EHS Girls Basketball placed on TSSAA probation

dawgpound69

No one has said they didnt do anything wrong, not once has that been stated. You said they should have been punished more because of what could have happened but never did. If what you through out there as a scenario actually happened I'm sure the punishment would have been alot worse. That's the same thing as throwing on extra charges of what could have happened but not what actually did happen. Different rules and different crimes have different punishments am I correct? In the eyes of the tssaa letting an 8th grader practice for a little bit when she hasn't decided were she was going to high school at isn't near as bad as a whole team throwing a game to stay away from another team and making national news. Sorta the same way as a speeding ticket is breaking the law and there are punishment for for that, but not the same punishment as murder. Both are still breaking the law just different punishments. It's really not that hard to grasp.....

I'm sorry my opinion offends you. Just stating what that simply is....an opinion. Furthermore, your equating this to a crime, I am not. The scenario I did THROW out could and possibly would have happened in my opinion, if this was not dealt with. I do not like cheating.

Coaches know the rules....when they break the rules to get a competitive advantage guess what that is called???....CHEATING

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even a Elizabethton fan actually a rival school. I never said no one would care but you can't charge someone with something that didnt happen. The guy was speculating saying IF she would have came and played. (which didn't happen). So by his logic and your logic it seems all crimes or cheating should be treated equal. Speeding is breaking a law but the consequences arent the same as murder. The coach got caught and being punished. I just don't see how you can give a punishment to the girls on the team if they had no clue what was going on unlike the Riverdale situation last year.

Here (in red) is where our difference of opinion is. It did happen. ​Logic says that whether successful or not his actions were the same...his intent was to circumvent the rules in order to persuade a prospective player to come to his school, and according to TSSAA's rules that is cheating. For you to differentiate between whether it "worked" or not, and to compare speeding to murder is ridiculous. Defend him all you'd like as that's your prerogative, just be prepared for a difference of opinion when your argument is as obviously lame as debating results and not the intent of his actions.

Here (in red) is where our difference of opinion is. It did happen. ​Logic says that whether successful or not his actions were the same...his intent was to circumvent the rules in order to persuade a prospective player to come to his school, and according to TSSAA's rules that is cheating. For you to differentiate between whether it "worked" or not, and to compare speeding to murder is ridiculous. Defend him all you'd like as that's your prerogative, just be prepared for a difference of opinion when your argument is as obviously lame as debating results and not the intent of his actions.

Also, read my earlier post...I don't like the idea of punishing the team if they did no wrong, but drop the hammer on the coach...he knew the rules...he broke the rules...he should be punished.

I'm sorry my opinion offends you. Just stating what that simply is....an opinion. Furthermore, your equating this to a crime, I am not. The scenario I did THROW out could and possibly would have happened in my opinion, if this was not dealt with. I do not like cheating.

Coaches know the rules....when they break the rules to get a competitive advantage guess what that is called???....CHEATING

Your opinion of them not being punished enough was not what offended me. The reason why you thought they should have been punished more was the ignorant comment. I'm equating it to a real life situation that is very possible were rules for the tssaa and laws for the government are treated equal to show how unlogical your reasoning was. You would punish them for what could have been not what actually was. That is not how how any organization works or thinks not the TSSAA, NCAA, NIA, Government, etc.

I also dont like a cheater, but it doesn't mean they should be punished more for what could have happened and not what actually happened when the probation was given out. The TSSAA handed down their fines and probation so move on

Here (in red) is where our difference of opinion is. It did happen. ​Logic says that whether successful or not his actions were the same...his intent was to circumvent the rules in order to persuade a prospective player to come to his school, and according to TSSAA's rules that is cheating. For you to differentiate between whether it "worked" or not, and to compare speeding to murder is ridiculous. Defend him all you'd like as that's your prerogative, just be prepared for a difference of opinion when your argument is as obviously lame as debating results and not the intent of his actions.

The statement that wbryguy stated " But, if the coach got away with it and did get the player it effects the opponents of Eliz the next 4 years. So my opinion is the punishment was nowhere near harsh enought". The statement of it didn't happened was referring to the comment by wbryguy. They didn't get away with it they got caught and put on probabtion. The logic behind him thinking the punishment wasn't harsh enough because of a hypothetical situation is illogical thinking. Punishing someone more for what could have been is not how the world works.

I agree the Coach definitely need to get what was coming but don't punish the team that didnt do anything wrong. This situation and the Riverdale situation are 2 different things

Here is the link to the actually story and tssaa responses

http://www.elizabethton.com/2016/02/24/ehs-girls-basketball-program-to-receive-sanctions-on-possible-rule-violation/

Edited by Swipes

Never equated it to a crime...murder was brought up so here ya go....ever heard of "attempted murder" or is that over looked up there? Yes it's a ridiculous argument considering we are just talking about high school athletics but by what your saying it's absolutely relevant here. Rules and laws are in place to protect against certain things from happening but if they do, those rules and laws bring consequences.

