Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Just fewer than 9,000 girls participated in wrestling nationally in 2012 and, in just a five-year span, that number ballooned to 14,587 girls in 2017. Despite the dramatic increase in participants, girls wrestling is still not a sanctioned by a majority of state high school athletic associations including Kansas.

The few states that have sanctioned high school girls wrestling have experienced huge numbers of growth in competition due to the fact that the girls participating can wrestle against other girls for post season tournaments instead of wrestling boys like in non-sanctioned states.

For example:

• The state of Tennessee experienced 294 percent growth in girls wrestling participants from 2014-2017 after sanctioning the sport in 2015.
• California participants increased by 202 percent from 2010-2017.
• Washington state sanctioned girls wrestling in 2007 and had a 628 percent participation increase over the next 10 years.

https://www.hayspost.com/2018/03/11/momentum-for-sanctioned-girls-wrestling-in-kansas-is-growing/

The power in having school administration and local government officials behind your programs...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/school-safety-education-dominate-house,76114

In actions on the House floor Thursday, legislators approved Senate Joint Resolution 628 that credited the athletic achievements of the Cleveland High School state champion wrestling team, but also praised their quality of character.

“… These young men epitomize all that is good in today’s student athletes, as they have achieved the highest level of success and shown the highest degree of character, both in and out of the athletic arena,” the resolution reads.

It added, “… We find it appropriate to acknowledge and applaud the members of the Cleveland High School wrestling team for serving as examples of the high quality of the youth of Tennessee.”

Joey Knox, head coach of the CHS wrestling team, was included in the resolution for his positive influence on the student athletes, who the resolution cited, “… benefited from the vast knowledge and steadfast leadership of their head coach.”

CHS wrestling team members were greeted in Nashville by Brooks, as well as state Sens. Mike Bell (R-Riceville) and Todd Gardenhire (R-Chattanooga).

“We were thrilled to welcome these stellar athletes, and quality young men, to the state Capitol,” Brooks said.

“… These young men epitomize all that is good in today’s student athletes, as they have achieved the highest level of success and shown the highest degree of character, both in and out of the athletic arena.””

— SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION 628 

------------------

Another key ingredient, may $pill over into neighboring country...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/title-ix-polk-needs-new-girls-soccer-field,76139

soccer field

Posted Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:47 am

By LARRY C. BOWERS

Polk County Director of Schools Dr. James Jones announced to the school board Monday evening that  it appears the school system will be installing a new girls soccer field on the Polk County High School campus....

...Jones said the key to these projects is cost. He said he finds himself asking every day (to a variety of projects) "How must will it cost?"

The director briefly brought up another sporting situation for school board members to ponder... the school system's high school wrestling program, and how it can advance.

Jones said he has been talking with Cleveland businessman and entrepreneur Allen Jones about the wrestling program. Allen Jones has been a financial supporter of the Cleveland and Bradley Central wrestling program, easily the top two mat programs in the state. Cleveland won this year's state titles.

"He very much wants to help us," said James Jones. The director of schools added that if they take steps for improvements at Polk County High, they will do the same at Copper Basin.

Edited by Sommers

Delaware State News

Select a category...News--From the EditorGovernmentSchoolsSports--OutdoorsPoliceBusinessPeopleHealthEntertainmentOpinion--Submit Your Opinion

Some of you may be aware of another Smyrna HS up in Delaware that has had a nice run...

ANOTHER GREAT COACH READY TO SEE HIS FAMILY ONCE AGAIN

KUDOS....

5-time state champ coach Kurt Howell steps down at Smyrna

Mar 14th, 2018 · by Andy Walter · Comments: 1
Smyrna-Howell-Kurt-2011-239x300.jpg

Smyrna head coach Kurt Howell (Delaware State News file photo)

SMYRNA — Wrestling has been a part of Kurt Howell’s life for as long as he can remember.

So, at 50, it’s not like he’s going to completely walk away from the sport now.

But after 14 seasons and five DIAA state titles as the head coach at Smyrna High, Howell told his wrestlers on Tuesday night that he’s stepping down as the Eagles’ head coach.

Howell said it probably took them by surprise when he made the announcement at the team’s season-ending banquet.

“I don’t think there was a dry eye in the place last night — including mine,” Howell said on Wednesday.

Howell, though, also told his wrestlers that they’ll still see a lot of him. He’ll remain a psychology and history teacher at the high school.

“I told the boys last night, I’m not dying, I’m not retired,” said Howell. “I’m not leaving the school. I’m going to be here every day. I will probably be in the (wrestling) room. We’ll just have to wait and see who the head coach is.

