Meigs v/s Grace Round 4 ding ding!

Newsworthy

You all really have me in the rule book today. In HS, no basket can be scored on a player control foul, no matter when the ball was released. Case Book 6-7-4: Airborne A1 releases the ball on a try and illegally contacts B1 while returning to the floor. The ball goes through the basket. RULING: Airborne A1's foul immediately causes the ball to become dead. No goal can be scored, even if the ball had gone through the basket before the foul occurred. NCAA Men do it differently.

I bet very few knew that and  I think that's also a bad rule.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If two players are running down the floor, side by side, and they make contact and hit the floor, a double foul is to be called.

That's stupid too...Unless there was banging by both players.

I had one of our coaches explain that to me...And all this seems to be safety related also.

I hope from here on we are fortunate enough to only have one ref blowing that whistle on a block/charge call.

Would be a bunch of crud for a player to foul out on such a decision because one ref blew his whistle and really didn't have a good, clear angle

I bet very few knew that and  I think that's also a bad rule.

I'm iffy on that one.....Last seconds of the game and team-a is behind but driving the ball....If a kid from team-a plows over another after he releases and does so knowing he'll foul but likely to make the shot (let's say 6'8 vs 5'8) wouldn't be too fair for the shot to count knowing defensive kid  played within the rules....BUT, I've seen a lot of buckets waved off when actually a D player ran under the said shooter and drew a charge...its a graaaaaaaaaaay area

I'm iffy on that one.....Last seconds of the game and team-a is behind but driving the ball....If a kid from team-a plows over another after he releases and does so knowing he'll foul but likely to make the shot (let's say 6'8 vs 5'8) wouldn't be too fair for the shot to count knowing defensive kid  played within the rules....BUT, I've seen a lot of buckets waved off when actually a D player ran under the said shooter and drew a charge...its a graaaaaaaaaaay area

I think if the shots away before the foul,it should be good. I guess all rules are there for a reason. I'll just watch and let them stripes do their thing.

Thanks again rulesman09.  I haven't played HS ball in over 20 years now, so it's good to learn when it is different from college.

I do find it interesting that in the first example with the block/charge call that the bucket would count, but in this example with it just being a charge, the bucket is waived.

I agree with these other Hampton guys.  It's not a job I'd want to do...usually ends up with unhappy people yelling at you from both sides.

No doubt about that on Tuesday night. They couldn't miss and they did all the things that good teams do to win.

Was the same Saturday night. One kid was 11/12 in the fourth I think while coalfield shot under 50%. GCA is also very good at answering runs with one of their own. I'd expect to see them in the Boro.

That was only my 2nd time seeing Grace last night. You are right about answering runs. Windham was like a dagger. There were at least 2 or 3 times Meigs had momentum and was about to tie it up and Windham nailed a 3.

Was the same Saturday night. One kid was 11/12 in the fourth I think while coalfield shot under 50%. GCA is also very good at answering runs with one of their own. I'd expect to see them in the Boro.