People know the law, but continue to break it every day and get their just due for it. It is my opinion that your coach is a cheater because he knew the rule but went ahead and risked the consequences for the sake of gaining a leg up on his opponent in future years...THATS CHEATING, and your eliz colored glasses are ignorant.

The statement that wbryguy stated " But, if the coach got away with it and did get the player it effects the opponents of Eliz the next 4 years. So my opinion is the punishment was nowhere near harsh enought". The statement of it didn't happened was referring to the comment by wbryguy. They didn't get away with it they got caught and put on probabtion. The logic behind him thinking the punishment wasn't harsh enough because of a hypothetical situation is illogical thinking. Punishing someone more for what could have been is not how the world works.

I agree the Coach definitely need to get what was coming but don't punish the team that didnt do anything wrong. This situation and the Riverdale situation are 2 different things

Here is the link to the actually story and tssaa responses

http://www.elizabethton.com/2016/02/24/ehs-girls-basketball-program-to-receive-sanctions-on-possible-rule-violation/

The situation was not hypothetical...his actions and intent were to influence a player to enroll at his school against TSSAA's regulations. Probation is just a warning not to break the rules further, something that the coach was aware of beforehand...and disregarded.

Adamsville High just forfeited games for playing a transfer who had been declared eligible by TSSAA. The school from which the student last participated provided the administration at Adamsville with the history of participation at their school, which Adamsville forwarded to TSSAA resulting in his approval date to "play" at his new school. The school that the player was formerly attending then sends paperwork to TSSAA with different dates of participation than they gave Adamsville. The result? Forfeiture of all games in which the player participated, even though Adamsville had no fault other than not double checking the numbers given them, and TSSAA has both sets of paperwork proving that Adamsville was "set up".

Now back to the current situation...Adamsville forfeited multiple games and received a lower seed in the tournament for playing someone already approved by TSSAA to participate (was not good enough to start, and played only few minutes)...yet EHS's coach recruits and practices an illegal player and TSSAA wags their finger at him warning him "don't do it again". Is that how the world works? 

The situation was not hypothetical...his actions and intent were to influence a player to enroll at his school against TSSAA's regulations. Probation is just a warning not to break the rules further, something that the coach was aware of beforehand...and disregarded.

Adamsville High just forfeited games for playing a transfer who had been declared eligible by TSSAA. The school from which the student last participated provided the administration at Adamsville with the history of participation at their school, which Adamsville forwarded to TSSAA resulting in his approval date to "play" at his new school. The school that the player was formerly attending then sends paperwork to TSSAA with different dates of participation than they gave Adamsville. The result? Forfeiture of all games in which the player participated, even though Adamsville had no fault other than not double checking the numbers given them, and TSSAA has both sets of paperwork proving that Adamsville was "set up".

Now back to the current situation...Adamsville forfeited multiple games and received a lower seed in the tournament for playing someone already approved by TSSAA to participate (was not good enough to start, and played only few minutes)...yet EHS's coach recruits and practices an illegal player and TSSAA wags their finger at him warning him "don't do it again". Is that how the world works?

So you think Elizabethton should have to forfeit there games because a girl practiced for 30 min and never played in any games or attended that school? Since cheating is cheating? The coach is done after this year anyway so what else did would yall want from the tssaa?

Never equated it to a crime...murder was brought up so here ya go....ever heard of "attempted murder" or is that over looked up there? Yes it's a ridiculous argument considering we are just talking about high school athletics but by what your saying it's absolutely relevant here. Rules and laws are in place to protect against certain things from happening but if they do, those rules and laws bring consequences.

People know the law, but continue to break it every day and get their just due for it. It is my opinion that your coach is a cheater because he knew the rule but went ahead and risked the consequences for the sake of gaining a leg up on his opponent in future years...THATS CHEATING, and your eliz colored glasses are ignorant.

Never once said he didn't cheat. What would have been your punishment? Forfeit the season since he coached on ever game?

So you think Elizabethton should have to forfeit there games because a girl practiced for 30 min and never played in any games or attended that school? Since cheating is cheating? The coach is done after this year anyway so what else did would yall want from the tssaa?

No...once again, read my first post. No team involvement = no team punishment in my book, but the premeditated recruitment of a player should carry more than a warning for the coach.

Sorry for another analogy, but here goes.

Lexington softball coach's own daughter (8'th grader) is on the practice field with the team...reported to the AD and Principal, who in turn investigate and report to TSSAA...punishment is no contact with the team until second week in March and multiple game suspension for the coach...ruling came today. No recruitment involved at all, she will undoubtedly attend Lexington High...but she was on the field with the team during practice...sound familiar? Yet the punishment for the coach's daughter's presence is far greater than the recruitment of an "outsider" who participated in practice? I'm going to ask if you think that Lexington's coach deserved the far greater punishment that he got than Betsy's, and if you can type Y-E-S, I'll apologize and agree with you. Fair?