“I will be able to work with you guys individually and maybe as a group. But I’m just not going to be the guy that’s blowing the whistle.”

There were a few main reasons that Howell decided to step away from head coaching.

For one thing, he’s had joint replacement surgeries on both his shoulders and will probably need a similar operation on one of his knees this summer.

More than that, though, Howell said he wants to be there for his family. He has two sons, including one who wrestles at Smyrna’s middle school.

“It’s very difficult when you’re coaching anything, I guess,” said Howell. “It seems like wrestling just takes everything out of you. You go home and I can’t give the energy that I want to my family and I know they deserve.

“I felt like it was time to tell my family I love them with more than just words.”

An undefeated wrestler at Newark High and an All-American at Clemson, Howell was Indian River’s head coach for six seasons before taking the Smyrna job. Continuing the Eagles’ long run of wrestling success, Smyrna was a perennial contender in the Henlopen Conference under Howell.

The Eagles have reached the Division I state dual-meet finals for six years in a row, capturing the title four straight seasons between 2013-16.

Smyrna lost to Caesar Rodney, 30-29, in the Division I finals last month.

The Eagles also made the Division II title match twice under Howell, winning the crown in 2005.

Howell said he’ll miss the connection he had with his wrestlers but not some of the long busrides to out-of-state tournaments.

“I want to stay on for the kids,” he said. “You develop relationships. That (stepping down) is tough.

“I’m looking forward to kind of being a free-lancer,” Howell added. “I’ll be able to run out to one practice and go to another practice. Then, if I feel like my family needs me at home, I’ll stay home a night.

“I needed to be in that position where I don’t have to be there (at practice).”

Howell is only the sixth wrestling head coach that Smyrna has had since the program started in the early 1960s. The past coaches are still regulars at the Eagles’ matches.

“It (wrestling) just becomes a part of who you are,” said Howell. “That’s one of the things I told my kids last night. … ‘Don’t think you’re not going to be hearing from me. I’m going to be involved in what you’re doing.’

“I’ve definitely enjoyed being part of Smyrna’s program. It’s such a proud tradition here. All the former coaches are part of this program. I see them all the time. They’re always sitting in the same little group in the bleachers. I guess that’s where I’m going to be sitting next year.”

Reach sports editor Andy Walter at walter@newszap.com

UTC's Carr Earns Consolation Win At NCAA Wrestling Tournament

3/15/18

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga senior Bryce Carr is still alive at the NCAA Championships at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.  Carr, the 12th seed at 184 pounds, won his consolation match in the even session to keep his All-American hopes alive. 

Junior Alonzo Allen opened the tournament with a maindraw win in a 125 pigtail match.  He went on to lose his next two to end his season.  Allen finishes the year with a career-best 22-10 overall record. 

The Southern Conference Champion at 125 pounds made his first appearance at the NCAA Championships.

Senior Scottie Boykin, the No. 10 seed at 197 pounds, dropped both of his matches on Day 1.  He finished with a 26-8 mark in 2017-18.  His 94-43 career record includes the eighth most wins in school history. 

A full recap of today's matches is available below. 

NCAA Championships
Quicken Loans Arena – Cleveland, Ohio
Thursday – March 15, 2018
Alonzo Allen
                Sergio Mendez (CSUB) – W, 10-8
                No. 3 Spencer Lee (Iowa) – L-TF, 0-18 (1:41)
                Connor Brown (SDSU) – L-D, 11-16
No. 12 Bryce Carr
                Corey Hazel (LHU) – L, 3-6 (TB1) 
                Brandon Krone (Minn) - W, 7-1              
No. 10 Scottie Boykin
                Chris Weiler (Lehigh) – L, 1-4
                Rocco Caywood (Army) – L, 1-3

Junior Alonzo Allen opened with a high-scoring 10-9 win against Cal State-Bakersfield's Sergio Mendez in the pigtail round at 125.  Allen scored two takedowns in the first period, but gave one up with 10 seconds left in the opening frame.  Mendez was called for locking hands before the first buzzer, giving Allen and 5-4 lead.

Mendez quickly escaped in the second, but Allen took him down again for a 7-5 lead after two.  Allen made it 8-5 before Mendez added a pair of takedowns in the third period.  Allen escaped with 18 seconds left for secure his first win at the NCAA's. 

Allen got caught with an early takedown against Iowa's Spencer Lee, the No. 3 seed at 125.  He got turned and could not get out before allowing an 18-0 technical fall in the first period. 

