Meigs v/s Grace Round 4 ding ding!

Newsworthy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts too, uknoit2. If one ref sees the defensive player move and calls it a block, I would think that would win over the charge call. In this case, the block would have favored Meigs and that's what I expected to happen. They huddled a couple times for about 2 minutes before going with the double foul call. It's a judgement call, but now they instruct refs to not make a decision. Crazy!

My thoughts too, uknoit2. If one ref sees the defensive player move and calls it a block, I would think that would win over the charge call. In this case, the block would have favored Meigs and that's what I expected to happen. They huddled a couple times for about 2 minutes before going with the double foul call. It's a judgement call, but now they instruct refs to not make a decision. Crazy!

It happen to Oakdale once this year as well. Referees huddled and then both players charged with a foul and ball back to the offensive team. May as well add replay to the game.

Not just what referees have been instructed to do, it's a rule. From the NFHS Case Book 4-19-8©: A1 drives and releases on a try. Contact between A1 and B1 occurs after the release but before A1 returns to the floor. One official rules a charge, and the other rules a block. RULING: The foul by A1 is not considered a player control foul, but half of a double foul, therefore the ball doesn't become dead on the try. If the basket is successful, count the goal and resume from the point of interruption, which is a throw in for team B along the baseline. If it's no good, the POI is a try in flight, and the arrow is used. Hope this clears up the situation.

Thanks for the rule clarification.  I think it's a bad rule, but it's good to know they were following it in that instance.  

There was another play where a charge was called against Grace and the contact was after the release, but they didn't count the basket.  I know those are tough judgement calls to make sometimes.

I will say that compared to the complaints I hear about lots of games, last night was pretty well officiated.  They did a good job letting both teams play in the 1st half.  They blew the whistle quite a bit more in the 2nd half, but that was as the intensity of the game went up and Meigs got more aggressive driving to the bucket, drawing some foul calls.

Not just what referees have been instructed to do, it's a rule. From the NFHS Case Book 4-19-8©: A1 drives and releases on a try. Contact between A1 and B1 occurs after the release but before A1 returns to the floor. One official rules a charge, and the other rules a block. RULING: The foul by A1 is not considered a player control foul, but half of a double foul, therefore the ball doesn't become dead on the try. If the basket is successful, count the goal and resume from the point of interruption, which is a throw in for team B along the baseline. If it's no good, the POI is a try in flight, and the arrow is used. Hope this clears up the situation.

Thanks for the rule clarification.  I think it's a bad rule, but it's good to know they were following it in that instance.  

There was another play where a charge was called against Grace and the contact was after the release, but they didn't count the basket.  I know those are tough judgement calls to make sometimes.

I will say that compared to the complaints I hear about lots of games, last night was pretty well officiated.  They did a good job letting both teams play in the 1st half.  They blew the whistle quite a bit more in the 2nd half, but that was as the intensity of the game went up and Meigs got more aggressive driving to the bucket, drawing some foul calls.

Foolish rule. But that and the interference call in Football are the 2 most inconsistent rules out there. That being said, Isure wouldn't want to be the one making the calls. The game is just to fast to see everything.

You all really have me in the rule book today. In HS, no basket can be scored on a player control foul, no matter when the ball was released. Case Book 6-7-4: Airborne A1 releases the ball on a try and illegally contacts B1 while returning to the floor. The ball goes through the basket. RULING: Airborne A1's foul immediately causes the ball to become dead. No goal can be scored, even if the ball had gone through the basket before the foul occurred. NCAA Men do it differently.