the original question about whether there had been a OW who was not a champion. I was not really concerned about the DQ this year.  I first thought of the possibilities of a non champ OW years ago when I watched a wrestler named Patton lose a close match to the # 1 Croy in the quarters ( crap like this happens when we don't seed ). Patton then DISMANTLED the consolation bracket pinning 2 or 3 of the state's top 5 wrestlers on his way to 3rd. There was no question he was easily the 2nd best in the weight class and maybe the best. He didn't take first but he clearly wrestled the best, in my opinion, far better than the champ in his weight class ( croy ) and all the other upper weights in the tournament too.

Edited by maj

I suspect you are correct, if it had been a couple of low seed wrestlers, no one would care or remember. I was really more interested in the original question about whether there had been a OW who was not a champion. I was not really concerned about the DQ this year.  I first thought of the possibilities of a non champ OW years ago when I watched a wrestler named Patton lose a close match to the # 1 Croy in the quarters ( crap like this happens when we don't seed ). Patton then DISMANTLED the consolation bracket pinning 2 or 3 of the state's top 5 wrestlers on his way to 3rd. There was no question he was easily the 2nd best in the weight class and maybe the best. He didn't take first but he clearly wrestled the best, in my opinion, far better than the champ in his weight class ( croy ) and all the other upper weights in the tournament too.

Maj,

I think you are right on the low seed issue.

I doubt you would ever see a situation where a non-champ won the award but if it were to conceivably happen the situation this year is probably your best hypothetical shot.  Personally, I think you can't take away the award from one of the other champs who did earn it at that tournament.

I remember the exact bracket you are talking about... no chance that type of scenario happens.  Even if you did think Patton was the most impressive in the tournament... he lost fair and square.  

• Upvote 1