Senior Bryce Carr, seeded 12th at 184, lost his first round match to Lock Haven's Corey Hazel 6-3 in overtime.  Carr posted an escape and takedown in the second period to gain a 3-0 advantage, but gave up a reversal with 13 seconds left in the second frame. 

An escape by Hazel in the third tied it and sent the match into overtime.  After no score in sudden victory, Hazel kept Carr down in the TB1.  Hazel escaped in TB2 and took down Carr in a scramble for the final tally.

Senior Scottie Boykin, seeded 10th at 197, lost his first round match to Lehigh's Chris Weiler 4-1.  There were no points scored in the first two periods, but Weiler rode Boykin out in the second period.  Weiler escaped in the third for a 1-0 lead with 1:55 in riding time. 

Boykin earned a point on a stalling call with 13 seconds left and nearly had a takedown.  Unfortunately, he gave one up in the ensuing scramble with four seconds left. 
Up next for Boykin is Army-West Point's Rocco Caywood in the backdraw that start's at 7:00 p.m. 

Allen's run at the NCAAs ended in the consolations on Thursday with a 16-11 loss to South Dakota State's Connor Brown.  Brown opened with two takedowns and four back points in the first period to build an 8-1 lead. 

Allen did not lay down and battled back to within a point.  He posted two takedowns in the score to close the gap to 10-5.  In the third, Allen opened with a takedown and two stalling calls to close the gap to 11-8.  It was 11-10 after another takedown with just under a minute left.  However, Brown scored a reversal and two backpoints to close out the match. 

Allen finishes the year with a career-best 22-10 overall record.  The Southern Conference Champion at 125 pounds made his first appearance at the NCAA Championships.

Carr scored a solid 7-1 win over Brandon Krone in the consolations at 184 pounds.  He held a 2-0 lead after a takedown in the first and went up 4-0 after a reversal in the second.  Another takedown in the third and over three minutes of riding time rounded out the scoring. 

Up next for Carr is Wisconsin's Ricky Robertson. 

Boykin dropped his first consolation match to Army's Rocco Caywood 3-1.  A takedown in the first period proved to be the difference in this very tight match.  Boykin was close on a double late in the third, but could not even the score. 

Carr ended up winning in consoles over Minnesota Wisconsin and Rutgers eventually losing too Gabe Dean's younger brother Max of Cornell. 

web-logo.png

UTC's Bryce Carr falls just short of All-America wrestling status

March 17th, 2018by Gene Henleyin Sports - CollegeRead Time: < 1 min.

Bryce Carr fought his way through the consolations Friday afternoon in Cleveland, Ohio, but the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 184-pound wrestler's pursuit of being the program's first All-American in 10 seasons fell one win short.

Carr led after two periods but lost a 6-4 decision to Cornell's Maxwell Dean in the "blood round" of the NCAA Championships at Quicken Loans Arena.

The UTC senior was attempting to become the first Moc to earn All-America honors since Cody Cleveland placed eighth at 141 pounds in 2008. He advanced through three rounds of consolations, earning a 3-1 sudden victory over Wisconsin's Ricky Robertson with a takedown in the extra period followed by a 7-3 win over Rutgers' Nick Gravinal

Edited by Sommers

More on former Clemson great, retiring coach Howell of another Smyrna HS up north, and what he did past his early days in a TOUGH wrestling state...

From the sports editor: Wrestling will still be a big part of Howell’s life

Mar 17th, 2018 · by Andy Walter · Comments: 0
Howell-KKurt-225x300.jpg

Kurt Howell

Kurt Howell may have been as good a wrestler as Delaware has ever produced.

His 108-0 record at Newark High followed by a 100-22 mark at Clemson would put him in anybody’s league.

So for Howell, saying that his body wouldn’t let him get on the mat with his wrestlers any more is no small thing.

But it was also the harsh truth for the 50-year-old Smyrna High coach after having joint replacement surgeries in both shoulders.

His health was one of the main reasons why Howell told his team on Tuesday that he was stepping down as their head coach.

“It’s made it kind of difficult to do what I do,” said Howell, who also may need a knee replacement. “I’ve had a few talks with people about, ‘Yeah, you can coach different ways. You can be the coach that stands back and does the organizing, runs the program and lets the younger guys do the technique and wrestling.’

“I thought about it, but it’s not my thing. … I feel like my best thing is getting in there and teaching kids how to wrestle.”

So after winning five dual-meet state titles in 14 seasons under Howell, the Eagles have to find a new wrestling coach.

The proud program has had only six head coaches since Ron Eby was hired in 1964. Eby was followed by Buddy Lloyd who was followed by Mike Dulinwho was followed by Clay Lloyd who was followed by David Morrison who was followed by Howell.

After Eby, Howell was the first one in that group to come from outside the Smyrna wrestling ‘family.’ It will be interesting to see where the Eagles go next.

Presumably there will be a lot of potential coaches for a program with over 600 all-time victories, a ton of tradition and a committed community.

Howell said he’s had some preliminary discussions with Smyrna athletic director Bill Schultz about possible replacements.

At the same time, don’t be surprised to still see Howell around the Smyrna wrestling room. He’s going to remain a teacher at the school.

“Don’t think you’re not going to be hearing from me,” Howell said he told his wrestlers. “‘I’m going to be involved in what you’re doing. I’m going to be guessing your weight when you walk down the hallway.’

“It’s something they always laugh about,” he explained. “I can usually just look at them and tell them what they weigh — within a pound.

“It just becomes a part of who you are,” Howell said about wrestling. “Wrestling is a part of who I am.”

-----------------------------------

Down in GA....

A little  taste of how Tom Beuglas keeps reloading at Buford, before that Archer and Parkview..

He’s about as tough a kid as anybody we have. He’s not going to give up.

“It’s funny because when he was younger, he wasn’t very good. He didn’t have a very good record, couldn’t get in the (regular) lineup. He had to wrestle up a couple of weight classes just to get a spot. I think as he got older, he got a lot more confident, and that was a big reason he got much better.”

“Winning back-to-back duals (and traditional state) championships was great,” Bozoian said. “But probably my favorite part — I know winning state was my dream — but my brother was an alternate on our team. He was a (junior varsity) kid and we brought him up because one of our kids couldn’t make weight. He had to fill a spot because 120 (pounds) was kind of open.

“He wasn’t really experienced. So we threw him out there in area and he got past area. Then sectionals came around and he won one (match) and lost one. So all he had to do was (win) one more. And the best part of my season was when he won to make it to the state tournament. That was probably my favorite part after wrestling with him all year and having him with me (at the GMVWA Invitational) in Ohio, and he went with us to (the) Kansas City (Stampede), I think. It was really awesome.”

Like Bo Nickal yesterday...

Wrestling at 170 points in the Wolves’ championship meet against Woodland-Cartersville at the state duals, he fought out of a near-pin predicament to manage a reversal of Jacob Frye with 12 seconds left in the match to score a 10-8 victory, which vaulted Buford in front for good in what turned out to be a championship-clinching 34-30 win.

“That was huge for us,” Beuglas said of Bozoian’s clutch victory. “That was pretty indicative of his personality. 

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sports/wrestler-of-the-year-buford-s-bozoian-takes-matters-into/article_dd57ad2f-09fb-5c87-b6f1-b1c4a7b47c55.html

Edited by Sommers

UTC Update from Parthenon via FB...

Coach Eslinger NCAA Recap:

"What a great and exhausting weekends for wrestling fans in Cleveland, OH at the 2018 NCAA tournament.  The emotional roller coaster for fans, parents, coaches and most of all the athletes if filled with so many highs and lows.   The pain of a tough loss and the thrill of an overtime victory are simply inches apart but bring such different emotions.

I want to say first and foremost that I am proud of our 3 athletes that represented us this weekend.  They are truly what Chattanooga Wrestling is about as a family.  Alonzo Allen showed that he can compete on that stage and I am confident his summer will be about preparing for that moment in Pittsburgh in 2019.  Scottie Boykin had a disappointing weekend but I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of who Scottie Boykin is and all he has done for our program.  He  had a phenomenal career and we will evaluate that as a whole and not just one weekend.  He is hurting but I know he is going to do great things in the next season of his life.  Bryce Carr was within moments of becoming Chattanooga's 11th NCAA Division I All-American and we simply let one get by us.  Bryce has been an absolute joy to have in our program and has truly done everything right to position himself to reach his goals.  I have continually played that match in my mind and have come to realize we can't go back but have to move forward.  We are grateful for all that Bryce has brought to Chattanooga Wrestling and we are excited to see what the next season of life has in store for him.

Many will ask if all this is worth it.  I say with a resounding yes that it is worth it.  Our sport is so different from others today in that it truly does allow a young boy to grow into a man.  I am proud to say that we are sending out men into this world who are prepared and ready for the battles that life will throw at them.   They will be faithful alumni, great fathers and husbands, and will contribute positively to the community in which they live.   If you see them, tell them thanks for their work and dedication to Chattanooga Wrestling.

What Now?

It's 8:20 am this morning and we are back at it.  Most individuals live in a world of "why me" and "what if's" but I can assure you I will always be a "what's next" person.  We were on the phones recruiting yesterday and have some great prospects scheduled to make their way to Chattanooga.  I know that it can be done here and I also know it's going to take work.  Join in with us as we continue to do the work.

I want to say a special thanks to our Athletic Director Mark Wharton and our Associate Athletic Director Jay Blackman for being in Cleveland with us this weekend.  Their vision for Chattanooga Wrestling is crucial and I am confident they are excited to help this program reach new levels of success both on and off the mat.

I will be sending out banquet dates soon so be on the lookout for all the things happening this Spring.  Thanks to all of you for your support of Chattanooga Wrestling!"

Getting behind their wrestling...

cdb-nameplate.png
Toggle navigationMain menu

County honors CHS wrestlers

A PROCLAMATION declaring Feb. 17 as "Cleveland Raiders Wrestling Day" was presented during Monday's Bradley County Commission meeting. From left are Cleveland High School wrestling coach Joey Knox, Bradley County Mayor D. Gary Davis, state champion wrestler Austin Sweeney, and Bradley County Commission Chairman Louie Alford.
A PROCLAMATION declaring Feb. 17 as "Cleveland Raiders Wrestling Day" was presented during Monday's Bradley County Commission meeting. From left are Cleveland High School wrestling coach Joey Knox, Bradley County Mayor D. Gary Davis, state champion wrestler Austin Sweeney, and Bradley County Commission Chairman Louie Alford.
BANNER PHOTO, AUTUMN HUGHES
 Buy this photo
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:20 am

By AUTUMN HUGHES

An outstanding Cleveland High School team was honored during Monday’s meeting of the Bradley County Commission.

Bradley County Mayor D. Gary Davis presented a proclamation honoring the CHS wrestling team for outstanding achievement, and declaring Saturday, Feb. 17, as “Cleveland Raiders Wrestling Day”

According to the proclamation, the Cleveland Blue Raiders Wrestling Team, coached by Joey Knox, “earned the title of State Champions, their 14th overall, after winning the 2018 TSSAA AAA State Duals Championship on Saturday, February 3, 2018, in Franklin, TN, and two weeks later the 2018 TSSAA AAA Traditional State Championships in Franklin, TN, on Saturday, February 17, 2018 …”

In addition, wrestler Austin Sweeney “earned the elite accomplishment of State Champion” and the Cleveland Blue Raiders Wrestling Team “completed a 34-1 record earning championships at Cleveland Duals, Smokey Mountain Duals, Virginia High Invitation Region Duals, and Region Traditional …”

“The Bradley County Commission hereby declares that Cleveland/Bradley County is the #1 wrestling team in the state of Tennessee and any team wanting to win a state championship must come through our community first!”

Following the proclamation presentation, Knox thanked Davis and the commission, adding that he and his wrestlers appreciate the “tremendous support” of the program.

quote.png
“The Bradley County Commission hereby declares that Cleveland/Bradley County is the #1 wrestling team in the state of Tennessee and any team wanting to win a state championship must come through our community first!””

— COUNTY PROCLAMATION

Buford grad Ness is Gwinnett’s third NCAA Division I All-American wrestler

• From Staff Reports

sports@gwinnettdailypost.com

Mar 19, 2018

Buford grad Ness is Gwinnettâs third NCAA Division I All-American wrestler

For the third straight year, Gwinnett County has an All-American at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.

Buford grad Chip Ness secured his All-American status at 184 pounds with a big victory Friday night, then defeated No. 9 seed Max Dean of Cornell 6-3 for seventh place in the event. The North Carolina junior entered NCAAs unseeded, but defeated three seeded opponents this week.

He joined Collins Hill grads Sean Russell (2017) and Ryan Millhof (2016) was All-Americans from Gwinnett. Millhof was the county’s first NCAA Division I All-American wrestler in 2016.

Ness lost to No. 2 seed Myles Martin of Ohio State in Friday’s quarterfinals before facing Navy’s Michael Coleman in a tense match. The winner was guaranteed All-American status, while the loser was eliminated.

Down 3-2 with less than a minute left in the final period, Ness scored a takedown and two back points near the edge of the mat. He fought off a late attack to secure All-American status.

Ness, who missed last season with a redshirt, also made the NCAA field in 2015-16 as a wild card. He went 1-2 at 197 pounds that season.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/buford-grad-ness-is-gwinnett-s-third-ncaa-division-i/article_cfc5e0ae-d0cf-5fb2-9c0a-5a2aa117b0e3.html

Reloading...

CLEVELAND HIGH SCHOOL'S wrestling team swept at the TSSAA State Duals and Traditional tournaments in February, and has enjoyed the honors and recognition.
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:19 am

By PATRICK MacCOON

Even after Cleveland High School’s sweep at TSSAA Duals and Traditional tournament this season, the state’s most dominant team from this past season has not stopped working.

However, taking a break in between open gym time in preparation for national tournaments, the team has enjoyed its victory laps as well from a season of hard work.

On Feb. 17 of next year, the Bradley County Commission dedicated the day to be known as "Cleveland Raiders Wrestling Day."

“To have a day named after our team is pretty cool,” individual state champion Austin Sweeney said. “It means a lot to me and the team. We put forth a lot of hard work and pushed ourselves. We weren’t going to stop until we won both state championships. The reward was worth it.”

The Blue Raiders' dominance on the mats saw 34 wins rack up and only one loss against a Wyoming Seminary school ranked one of  the top three programs in the country.

A strong grip could not be broken by top competitors in the state, as even private schools  fell hard to the mats as Cleveland dominated its Al Miller Duals.

“This season’s success came from so much hard work,” said freshman and state runner-up Trae McDaniel, who led the team with 37 wins. “Private schools can recruit kids from all over the country, but we still came out on top and beat every in-state opponent we faced.”

After taking trips to the Tennessee Senate, as well as being honored by the Cleveland City Council, Board of Education and now the County Commission, Cleveland is thankful.

“These kids are getting recognized and are being followed by so many in the community,” CHS head coach Joey Knox said. “It means a lot because you don’t get that support everywhere you go. It’s great to have that here and we appreciate the honors.”

The grind does not stop here for the Blue Raiders, who have 14 overall team state championships compared to Bradley Central’s state-best 26.

“At the beginning of the year everyone was saying we were going to win, so we had a target on our back from the start,” Knox said. “I think we are going to continue to deal with that pressure. We have to let it drive us forward. We can’t relax and think the job is done. We have to get right back to work and start preparing ourselves for next year.”

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/6-cols-cleveland-blue-raiders-wrestling-honored-by-county-commission,76633

Former UTC coach...

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/3/23/wrestling-chris-bono-named-wisconsin-wrestling-head-coach.aspx

Congrats to coach Bono!!

Incredible...

Cornell wrestler wins three matches, NCAA title with torn ACL

Ryan Young
Yahoo SportsMarch 24, 2018
Cornell’s Yianni Diakomihalis, bottom, won the 141-pound NCAA title last week with a torn ACL. (AP Photo/David Dermer)
Cornell’s Yianni Diakomihalis, bottom, won the 141-pound NCAA title last week with a torn ACL. (AP Photo/David Dermer)

Cornell freshman Yianni Diakomihalis went down after the opening minute of his NCAA quarterfinal match, and knew something was wrong.

It was his right knee. He knew it, wincing as he went back to the center of the mat. His coaches knew it. Diakomihalis, though, kept going.

Diakomihalis knocked off two-time NCAA champion Dean Heil, and then kept his run alive, beating Jaydin Eierman and Bryce Meredith to win the 141-pound NCAA title — becoming just the 19th person to do so as a true freshman in tournament history.After winning the championship, though, a post-tournament MRI confirmed what his trainer had suspected since the quarterfinal match: Diakomihalis had torn his ACL.“It’s just remarkable. It just shows the kind of kid he is and he wasn’t 100 percent,” Cornell coach Rob Koll told Track Wrestling’s Andy Hamilton on Friday. “But when you get to the national championship, you do what you’ve got to do. We always say, this time of year there are no such thing as injuries. You’re not hurt. No one cares. You’ve got all summer to get healed up.”

Diakomihalis — who finished his first colegiate season with a 34-1 record — is scheduled to have surgery on his knee next week in New York City.

The Rochester, New York, native was apparently, though, trying to keep his injury under wraps — even more than a week after winning his title.

Cornell wrestler wins three matches, NCAA title with torn ACL

Ryan Young
Yahoo SportsMarch 24, 2018

Cornell freshman Yianni Diakomihalis went down after the opening minute of his NCAA quarterfinal match, and knew something was wrong.

It was his right knee. He knew it, wincing as he went back to the center of the mat. His coaches knew it. Diakomihalis, though, kept going.

Diakomihalis knocked off two-time NCAA champion Dean Heil, and then kept his run alive, beating Jaydin Eierman and Bryce Meredith to win the 141-pound NCAA title — becoming just the 19th person to do so as a true freshman in tournament history.

After winning the championship, though, a post-tournament MRI confirmed what his trainer had suspected since the quarterfinal match: Diakomihalis had torn his ACL.

“It’s just remarkable. It just shows the kind of kid he is and he wasn’t 100 percent,” Cornell coach Rob Koll told Track Wrestling’s Andy Hamilton on Friday. “But when you get to the national championship, you do what you’ve got to do. We always say, this time of year there are no such thing as injuries. You’re not hurt. No one cares. You’ve got all summer to get healed up.”

Diakomihalis — who finished his first colegiate season with a 34-1 record — is scheduled to have surgery on his knee next week in New York City.

The Rochester, New York, native was apparently, though, trying to keep his injury under wraps — even more than a week after winning his title.

Edited by Sommers

Three Florida wrestlers win middle school national titles at NHSCA

Three middle school wrestler from Florida took home national titles on Sunday at the NHSCA Nationals in Virginia Beach.

Marc-Anthony McGowan defeated Spencer Moore 5-1 to win the 85-pound crown at the tournament.

McGowan pinned all five of his opponents before the final, with only one making it past the first period.

Braden Basile also won a national title, scoring a reversal with 12 seconds left in tie-breaker 2 to beat Tennessee’s Brayden Ivy 4-3 in the 95-pound final.

The third Florida win came from Jack Crook. The 119-pounder blanked Tennessee’s Garrett Foreman 6-0 in the final to take home the crown.

Basile and Crook are both eighth graders and will be freshman at Tampa Jesuit in the fall.

Brendon Abdon
Brendon Abdon finished second at 115 pounds in the middle school tournament. (Courtesy of Daniel Walker/Lake Gibson Wrestling)

Brendon Abdon (115) and Mikey Tal Shahar (180) also reached the finals for the state of Florida.

Abdon will be at Lake Gibson next year as a freshman and Tal Shahar wrestled this season for American Heritage/Delray Beach.

Three more wrestlers finished on the podium with Tim Crook (112) and Jonathan Ley (135) both earning third place and Colby Udertiz (119) taking seventh.

Crook will be a freshman at Tampa Jesuit next season. Ley wrestled this year for Mater Lakes and Uderitz wrestled with Tal Shahar at American Heritage.

Bookmark our wrestling homepage for the best coverage in the state »

Middle school results

Finals

85: Marc-Anthony McGowan (FL) dec. Spencer Moore (KY) 5-1

95: Braden Basile (FL) dec. Brayden Ivy (TN) 4-3

115: Derek Ralke (WV) p. Brendan Abdon (FL) 0:28

119: Jack Crook (FL) dec. Garrett Foreman (TN) 6-0

180: David Harper (GA) dec. Mikey Tal Shahar (FL) 7-5

Third place

112: Tom Crook (FL) dec. Carter Baer (NY) 6-5

135: Jonathan Ley (FL) dec. Michael Altomer (NY) 1-0

Seventh place

119: Colby Uderitz (FL) mff. Colby Keilholtz (MD)

Complete results

Marc-Anthony McGowan - Tampa (6-0, First place)

R64: W - E. McCullough (GA) 0:41

R32: W - G. Bouyssou (RI) 1:26

R16: W - E. Arneson (MD) 1:16

QF: W - C. Stewart (NY) 1:08

SF: W - S. Logue (PA) 2:30

F: W - S. Moore (KY) 5-1

Alexander Walker - Lakeland (2-2)

R32: W - E. Lipsey (TN) 7-0

R16: L - S. Macintosh (MA) 0:31

C16#2: W - C. Cole (AZ) 2-0

C8#1: L - G. Bouyssou (RI) 4-2

Hayden Whiden - Winter Haven (3-2)

R32: L - S. Logue (PA) 2-0

C16#1: W - J. Riggs (WV) 8-2

C16#2: W - D. Guanajuato (AZ) 5-0

C8#1: W - E. Lindner (CT) 7-0

C8#2: L - C. Stewart (NY) 0:38

Calvin Williams - Panama City (1-2)

R32: L - S. Moore (KY) 0:56

C32#2: W - E. McCullough (GA) 1-0

C16#1: L - K. Cullen (NY) 1:57

Braden Basile - Tampa (6-0, First place)

R64: W - R. Napodano (NY) 12-2

R32: W - M. Sells (TN) 13-0

R16: W - D. Rochester (GA) 4-1

QF: W - W. Ogle (AZ) 4-0

SF: W - K. MOntaperto (NC) 5-2

F: W - B. Ivy (TN) 4-3

Christian Guzman - Miami (0-2)

R32: L - D. Lang (UT) 4:19

C16#1: L - N. Lamorte (NY) 9-0

Blake Walker - Lakeland (1-2)

R32: W - N. Blaha (CT) 1:23

R16: L - J. Baglio (NC) 2:36

C16#2: L - M. Sells (TN) 4-2

Gage Butler - Polk City (1-2)

R64: W - J. Crowe (KY) 1:05

R32: L - R. Summerlin (AL) 15-5

C32#2: L - J. Holden (KY) 1:41

Ryan King - West Palm Beach (1-2)

R64: W - J. Burger (KY) 6-0

R32: L - X. Bentley (GA) 0:39

C32#2: L - K. Nichols (FL) 6-2

Aiden Moore - Gainesville (2-2)

R32: L - D. Panone (GA) 2:10

C32#2: W - J. Crowe (KY) 1:21

C16#1: W - C. Johnston (AL) 1:25

C16#2: L - K. Cannedy (TN) 6-0

Kason Nichols - Gainesville (2-2)

R64: L - C. Lee (VA) 9-1

C32#2: W - R. King (FL) 6-2

C16#1: W - B. McLaughlin (VT) 4-1

C16#2: L - K. Bourjelli (CT) 5-0

Brendon Abdon - Lakeland (5-1, Second place)

R64: W - S. Caul (VA) TF 2:05

R32: W - E. Doyle (NY) 1:12

R16: W - K. Ramirez (WV) 14-6

QF: W - K. Briscoe (PA) 2-1

SF: W - C. Shubert (NY) 2-1

F: L - D. Raike (WV) 0:28

Tom Crook - Tampa (6-1, Third place)

R32: W - W. Garrett (AL) 14-1

R16: W - D. Makupson (NC) 4:11

QF: L - D. Ralke (WV) 5-2

C8#2: W - K. Ramirez (WV) 11-1

Consi4: W - M. Vargo (SC) 6-5

ConsiS: W - C. Schubert (NY) 3-0

Third: W - C. Baer (NY) 6-5

Van Huffman - Miami (1-2)

R64: L - O. Hicks (TX) 7-0

C32#2: W - D. Pittinger (MD) 2:52

C16#1: L - B. Rogers 4-0

Jack Crook - Tampa (5-0, First place)

R32: W - C. Keilholtz (MD) 7-2

R16: W - A. Brandon (IN) 5-1

QF: W - M. Valencia (OH) 18-7

SF: W - N. Coletta (NJ) 3:34

F: W - G. Foreman (TN) 6-0

Colby Uderitz - Delray Beach (5-2, Seventh place)

R32: L - G. Foreman (TN) 2:45

C16#1: W - G. Mayes (KY) 14-4

C16#2: W - B. Parker (NC) 8-4

C8#1: W - S. Goins (NC) 5-0

C8#2: W - T. Lintner (OH) 4-2

Consi4: L - M. Jones (WV) 1:31

Seventh: W - C. Keilholtz (MD) MF

Wylie Debarr - Panama City (2-2)

R32: L - A. Fricchione (NY) 1:59

C16#1: W - W. Debarr (FL) 4-1

C16#2: W - C. Guzman (NY) 6-3

C8#1: L - C. Rutherford (RI) 2-0

Jonathan Ley - Miami (6-1, Third place)

R32: W - O. Prentice (OH) 8-5

R16: W - C. Guzman (NY) 1:13

QF: L - N. Hall (DE) 5-1

C8#2: W - H. Jones (AL) 9-0

Consi4: W - C. Dalon (TN) 0:51

ConsiS: W - G. Liguori (CT) 10-8

Third: W - M. Altomer (NY) 2-1

Favian Oliva - Miami (2-2)

R32: L - N. Taylor (GA) 12-2

C16#1: W - G. Burgess (NY) 1:19

C16#2: W - J. Seaton (VA) 8-1

C8#1: L - A. Valle (AZ) 9-1

Mikey Tal Shahar - Boca Raton (3-1, Second place)

R16: W - S. Morrison (NC) 1:45

QF: W - B. Garcia (CO) 7-6

SF: W - K. Charles (SC) 3:49

F: L - D. Harper (GA) 7-5

Follow our wrestling coverage on Twitter at OSWrestle and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/OSWrestle/